BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Writing a book

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There have been some good books written about football which have a wider appeal than just one club's supporters. In the right hands, telling the Blackburn story may be interesting to the fans of other teams.

The trouble is that the story which everyone wants to hear is the story that can't be told for legal reasons ? So if the book were to be written in a straight jacket, and just turn out to be a rehash of what everyone knows already, it would be pretty bland.

The suggestion to use a decent ghost writer is a good one. Alternatively you could write a work of fiction, with a few twists and turns similar to Robert Harris' book The Ghost ?

I wouldn't bother because it won't make any money and will only appeal to a minority of people. Why don't you just spend the money and reveal the 'truth' on a well-produced website that can then provide another purpose?

For the last few weeks I have been discussing with Mark Fish the possibility of the pair of us writing a book regarding the last 2 years.

There is so much happened in the last 2 years, where various things have been produced, many conversations had, whilst eye witness to many key developments at Rovers.

Please dont have a go at us on this thread as I have opened it really to get some advice of the DO'S N DON'TS

Would you write one?

Based on your posts on here and the terrible press releases you put out, NO.

How we would go by doing it?

If you sure you want to do it, then take a refresher course in English and ask this question again using the correct grammar/syntax.

How much would it cost?

Much more than it would be worth...

Does anyone have any contacts regarding Books who you feel maybe able to help us?

No, but try the Blackburn College website for those English courses.

Will lifting the lid on things, damage the clubs long term future or will it perhaps steer it to having one?

Neither, nobody will publish or read it...

Please honest thoughts

Thanks

Don't want to be harsh but you come across as having become a bit delusional and egotistical. You did the right thing organising the protests etc but writing a book that people would want to read is well beyond most people, and that definitely includes you...

Fact of the matter is, self-publishing is free - if you discount the mountain of hours of work involved in planning, drafting, re-drafting, editing, designing, promoting, soliciting, etc - nowadays. Amazon, iBooks, plenty of desktop publishing avenues.

You have to look at your aims. If it's not about money, offer it for free. If it is about money, good luck seeing anything back.

If it's about exposure, then, as has been mentioned, are you bringing something new to the table? Is what you're writing worth anyone's time? Are you legally covered to bring any new information to the table? Can you add anything to the drama around our club?

People are engaging less with print media and more with visual media. Someone (damned if I remember who) was shooting a documentary about the past two years, I recall. An hour-long exposé would definitely engage with a larger audience. Look at the QPR documentary. Some of the rumours we've heard over the last two years would make for far more scandalous viewing, if they can be substantiated. Having said that, documentary filmmaking can be a very arduous, unpredictable, frustrating and daunting task - much the same as writing a book. It's also very easy to look incredibly amateurish, if you don't know what you're doing - much like writing a book, also. You need to attempt to construct your narrative before you even start filming, then be able to fully adapt to what you're putting in the can, because it will never play out as you anticipated.

Don't forget what you're trying to achieve. My belief is that, in creative endeavours, if your project is financially-motivated, you're more than likely to fail. It's staying true to your message and your idealistic goals that brings success.

You're a fan of this club, nothing more. Never forget that.

The actual aim of writing the book was for it to be written detailing more in depth, the findings and eye witness accounts of the last 2 years. Michael Blackburn asked us for our imput into his, but we had to be very careful what we disclosed at that time.

By putting things together now, including contents of what went to the authorities and having it legally checked from front to back by the groups solicitors, I was just thinking it would be the best way to explain what we had found out, or not found out from the two years of mess.

It may also put pressure in the right directions, to bring about a solution to the whole mess

Michaels book is very good, and is written from an observers perspective rather than a perspective from people who have been closer to the inner dynamics involved in the last 2 years.

Your probably better doing an epic well written and presented Blog 1st and if that gets enough hits take it a step further.

(Judging by a lot of the statements and tweets youve made recently any book would probably have to go in the fiction/fantasy section, unless you have some hard evidence and a very very good lawyer!)

Michaels book is very good, and is written from an observers perspective rather than a perspective from people who have been closer to the inner dynamics involved in the last 2 years.

most importantly it was written by an actual talented and published author(and that's not meant as a dig, just a simple truth).

Guest Norbert

That's true T.J. I thought the Da Vinci code had a good story, but was ruined as Dan Brown can't write for s__t. If Robert Harris came up with the story, it would have been really good. I'm sure I could come up with a really good synopsis and outline for a book, but I couldn't write an engaging story.

Only one bit of advice. Get a solicitor on board very early. Not just some generic no-win no-fee ambulance (or forum) chaser, but somebody with a proven track record of defending libel in printed publications, somebody who can put you in contact with an editor with experience of editing in tricky legal situations. Remember, something just being the truth isn't enough, you need to be able to prove it's the truth and you've made a few enemies over the last two years that probably have much deeper pockets and experience in the field than you do.

Only one bit of advice. Get a solicitor on board very early. Not just some generic no-win no-fee ambulance (or forum) chaser, but somebody with a proven track record of defending libel in printed publications, somebody who can put you in contact with an editor with experience of editing in tricky legal situations. Remember, something just being the truth isn't enough, you need to be able to prove it's the truth and you've made a few enemies over the last two years that probably have much deeper pockets and experience in the field than you do.

+100.

Archived