BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rhodes or Best?

If Rhodes can't adapt his game then he'll be a lower Championship/upper League One player for the rest of his career. He's got the techique and work ethic to do it, the change in coaching staff since his arrival won't have helped at all.

Rhodes may only ever be a Championship striker. Time will tell. My disagreement with you was that I'm not sure he has attributes to adapt much. He can still be an impact player in the Premier League IMO.

Hernandez/ Solskjaer type.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The problem with Rhodes is he is a poor footballer who does not have the basic skills required of a modern striker. He is also not big and physical enough. He needs to put in alot of hard work in the gym and on the training field if he wants to make progress and play at the highest level.

Rhodes is actually quite big - but doesn't impose this in anyway. His lack of out right pace goes against him when playing against the better defenders.

However - his movement off the ball (to find space in the penalty area) is brilliant - as is his finishing.

For me it is all about the service - not just to score goals - but how we move from back to front. It has been obvious that he wins little in the air when challenging for long balls - and struggles with long balls played behind the defence (unless the defence is slow) - but balls direct to his feet, he does lay off reasonably well.

IMO he needs to look at Kevin Davies - who reinvented himself - if he can add the hold up play of Davies (and general awkwardness) to his already impressive work rate - he will do ok at all levels. Add to this the finishing ability - which is at least Premiership class - he will be a very useful player.

Rhodes may only ever be a Championship striker. Time will tell. My disagreement with you was that I'm not sure he has attributes to adapt much.

Agreed. I think what we see, is what we get. His all round game - or lack of it - was always going to be the reason why the big clubs stayed away. I mean, top clubs cover every aspect of football these days, even Academy lads at any other club don't escape the prying eyes of the big guys. Rhodes would have been looked at by every team in the pl - and none of them thought he would make that standard.

Not a criticism of him, just an assessment. He does what he's good at, well.

Rhodes scores goals given the time and space against weak defences such as Peterborough but outside the penalty area he is worse than useless which is why he will never cut it in the Premier League and cannot be described as "quality".

It makes you wonder what these players and coaches do on the training field every day. Rhodes needs to be taught and needs to learn how to play with his back to goal, how to get his body between the ball and the defender and how to keep the ball under pressure from a close-marking defender and pass to one of our own players.

At the moment he can do none of these things with the result that when we are under pressure we have no one up front who can relieve the pressure and keep hold of the ball. He also lacks pace and has a strange running style which makes him look like he's running through treacle.

Top strikers like those in the Premier League have to be more than just goal-scorers. Rhodes is not "quality".

This is a good assessment of Rhodes. I played with lads in the amateur and semi professional ranks who were better at the highlighted skills than Rhodes is. Having said all that our all time leading goalscorer didn't ever play at the highest level, doesn't make him any less of a legend.

You wouldn't say Defoe, Van Persie, Suarez etc (the list is endless) are natural leaders of the line, but tactics nowadays are such that they've had to learn and had to adapt. That's just the way the game is. All those strikers would probably love to play alongside a big man doing the donkey work for them.

The difference is all those striker named above can operate on their own up front, which Rhodes at the moment is incapable of doing. He has time to develop of course and he is not yet fully developed physically but he needs to work hard. Someone mentioned Kevin Davies and he is a good example of a player who worked hard and changed his game. Rhodes needs to do the same. I hope we can keep him because he is not yet the finished article and like Davies we lose him to another club and not get the best years out of him.

This is a good assessment of Rhodes. I played with lads in the amateur and semi professional ranks who were better at the highlighted skills than Rhodes is. Having said all that our all time leading goalscorer didn't ever play at the highest level, doesn't make him any less of a legend.

Rhodes at present is very much like Simon Garner, another player whose all-round game wasn't good enough for the highest level.

The difference is all those striker named above can operate on their own up front, which Rhodes at the moment is incapable of doing. He has time to develop of course and he is not yet fully developed physically but he needs to work hard. Someone mentioned Kevin Davies and he is a good example of a player who worked hard and changed his game. Rhodes needs to do the same. I hope we can keep him because he is not yet the finished article and like Davies we lose him to another club and not get the best years out of him.

Rhodes at present is very much like Simon Garner, another player whose all-round game wasn't good enough for the highest level.

Utter tripe, by the way how can anyone argue the toss between Rhodes and Best when Best hasn't even kicked a ball for us in earnest, without Rhodes goals we would be a LOT worse off.

It's bizarre how people are picking the lad to bits and comparing him to a whole host of different players. He's been a cracking signing, without his excellent goals to shots ratio we'd be towards the foot of the table. The lad works his socks off every game and can hold the ball up and link up play - but only when the sluggish full-backs and midfield get up to support him. He has created chances himself and hasn't been provided with good service for the majority of games. Rochina and Kazim-Richards have only just started to attempt to link up with him and are beginning to show an interest in a 'team' game. His main issue is when the likes of Dann simply lump it towards him - but genuinely what is he expected to do? Suddenly morph into Roque Santa Cruz and hold the ball up, keep shrugging off a six foot four centre back for five seconds and then slide the ball out wide to an imaginary marauding full-back? He is what he is and is pure and simply a class finisher and poacher...we knew what we were buying into didn't we?

It just seems like some people on here think he should be like for like in terms of atributes with Van Persie, Defoe and a load of other, much more talented players...it's absolutely mental on this site these days, especially from those that don't even go to the games.

He just needs to be inside the box, at the right place and at the right tim. Head, foot, arm, nose, ear, don't matter how he scores them, he just needs to be there. Why does he need to play with his back to defenders? Its our quality from the wings that need to be improved on. Get ball out wide, swing over quality ball, get Rhodes on it, and bang goal.

It's bizarre how people are picking the lad to bits and comparing him to a whole host of different players. He's been a cracking signing, without his excellent goals to shots ratio we'd be towards the foot of the table. The lad works his socks off every game and can hold the ball up and link up play - but only when the sluggish full-backs and midfield get up to support him. He has created chances himself and hasn't been provided with good service for the majority of games. Rochina and Kazim-Richards have only just started to attempt to link up with him and are beginning to show an interest in a 'team' game. His main issue is when the likes of Dann simply lump it towards him - but genuinely what is he expected to do? Suddenly morph into Roque Santa Cruz and hold the ball up, keep shrugging off a six foot four centre back for five seconds and then slide the ball out wide to an imaginary marauding full-back? He is what he is and is pure and simply a class finisher and poacher...we knew what we were buying into didn't we?

It just seems like some people on here think he should be like for like in terms of atributes with Van Persie, Defoe and a load of other, much more talented players...it's absolutely mental on this site these days, especially from those that don't even go to the games.

I think the issue is the amount we paid for him. Although your point about comparing him to Best is completely valid and in that respect, the very existence of this thread is questionable! I have to say though, as already stated I do agree with Jim's assessment of Rhodes. As someone who played in the same position as him (albeit at a lower level) and as someone who travels 400 miles to watch him in games, he does have an awful lot to learn. What is on his side is that he does seem willing to do so, and I'm sure that if he adds into his game the ability to hold up play and bring others into the game more consistently, he will be a premier league player. I would be surprised if he gets signed by one of the big boys though.

Let's see, a guy who has a goal ratio better than 1 in 2 or a forward who hasn't kicked a ball for us but career wise has a goal ratio of 1 in 4?

I think the real question should be how can we best utilise Rhodes and Best in the same team so that we can hold the ball up but give Rhodes the chances to score goals?

Rhodes is a clinical finisher but he lacks the technical ability or the link up to play in the hole off Best. He has that knack of goal scoring that very few do but there is alot to work on.

I think in the second half of the season, our strikeforce should be either Rhodes with Rochina off or Rhodes and Best. Gomes is an excellent alternative and impact player.

I would then let Nunes, Vukcevic, King, Formica and maybe Kazim and Pedersen fight for the wide berths.

Utter tripe, by the way how can anyone argue the toss between Rhodes and Best when Best hasn't even kicked a ball for us in earnest, without Rhodes goals we would be a LOT worse off.

Rhodes has done very well to score the amount of goals he has with the chances created. Ideally he's played with a partner but if we stick with one up front is he the best choice for the team?

Playing devil's advocate... Would the rest of the team have contributed more goals if we had a physical player to lead the line -making up for the finishing of a striker such as Best? Would we have conceded so many late goals if we could have held the ball up better? Have we had dominant spells of attacking play?

The thread wasn't set up as a dig at Rhodes, simply for opinions as to whether he works in the current system. As some other posters have mentioned though, his all round game needs to develop if he wants to step up another level.

An interesting comparison is Di Santo. The lad couldn't hit a barn door but his work rate, technical ability and aerial prowess made him a constant nuisance and great outlet. He's added a few goals to his game this season at Wigan. Not advocating him over Rhodes, just saying that he's developed that side of his game, hopefully Rgodes can do likewise, as he seems a likeable lad.

Rhodes is actually quite big - but doesn't impose this in anyway. His lack of out right pace goes against him when playing against the better defenders.

However - his movement off the ball (to find space in the penalty area) is brilliant - as is his finishing.

For me it is all about the service - not just to score goals - but how we move from back to front. It has been obvious that he wins little in the air when challenging for long balls - and struggles with long balls played behind the defence (unless the defence is slow) - but balls direct to his feet, he does lay off reasonably well.

IMO he needs to look at Kevin Davies - who reinvented himself - if he can add the hold up play of Davies (and general awkwardness) to his already impressive work rate - he will do ok at all levels. Add to this the finishing ability - which is at least Premiership class - he will be a very useful player.

Said more or less the same thing a couple of months ago. He needs to go and study players like Davies and watch how they can make life uncomfortable for defenders even on balls they arent likely to win.

Playing devil's advocate... Would the rest of the team have contributed more goals if we had a physical player to lead the line -making up for the finishing of a striker such as Best? Would we have conceded so many late goals if we could have held the ball up better? Have we had dominant spells of attacking play?

I don't think so. The quality in midfield isn't good and I don't think they have the ability to step up and fill that void should Rhodes be out of the team. Even if there was a pure target man up front to try and assist them I don't think that would change.

I think it's clear to see that you don't have to spend huge money to get a goalscorer in this league. Murray from Palace, Woods from Leicester, Austin down the road. It's only us who's spent a lot on someone to put the ball in the net.

• Backroom

Rhodes is a fantastic finisher and has a real goalscorers instinct but he shouldn't be immune from criticism as he sometimes seems to be.

He could do with bulking up a bit I think as he won't ever be lightning fast but he can be stronger, Yakubu played the lone striker role to near perfection last season and a lot of that was having the strength to hold the ball up and bring those around him into play

I'd love to think best and Rhodes can play together and develop a partnership (if Best comes good when fit) as I don't think that 4-5-1 or false 9 or whatever is always the answer, if you have the players for it then 4-4-2 is still just fine.

Overall I'm certainly glad Jordan is playing for us but I do think we overpaid by a few million

• 2 weeks later...
  • Backroom
By my calculations, take away Rhodes' goals this season and we'd be in the relegation zone (or just above) on 26pts.

Well that's on the assumption that whoever replaced him scored 0 goals, that's kind of like counting the amount of saves our keepers have made and then counting them as goals :P

Where we would have been had we used the money on a less effective forward but much stronger midfield is anyone's guess

Andy, I was under the impression it was a guaranteed £8m but in instalments. Be very happy if that's not the case.

Been a cracking twitter debate about it tonight between Me Tom Kamy Glen and a couple of others. I didn't agree that Rhodes was a snip at £8m as I still feel we paid over the odds looking at the other top scorers in the league. Glen was of the view that his value had increased considerably. Been a decent debate on the matter.

Apart from the ludicrous signing of Conor Wickham I can't remember any Premiership side spending decent money on a 'proven' lower league striker.

As a finisher, Rhodes is very good, but there's nothing in his game that would worry Premiership defences. He's not got the pace to stretch them, the strength to bully them or the movement to tire them.

I'm glad we've got him, his goals have been invaluable but he's not going for a profit IMO. That's if there is the requisite interest in him.

I'll look forward to seeing him and Best playing together. Rhodes is a goal scorer pure and simple. Best will battle, take the knocks, hold the ball up and make space and chances for Rhodes - all being well. The fact that Rhodes has scored so many goals when he isn't very fast or strong shows what a lethal finisher he is, even when we aren't getting the most out of him.

Archived