BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rhodes or Best?

I don't usually like to use examples of other transfers when discussing them but considering Rodriguez went for 7 and Wickham went for 12 was it? I don't think it's beyond the realms of probability......possibility?..... Possibility.

Murray, Austin and Wood would cost about the same anyway and clubs might not want to go down the foreign route after Christian Benitez, Boselli, Zigic etc.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Norbert

Who gives a flying f__k about his pace or whatever if he keeps banging them in? I don't care if striker X has silky skills, lightening pace if he cannot shoot or score. All that is relevant is how effective he is, and how many they score. And that is partially why I will always say that Shearer was a better forward than Henry. Shearer may not have been as pretty, but he scored more goals.

Who gives a flying f__k about his pace or whatever if he keeps banging them in? I don't care if striker X has silky skills, lightening pace if he cannot shoot or score. All that is relevant is how effective he is, and how many they score. And that is partially why I will always say that Shearer was a better forward than Henry. Shearer may not have been as pretty, but he scored more goals.

I'm sure Darren Bent and Peter Crouch are feeling you, bro.

Guest Norbert

If they are I am not noticing it. Perhaps they have very long arms, but small hands.

Anyway, they're nowhere near Shearer or Henry, as they can't single handedly take a defence apart like those two could. Rhodes, at this level at least, can put away chances and do enough to get the goals, which is what is needed. I'd prefer that to some hard working yet clueless carthorse like Heskey, or some pillock who shows a little bit of skill and then passes to the opposition or screws up a shot like Welbeck. Goals win games, and if Rhodes gets them, he is therefore doing his job. Even if it deflects off his bellend from 1 yard out.

I've not read a single post in this thread.

To any scouts reading, or cubs, Best is by far the better striker.

Rhodes is a one paced joyrneyman who will one day find his level at the foot of Division 2. In all my years of supporting Blackburn Rovers, I can't think of another striker who has been as lucky as Rhodes to have profited from such sublime service from each wing and through our mercurial midfield, he has been one lucky son of a gun.

In short, the mans a horrid objectionable swine. My advice to other clubs is to avoid him at all costs. The boy Austin down the road is twice the player, obviously.

I've not read a single post in this thread.

To any scouts reading, or cubs, Best is by far the better striker.

Rhodes is a one paced joyrneyman who will one day find his level at the foot of Division 2. In all my years of supporting Blackburn Rovers, I can't think of another striker who has been as lucky as Rhodes to have profited from such sublime service from each wing and through our mercurial midfield, he has been one lucky son of a gun.

In short, the mans a horrid objectionable swine. My advice to other clubs is to avoid him at all costs. The boy Austin down the road is twice the player, obviously.

Nudge nudge wink wink.

Why did no Premier League club buy Rhodes before we forked out the ludicrous sum of £8m ? Rhodes can put the ball in the net but that's not enough at the top level. I might be wrong on this but unless he improves his all-round game I doubt if he will ever play in the Premier League.

Quoted for lolz.

I don't think I've ever seen a striker like Rhodes.

If you'd asked me - or plenty of others, what does a striker need to have in his pocket to be successful, the answer would along the lines of pace, strength, excellent technique, shooting power or heading ability. Yet Rhodes has none of these and has scored 100 goals at the age of 22. I wouldn't have believed that was possible.

The player nearest to the way he scores his goals - not his playing style - was Andy McEvoy. Quick in the box and mostly sidefooted his goals. We still don't know whether he'll perform in the PL, but he will get his chance. I'm certainly warming to him. I don't feel as though he's ever going to miss.

Ricky Lambert and Danny Graham are two strikers who have made the step up to prem. I can see why people wonder if Rhodes will as Den has stated previously he doesn't seem to have all of the attributes you'd expect of a top top striker, but he has the one attribute that outweighs all the rest. He scores goals!

Had a good discussion on twitter with Glen Mullen about it. My view was that we'd always struggle to make a big profit on him as we paid over the odds, glens view was that his value had doubled since we signed him.

Rhodes is more like Simon Garner than Andy McEvoy - a good penalty box operator but not much use outside the box. Garner scored goals season after season for Rovers yet no top club took a gamble on him. Rhodes may get his chance in the top flight because of the paucity of talent around compared to when Garner was playing but I cannot think of many penalty box operators in the PL and of the few that are playing in the top flight most have pace, which Rhodes lacks. He might be getting better though - he needed upper body strength to hold off the defender for the second goal yesterday which he hasn't shown in the past. Perhaps training ground practice is paying off.

I might be wrong but hopes of us doubling our money on him are fanciful in my opinion. Premier League clubs only pay top dollar for outstanding English talent (eg Zaha) and shop abroad for cheaper players. And Rhodes isn't outstanding.

The guy has talents you simply can't teach, he was born with them. The instinct to get into the right position at the right time and natural technique when it comes to finishing. As long as it doesn't detract from his existing talents he can still work on some areas of his game and improve them, he is only 22.

Will he go in a season or two time? Probably, but if he left Rovers in a better position than they were in when he came and goes for a decent profit then I won't begrudge him a move. As always It's up to Rovers to then use the money wisely to get a replacement.

I'm not thinking about sell on value, because I don't want us to sell. I hope no-one comes in for him and he stays here hitting the back of the net. The fact that we spent £8 mill, or whatever, on him leans that it is unlikely we will have to sell as presumably we would be holding for more than we paid? (Caveat - Never know with the present regime, though...)

If you'd asked me - or plenty of others, what does a striker need to have in his pocket to be successful, the answer would along the lines of pace, strength, excellent technique, shooting power or heading ability. Yet Rhodes has none of these

Hahaha.

Must be divine intervention providing all these goals.

I'm not thinking about sell on value, because I don't want us to sell. I hope no-one comes in for him and he stays here hitting the back of the net.

We're a selling club unfortunately, and all players have their price.

I'm not thinking about sell on value, because I don't want us to sell. I hope no-one comes in for him and he stays here hitting the back of the net. The fact that we spent £8 mill, or whatever, on him leans that it is unlikely we will have to sell as presumably we would be holding for more than we paid? (Caveat - Never know with the present regime, though...)

Fans don't want to think about it but it's inevitable. Football has changed so much, you don't see players staying at clubs for years and years these days due to the financial benefits of moving and also the desire to achieve as much as possible in the game. Modern footballers are far more ambitious, they want to play at the highest level of the game they can.

Archived