BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Agent Q&A: Post Your Questions

Eddie

I'll be doing a Q&A for the site with an agent and as part of the process I just wanted to see if anyone had any good suggestions for questions or particular things that they would like to know about. He's an American agent who represents only a handful of players in Europe, but can still provide useful insight into the role an agent can play in transfers and negotiations and provide some information about what exactly he might do for the players that he represents.

If you have any questions just post them below and I will pick a handful and send them to him. There should be a follow-up podcast in which he also appears.

I have no problems with agents representing sports people as most wouldn't be educationally capable of representing themselves.

Where I do have a problem is the lack of transparency in their deals.

Eddie,

where does your agent sit on the idea of disclosing the details of the deals done, commissions received etc?

Should the commissions be regulated (i.e. set fee or set %age)?

Should the agents disclose any interests that could be considered 'insider trading"?

Should the agents disclose any "tapping up"?

Given that a clubs manager may have the same agent as a referee, should referees have agents?

It could be interesting in a crucial game!! Also, do you think each player should have to disclose his agent to the supporters when signing for a club, would be interesting regarding Rovers and the Portuguese contingent!!

I'd ask what is the point of agents. Certainly if I was a footballer I'd represent myself although the fa has these ludicrous tapping up rules that are so easily circumvented may as well not have them.

Agents are not usually lawyers drawing up the contracts so they must just be middle men.

This is how I imagine it works:

Club 1: mr agent is your player interested in signing for us.

Agent: player are you interested in signing for club 1

Player: yes

Agent: club 1 my player wants to play for you

Club 1: club 2 I'm making a bid for player 1.

Agent: my fee is several million.

This is how should work:

Club 1: player do you want to sign for us

Player: yes discuss it with my club to see if they want to make a deal.

Club 1: club2 can we buy player 1

The end and no need for agents.

So on the basis footballers train only a few hours a day and have time to burn a genuine question would be how does any agent justify a wage? Maybe I've misunderstood what they do in which case question what do agents actually do and are they really needed?

I think some agents act as gloryfied babysitters for particularly 'special' players; organising things such as bills being paid, where to turn up to/when, things like that.

More of a personal assistant that an agent.

That said, completely agree on the transfer part.

Surely it should be club > club to discuss availability, then buying club > player to discuss terms.

Simple.

• Backroom

Are agents purely an aid to a players finances, business moves, transfers etc? Or do they also help in matters that Player Liaison Staff do (such as finding accommodation, transport etc)?

Does the agent think it's a conflict of interest that certain agencies arrange contracts on behalf of the football authorities who are supposed to regulate football agents /agencies. For instance if an agency decided it wanted to part own a football club but couldn't legally but did it via a 3rd party would that football authority who had / has contracts negotiated by that agency be reluctant to investigate for fear of a loss of income.

Does the agent think it's a conflict of interest that certain agencies arrange contracts on behalf of the football authorities who are supposed to regulate football agents /agencies. For instance if an agency decided it wanted to part own a football club but couldn't legally but did it via a 3rd party would that football authority who had / has contracts negotiated by that agency be reluctant to investigate for fear of a loss of income.

;)

Some good questions here (obviously some are less likely to be used...). If anyone with a question that they would like asked could put it up in the next few hours that would be great. I'll probably send him the list later this evening so that the article can go up by the end of this week.

Do you ever consider the whole picture when negotiating a player's contract details, or is it simply, as seems to be the case, making sure you get as much money as possible for your clients and yourself? I'm thinking of other stakeholders such as the clubs themselves which might face bankruptcy, the game as a whole which is being crippled by outrageous salary payments and last but by no mean least the fans who have to pay more and more of their hard earned money to watch players with hyper-inflated earnings.

Why in football does the club pay agent's fees (whether selling or buying) rather than the player? as far as I know, in any transaction, both clubs end up paying agents, the player pays nothing.

If I pay an estate agent to sell my house, I wouldnt expect the buyer to pay that fee.

Why in football does the club pay agent's fees (whether selling or buying) rather than the player? as far as I know, in any transaction, both clubs end up paying agents, the player pays nothing.

If I pay an estate agent to sell my house, I wouldnt expect the buyer to pay that fee.

The player pays the agent for his work, I think its a percentage of the players salary!

The player pays the agent for his work, I think its a percentage of the players salary!

I think that's just an ongoing retainer for his representation, there is almost always a lump sum due to the agent for a percentage of any transfer fee, and Ive heard club chairmen (Simon Jordan in particular) bemoan the fact that in selling or buying a player they have to pay the agent directly, often also a sweetener for signing-on to the player, and in many cases a loyalty bonus to a departing player.

Maybe the Agent might comment on whether it looked "unusual" that in the year Rovers were relegated, their outlay on agents fees as I remember it reported on this board, was 6th or so in the ranking of premier league clubs, whereas the total value of the reported tranfer fees themselves were nowhere near that ranking. (nor was the revenue of the club)

Ultimately the fault of the clubs for agreeing to it I know, but in the case of fees to agents, its' all money out of the game. Could the agent maybe restore our faith and diminish our prejudice by giving some example of how they put money back into the sport? for example do they support grass-roots football, do they represent retired players pro-bono, - (or are they really just parasites). Could the agent see a situation where player representation during a transfer might actually be done through the PFA so that any percentage of the transfer fee might support a fund for player coaching or injured players?

If the player had to pay the agents fee he'd (or his agent!) would simply ask for a larger signing on fee.

If a club wants the player they will pay it because if they don't one of their competitors will.

If clubs want the power back from agents and players they need to be stronger about what they will and won't pay for players. But it needs all clubs to do the same. Just think if EVERY club said we'll pay you x amount but none of your agents fees.

Dream on Stuart!

Archived