BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Car Insurance Company...who can i complain to?

I re-newed my car insurance on 15th Nov with same company i had used the previous year (echoice....an on-line company attached to Royal Sun Alliance)

My insurance didn`t run out until the 17th Nov. I paid by credit card two days before my existing cover ran out.

On christmas eve echoice sent me a cheque for the original amount without so much as a cover letter explaining what it was for.

I logged on to echoice website to check my policy. All looked normal until i looked at the bottom of the page. It said 'POLICY CANCELLED'

I don`t know how long i had been driving around uninsured....a day? a week? a month? who knows :huh:

Anyway, echoice had closed for christmas, so i couldn`t speak to anybody about it.

On 27th Dec i changed insurance companies & insured my car with AXA Insurance.

I had accrued six years 'no claims' with the last couple of companies i had gone with. AXA emailed me requesting my 'proof of no claims'.

I got in touch with echoice to ask them 'why' they had cancelled my policy without notifying me & to request my proof of no-claims.

It turns out when i re-newed my echoice policy, they took payment on time but THEIR finance department hadn`t done their bit in time & by the time they`d done it my policy had expired. TOTALLY THEIR FAULT & THEY ADMITTED THIS & APOLOGISED. They offered to re-set up my policy. I declined their offer, explaining i had gone with AXA & needed my 'proof of no claims'. They said it would be despatched immediately.

Nearly a month later (& several emails from AXA) & i`ve still not received my 'proof of no-claim' from echoice. I have spoken to & emailed them constantly requesting it........it`s always the same answer "It`s in the post"

Now i have a letter from AXA saying "if they do not receive my 'proof of no-claims' by the 25th January, my policy with them will be cancelled.

It is now the 24th Jan & still nothing from echoice :(

............................................................................................

Can anybody advise me if there is some authority i can complain to?

I feel the service i`ve had from echoice has been shocking & may result in my current insurance policy being cancelled because of their ineptitude.

I`m as mad as a goose on stilts!!! :angry2:

Have you thrown away all of the renewal paperwork? If not your NCB is on the policy schedule.

Failing that, explain to AXA the situation and request them to contact your old company directly.

echoice 'don`t do paperwork' :blink: it`s all done on-line & via email. I have nothing relating to my 'proof of no claims' in my correspondence with them.

I have just sent a strongly worded email to them (copying AXA into it) asking nay DEMANDING they forward it on to AXA today or legal action may be taken..

You really need to get AXA to do some leg work and can't afford to let them cancel your policy because it will affect future prices and acceptance from certain companies. Good luck getting it sorted - it sounds like you've not had any so far.

• Backroom
You really need to get AXA to do some leg work and can't afford to let them cancel your policy because it will affect future prices and acceptance from certain companies. Good luck getting it sorted - it sounds like you've not had any so far.

It's not AXA's job to do this. The burden is on the customer to provide proof of no claims, and it will be clearly stated in AXA's terms and conditions that not providing proof of no claims will either invalidate or alter the policy. I appreciate it is not Cletus' fault but there is nothing AXA can do or are obliged to do in this situation, it's up to the customer and the previous company.

Cletus, I would suggest giving AXA a call to talk this through with them. I know you've copied them into an e-mail but direct communication is very important in cases like this. They may allow you an extension if you explain the situation to them over the phone - the reps you talk to on the phone will be different to the people who deal with your e-mails.

Good luck. Car insurance is a nightmare.

I re-newed my car insurance on 15th Nov with same company i had used the previous year (echoice....an on-line company attached to Royal Sun Alliance)

My insurance didn`t run out until the 17th Nov. I paid by credit card two days before my existing cover ran out.

On christmas eve echoice sent me a cheque for the original amount without so much as a cover letter explaining what it was for.

I logged on to echoice website to check my policy. All looked normal until i looked at the bottom of the page. It said 'POLICY CANCELLED'

I don`t know how long i had been driving around uninsured....a day? a week? a month? who knows :huh:

Anyway, echoice had closed for christmas, so i couldn`t speak to anybody about it.

On 27th Dec i changed insurance companies & insured my car with AXA Insurance.

I had accrued six years 'no claims' with the last couple of companies i had gone with. AXA emailed me requesting my 'proof of no claims'.

I got in touch with echoice to ask them 'why' they had cancelled my policy without notifying me & to request my proof of no-claims.

It turns out when i re-newed my echoice policy, they took payment on time but THEIR finance department hadn`t done their bit in time & by the time they`d done it my policy had expired. TOTALLY THEIR FAULT & THEY ADMITTED THIS & APOLOGISED. They offered to re-set up my policy. I declined their offer, explaining i had gone with AXA & needed my 'proof of no claims'. They said it would be despatched immediately.

Nearly a month later (& several emails from AXA) & i`ve still not received my 'proof of no-claim' from echoice. I have spoken to & emailed them constantly requesting it........it`s always the same answer "It`s in the post"

Now i have a letter from AXA saying "if they do not receive my 'proof of no-claims' by the 25th January, my policy with them will be cancelled.

It is now the 24th Jan & still nothing from echoice :(

............................................................................................

Can anybody advise me if there is some authority i can complain to?

I feel the service i`ve had from echoice has been shocking & may result in my current insurance policy being cancelled because of their ineptitude.

I`m as mad as a goose on stilts!!! :angry2:

calm down dear..... calm down.

tbh I insured er indoors car last year. She does few miles and hardly uses is other than to go to work and back about (3 miles). I went on one of those go compare / meerkatty type web sites and selected the cheapest almost as an experiment. It was an online only company and tbh I'll not do so again. I don't like it and for the sake of a few bob online only's can swivel. There needs to be someone on the other end of the phone or better still over the counter. Same with a lot of online purchases too. Just think what could have gone wrong if you'd had a claim to make..... or worse still had one made against you.

Best advice I can offer is try Fogarty's at Cherry Tree or similar and see if they can match or come close the online stuff. Much better all round. Good service is very underestimated and undervalued until you come up against bad service.

It's not AXA's job to do this. The burden is on the customer to provide proof of no claims, and it will be clearly stated in AXA's terms and conditions that not providing proof of no claims will either invalidate or alter the policy. I appreciate it is not Cletus' fault but there is nothing AXA can do or are obliged to do in this situation, it's up to the customer and the previous company.

Cletus, I would suggest giving AXA a call to talk this through with them. I know you've copied them into an e-mail but direct communication is very important in cases like this. They may allow you an extension if you explain the situation to them over the phone - the reps you talk to on the phone will be different to the people who deal with your e-mails.

Good luck. Car insurance is a nightmare.

Direct Line helped me a lot in this regard, I sent them my Statement of Fact from Tesco, but they instead wanted the full renewal notice. Instead of me posting them all back in, they just rang Tesco and verified all my ncb over the phone.

Many thanks for the advice ;)

The email i sent to both parties has born fruit. AXA promptly replied my email & asked me for my echoice details. They said they`d try & contact them as a 'good will gesture'.

Two hours later i received another email from AXA saying they had managed to get my 'proof of no claims'. They are happy & say this requires no further action from me.

....i`ve still not heard a peep from echoice :blink:

Upon browsing the echoice website, i found an email address for any complaints - complaint.info@financial-ombudsman.org.uk

I`ve put every detail down in writing & told them i wish to complain about the shocking service i have received.

• Backroom

They're technically not allowed to do this but I guess in this instance they've decided your business is more important. Glad you got it sorted out!

FWIW Cletus, they will have phoned echoice on a direct number of some kind and gotten 'verbal proof' of no claims bonus. They still normally ask you to provide written proof at some point in the future, I would just clarify with AXA that they're definitely happy with everything. It's possible echoice sent AXA the written proof either via email or fax, even though they aren't allowed to do so without your specific permission.

I suppose since you just wanted to get everything sorted it isn't a huge deal, though!

Good result Cletus. Insurance companies can talk to each other. I was going to suggest that but obviously carried on reading the thread.

I once took car insurance with AA some years ago. After accepting my money I was contacted to say that I had made a claim. (I'd answered "no" to the "any accidents/claims in the last 5 years".

It turns out that a windscreen chip repair counted as an insurance claim - even though it didn't go through as a claim by me (it was all handled by Autoglass - it was a spur of the moment thing when one of their mobile units was at Tesco once).

They wanted to increase my premium by 20%. I cancelled and went elsewhere. Before signing up I checked with one of their advisors about what they add for previous windscreen repairs. They said no charge.

I've never used AA since and don't intend to.

The email i sent to both parties has born fruit. AXA promptly replied my email & asked me for my echoice details. They said they`d try & contact them as a 'good will gesture'.

Two hours later i received another email from AXA saying they had managed to get my 'proof of no claims'. They are happy & say this requires no further action from me.

Upon browsing the echoice website, i found an email address for any complaints - complaint.info@financial-ombudsman.org.uk

I`ve put every detail down in writing & told them i wish to complain about the shocking service i have received.

You can always console yourself with the thought that the financial services ombudsman will charge echoice £500 just to deal with your complaint. Same with complaints you make against banks, and if you let them know you're planning a complaint in advance they'll usually bend over backwards to help you instead.

Also, if the financial services ombudsman does chase your complaint they might decide echoice owe you a small sum as compensation for the distress they've cause you. Happens often enough with banks, anyway.

it was all handled by Autoglass

Just had a windscreen fitted by Autoglass - they put the wrong one in!!! Getting another next week

Agree never go near the AA, utter rogues

Good result Cletus. Insurance companies can talk to each other. I was going to suggest that but obviously carried on reading the thread.

I once took car insurance with AA some years ago. After accepting my money I was contacted to say that I had made a claim. (I'd answered "no" to the "any accidents/claims in the last 5 years".

It turns out that a windscreen chip repair counted as an insurance claim - even though it didn't go through as a claim by me (it was all handled by Autoglass - it was a spur of the moment thing when one of their mobile units was at Tesco once).

They wanted to increase my premium by 20%. I cancelled and went elsewhere. Before signing up I checked with one of their advisors about what they add for previous windscreen repairs. They said no charge.

Similar experience with AA. Will not be renewing with them again.

It`s not like it`s just a few quid we have to pay these companies. It is hundreds of pounds EVERY year.

People HAVE to insure their vehicles by law....yet these companies often deliver shocking service.

They should be clamped down on hard.

Companies who fail to deliver good standard service should have their licence to trade removed.

• Backroom
It`s not like it`s just a few quid we have to pay these companies. It is hundreds of pounds EVERY year.

People HAVE to insure their vehicles by law....yet these companies often deliver shocking service.

They should be clamped down on hard.

Companies who fail to deliver good standard service should have their licence to trade removed.

*applause*

Common sense :D

Glad you got it sorted, I thought they'd contact the company directly. I'm not sure what the other member on here is on about by saying they aren't meant to or are allowed - they are, I used to work in insurance for a number of years and that's what we'd end up doing. Regardless it's sorted now - another tip for next year, although it sounds barmy it is usually cheaper to insure your car on the road rather than a garage or drive and if you haven't already, get a woman on the policy as a second driver...and research the company you are going to pay a small fortune to!

I always used to be with the AA for everything until I one day broke down on the newly bult (couple of months) A30. At that time I did not own a mobile but someone stopped who saw my engine explode in plume of smoke and stopped so I used theirs. Obviously all info was passed over location, car etc etc. Anyway long story short after flagging down two more cars and about 12 keaning hours later they evetually turned up as the morons had been looking on the old A30. Never been with them again and never will, the RAC now serve me proud.

Glad you got things sorted Cletus and I've had similiar issues before and resolved the same way. Just be glad you don't live in Liverpool as last year mine cost me £2,500 and the cars probably worth 10K. Money for feck all in the main and a disgrace they can charge that sort of money.

• 2 weeks later...

My gripe is these claim chaser companies - they are doing my head in.

Two and a half years ago I was parked up in Supermarket car park waiting for the Mrs when a woman reversed into my new car.

She was about to drive off but I collared her and after seeing that the bumper and rear light of my car was damaged I made an insurance claim.

My insurance company were brilliant delt with everything, didnt lose my no claims or have to pay excess (tip if your involved in any accident take photos at the scene)

Anyway two and a half years on I'm still getting 2 to 3 calls a week by different injury lawyerstype firms wanting to deal with my claim - Im sick of saying that I wasnt injured didnt cause me any stress etc etc

I t would seem that the woman who reversed into my car claimed and got injury compensation !!

18 months ago a guy drove into my car while it was parked outside the house. Fortunately it was witnessed by someone who took the registration number and told me. We claimed Znd that was that.

There was no one in my car bug like Alan I'm getting loads of calls from ambulance chasers. Yesterday's was from the Traffic Incident Bureau - for 20 seconds I thought it was the police but soon realised it wasn't.

• 1 month later...

A small update on my echoice nightmare.....

After complaining officially, i have just received an email saying they accept responsibility & that the service they provided was below standard.

As a mark of apology, they`re sending me a cheque for £35 'compensation'.

Better than a kick in the @#/?.

:tu:

Archived