BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Luke Dowling

Baz

According to SSN - "Luke Dowling is set to be appointed Blackburn's director of football on Friday"

Formerly head of player recruitment at Portsmouth.

Anybody know anything else about him?

Something of a meteoric rise (can't work out if that's a good thing) in football. Was scouting at AFC Wimbledon less than four years ago. Massive jump to make, but has been a scout at Palace, so that would bode well.

DoF seems a big responsibility for someone that - within the field of scouting - is something of a novice. That said, he's obviously impressed someone and we need a creative approach to recruitment. Big wage bill, lack of willing buyers for the players we need to ship out. A fresh, modern perspective might be what's needed and if people (you'd think this is an Appleton appointment) believe this guy has got what it takes, then let's see!

Always worried about the title of DoF, though. What does it truly entail? Split responsibilities can lead to poor communication and fractured decision-making processes. Maybe I'm still sore about Kenny moving "upstairs," who knows?

Apparently he said that he went to Portsmouth on the basis that Appleton wanted to follow the West Brom model of recruitment. Wasn't possible though cos Pompey don't have a pot to p1ss in. He will feel right at home then.

No, but I just read the story in my local chinese in the Daily Mirror. The article was by Nixon. I was surprised that I hadn't seen it discussed in here because it's a significant development. Nixon stressed how it pushed Shebby out of the picture and that it was (I think) Appleton who made the appointment. I take what the man says with a pinch of salt but how the kean can a manager who's been here for two games be choosing a 'director of football'. Hopefully it really means 'Chief Scout' which makes a lot more sense.

But this is Venkys, so why would I expect anything to make sense?

"Former Portsmouth head of recruitment Luke Dowling is expected to be confirmed in a similar position at Rovers today"

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/blackburn_rovers/news/10184739.Rovers_boss_ready_to_shake_up_side_ahead_of_transfer_deadline_day/?ref=twt

Otherwise know as Chief Scout

Isn't Ray Clarke Chief Scout? Luke Dowling sounds more like what Shebby does without the potential to sign Portuguese players, not overpay 2 million on Jordan Rhodes or give Etuhu a 4 year contract. Good news to me and the interview in the Lancashire Telegraph was what I and others have said all season(probably last season too) about the squad being unbalanced.

We haven't used the loan market very well either which is another aspect Appleton touched on that you can have a smaller squad which is then supplemented by loans if you get injuries. Using the loan market is what Mick McCarthy does very well and explains his historical success in this league.

Reading that link from the LT is very reassuring. Appleton has taken just a couple of weeks to understand what's needed. It's been so obvious for most of us, for a long time now, but every credit to him, he's taking control, making sure the right people at the club are making the right decisions and getting down to it.

He needs backing from everyone now. Long term he might, or might not be the right man, but from what I see now, he's the right man at this moment in time.

from what I see now, he's the right man at this moment in time.

Apart from the whole 'breaking a decent winning streak' thing and making a bizarre substitution that swiftly turned a potential victory into a draw.

Got to say that is a very impressive interview. I hope our owners are listening carefully to this man. As Den said, he may not be the right man, but he knows how to run a football club by the sounds of it. To think we have crippled ourselves with such shoddy mismanagement for so long is heartbreaking. I hope he is given time to put his plans in to place because i would wager that simply modifying and re-shaping this squad would bring about a significant amount of points on its own. That is before you even take into consideration tactical decisions on match days and managing each player on an individual basis.

Quite simply that is the most sensible thing i have heard come out of Rovers in 3 years. The second most sensible thing was when Eric Black said we need a big center forward to compliment Rhodes. Amazing to think the 2 most logical statements to come from the club are from a 37yr old relative novice who's been employed for two weeks and an interim manager.

shabbys removal will be announced soon ...... back to globaling at a guess

I bloody hope so.

Are we on the verge of having a proper structure here? A management with Championship experience, an experienced man in charge of recruitment, Shaw in the MD position (ability aside, at least he's experienced at this level).

Beats the Kean / Shebby combo that we had at the start of the year. I know Shaw was already here but seemed marginalised by Shebby's presence.

We've had a few false dawns throughout Venky's reign so I'm not getting too excited, but if Appleton can make the changes to recruitment (i.e. get rid of the dross Kean signed and get some decent Championship players in) then we may well be on the right track for next season.

I bloody hope so.

Are we on the verge of having a proper structure here? A management with Championship experience, an experienced man in charge of recruitment, Shaw in the MD position (ability aside, at least he's experienced at this level).

Beats the Kean / Shebby combo that we had at the start of the year. I know Shaw was already here but seemed marginalised by Shebby's presence.

We've had a few false dawns throughout Venky's reign so I'm not getting too excited, but if Appleton can make the changes to recruitment (i.e. get rid of the dross Kean signed and get some decent Championship players in) then we may well be on the right track for next season.

Appleton, Westwood, Dowling and Shaw.

Just shows how far we have fallen if that has the potential to get you excited. Ever.

Looks a bit more "normal" on the face of it but excited is a bit of a stretch.

Amazing what some good PR can do though.

Our best spells as a football club have come when we have had managers of a high calibre who have been there and done it, and can excite the fans and inspire the players.

Oh and Shaw isn't fit to shine John Williams' shoes.

#everythingtoprove

It's a question of is this better than we had 6 months ago and the answer to that has to be yes. We all know that we are so far adrift of where we were 2-3 years ago it's not true, but what people are getting excited about isn't the set up and personnel we have but the fact that for the first time in ages what we have resembles normality. It may be that we have fallen a long way but if we are at least beginning to see a slight upturn what's not to get a tiny bit excited about? Not carried away, not thinking we've cracked it, but just a tiny bit more enthusiastic.

I bloody hope so.

Structure ... Aye the one that took nobbers to L1.
Appleton, Westwood, Dowling and Shaw.

Just shows how far we have fallen if that has the potential to get you excited. Ever.

Looks a bit more "normal" on the face of it but excited is a bit of a stretch.

Amazing what some good PR can do though.

Our best spells as a football club have come when we have had managers of a high calibre who have been there and done it, and can excite the fans and inspire the players.

Oh and Shaw isn't fit to shine John Williams' shoes.

#everythingtoprove

Shaw isn't fit full stop . Fat slimy weedy nobber.

Got to say that is a very impressive interview. I hope our owners are listening carefully to this man. As Den said, he may not be the right man, but he knows how to run a football club by the sounds of it. To think we have crippled ourselves with such shoddy mismanagement for so long is heartbreaking. I hope he is given time to put his plans in to place because i would wager that simply modifying and re-shaping this squad would bring about a significant amount of points on its own. That is before you even take into consideration tactical decisions on match days and managing each player on an individual basis.

Quite simply that is the most sensible thing i have heard come out of Rovers in 3 years. The second most sensible thing was when Eric Black said we need a big center forward to compliment Rhodes. Amazing to think the 2 most logical statements to come from the club are from a 37yr old relative novice who's been employed for two weeks and an interim manager.

+ [at least] 1000

• Backroom
And you know this how, tardyrover?Just cos someone hasn't got a big name doesn't mean they can't be perfectly competent. And surely it's better than Singh buying players

Precisely. Megson is a bigger 'name' than Appleton is ffs haha.

Archived