BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] FA Cup 4th Round - Derby County v Blackburn Rovers

Stuart

Funny really.

People want Allardyce back because he knew what it took to get the best out of a squad and win football matches - and style was irrelevant.

Now we have Appleton, on about a quarter of Big Sam's salary and those same folks call it it hoofball.

Given the intelligence of those saying it, I can only assume that it's all part of a bait-and-switch set up where Big Sam's detractors are expected to make supportive comments and then *BAM* out from behind a rock comes an "I told you so, you fools!".

I'm just surprised noone's yet started calling him Big Mick or Appledyce. I suppose there's time. :rolleyes:

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As an aside, what is it about BBC & ITV with Rovers? Penultimate game on the highlights programme last night. Worth waiting for, though.

You sure about that figure? Others have said there were over 2000 there, and the photo appears to confirm that.

Credit to those who went. I'm surprised we took that many but fair play. I didn't go and I regret it now. Rovers fans were very vocal on radio lancs

That's the official figure given. Don't think there was over 2k there. Think that was the allocation figure but it wasn't full. Still a cracking following though.

Just watched the highlights show, not surprised by the pathetic amount of time alloted to our game when they featured much worse games, the joys of being a Championship club I suppose.

Dann's strike was the stand out moment from what little I saw of the game.

Just watched the highlights show, not surprised by the pathetic amount of time alloted to our game when they featured much worse games, the joys of being a Championship club I suppose.

Dann's strike was the stand out moment from what little I saw of the game.

Brilliant work from Murphy leading up to that goal.

Indeed so..... but tbf they didn't have much competition from the other end yesterday did they?

Not hoofball? :o Lowe nearly won the crossbarr challenge.... from behind his own 18 yard line! The assist travelled about 60 yards in the air........ Only difference being who the manager is I'd suggest.

Hoofball/longball? if it hits its target what is the difference, Beckham was a hoofball man? he hit 60 yard balls regularly, Gerrard does too and not forgetting the best left foot ever to play at Rovers, Waggy, 50 60 yard balls week in week out, no wonder Gordon taylor was chubby, he didnt have to run, the ball dropped at his feet every time !

Hoofball/longball? if it hits its target what is the difference, Beckham was a hoofball man? he hit 60 yard balls regularly, Gerrard does too and not forgetting the best left foot ever to play at Rovers, Waggy, 50 60 yard balls week in week out, no wonder Gordon taylor was chubby, he didnt have to run, the ball dropped at his feet every time !
The difference between hoofball and cross-field pass is aim and execution.

Like comparing a lumberjack with an archer.

Ha. Just realised who I'm telling! :D

The difference between hoofball and cross-field pass is aim and execution.

Like comparing a lumberjack with an archer.

Ha. Just realised who I'm telling! :D

As I commented Stuart, if it hits its target, be it a 20, 30 40 or 50 yard ball, its not hoofball, its a long ball, as with Beckham, Gerrard and Waggy, they could switch play perfectly to stretch defences, even with a long ball to a target man, if it hits the target, in my opinion, its not hoofball, maybe its open to debate but that is my opinion, problem at the moment with Rovers, we havent got the height or power of a target man for the Sam type hoofball in the box!

Someone rightly said, if you are holding on, late in the game, hit the corner flags with the ball and it relieves pressure, you can squeeze the opponents in there and the ball doesnt boomerang straight back to you, could that be construed as hoofball or good tactics? again, very much open to debate!

Best way to probably describe hoofball is when its the only route you play by by passing midfield and lumping it into the box!!

Three excellent finishes there, especially Dann. Where the heck did that come from??

It even made the away kit look cool.

(No, it really didn't).

Nothing on Earth could ever do that.........the present away kit is the absolute worst ever offered to long-suffering fans since the idea of clubs selling their replica kits was first invented. I still wear the 1994-95 home shirt, and that is the only one I will ever wear.

Hoofball as some call big sam's tactics is the lumping up to the opposition penalty box where the waiting targets look to get a head on the ball to give a colleague a chance at goal. Lowe, in my opinion, was just clearing danger, there was no rovers player within 10 yards of the drop point and CKR made a challenge after using his pace to close down a hesitant defender. Not hoofball.

Nothing on Earth could ever do that.........the present away kit is the absolute worst ever offered to long-suffering fans since the idea of clubs selling their replica kits was first invented. I still wear the 1994-95 home shirt, and that is the only one I will ever wear.

The blue away kit is better than the white away kit.

Archived