BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Vince retires

Mercer

I originally thought this thread was about Vince McMahon because I couldn't for the life of me think of someone connected with us called Vince.

Isn't there a rumour that Hughes left because he didn't get 4 million for Lassana Diarra so he left, we got Ince who wanted Grella for the same price.

Then Diarra went to Portsmouth who eventually sold him to Real Madrid for 20 million.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom
Certainly if you are assessing it purely on the money side. Been far worse players than Vince.

I'd question his morality. IMO he was paid under false pretenses.

4m transfer fee and around 3M in wages! :(

I think in terms of money, performance, impact... anything, the man who a total an utter flop. Even when he did play he was nothing special. At least Davies and Grabbi scored a few goals between them!

Cost the club £10 million overall through his wages and initial transfer fee. Not good business from Mr Ince Mr. Williams back in the day.

Not really, still definitely Ince's mistake. Grella had a few injury issues in Italy but had still played in the majority of first team games.

It would have been way outside of John Williams' remit to veto transfers unless they were completely ridiculous.

Not really, still definitely Ince's mistake. Grella had a few injury issues in Italy but had still played in the majority of first team games.

It would have been way outside of John Williams' remit to veto transfers unless they were completely ridiculous.

Even without hindsight, I still think four years was too much for a 29 year-old def mid, esp one who'd suffered niggling injuries the season before. Three years max. That extra year cost us £1.5m for the square root of jack ****.

I originally thought this thread was about Vince McMahon because I couldn't for the life of me think of someone connected with us called Vince.

Isn't there a rumour that Hughes left because he didn't get 4 million for Lassana Diarra so he left, we got Ince who wanted Grella for the same price.

Then Diarra went to Portsmouth who eventually sold him to Real Madrid for 20 million.

Yes, the Trust did us no favours there (or themselves come to think of it!)

What about our wonder, stand-in goalkeeper in the 1987 full members cup final, Vince O'Keefe? Our hero of the day.

Even without hindsight, I still think four years was too much for a 29 year-old def mid, esp one who'd suffered niggling injuries the season before. Three years max. That extra year cost us £1.5m for the square root of jack ****.

Plenty of defensive midfielders do well late into age, and the injuries he'd suffered weren't anything like he ended up suffering with us.

I don't think we can blame JW for not vetoing Ince's recommendation. Our last regime worked well because it let the football people make the footballing decisions.

Plenty of defensive midfielders do well late into age, and the injuries he'd suffered weren't anything like he ended up suffering with us.

I don't think we can blame JW for not vetoing Ince's recommendation. Our last regime worked well because it let the football people make the footballing decisions.

Still say it was too much. Torino only had him on a three year deal.

If JW had one failing, it was his generosity on contracts.

This is bizarre. If you are employed to do a job and you get injured doing said job, you'd expect the company to support you and pay you. If you then came back to work and got injured again, you'd expect your company to support you. You wouldn't expect to pay back all your wages or 'retire' because you can't do you job without being injured. The company might want to retire you on ill health grounds but you'd expect to get a payout. What's the difference? (Apart from the obscene amounts of money footballers earn...)

Everyone is always wise after the event. What's clear is that the world is completely black and white on here and peoples morals always depend on the football club being more important than individuals, especially footballers. Thank goodness life isn't like that and there are more balanced individuals in the world.

Yeah. We desperately needed a midfielder in that transfer window.

Hughes (allegedly) wanted Diarra but wasn't given the funds, in the end he had to settle for Vogel on a free transfer after the window had closed.

Don't blame him for wanting out after that.

Guh?

Once he got up to speed with the league and when he got a run of a few games at one point, he was one of our major players, albeit briefly. His passing was crisp and his breakup play was very useful (apart from when he was covering from an attacking corner, where his pace let him down). Had you seen him before he joined Rovers you'd have seen him doing that earlier in his career too. Then, when the injuries became unmanageable he was unable to find that form and his ability suffered alongside it given lack of match practice. Then it all became a bit of a farce.

Once he got up to speed with the league and when he got a run of a few games at one point, he was one of our major players, albeit briefly. His passing was crisp and his breakup play was very useful (apart from when he was covering from an attacking corner, where his pace let him down). Had you seen him before he joined Rovers you'd have seen him doing that earlier in his career too. Then, when the injuries became unmanageable he was unable to find that form and his ability suffered alongside it given lack of match practice. Then it all became a bit of a farce.

Buh?

• Backroom

Grella had no run of games in our side where anybody could deduce whether he would or could have been a good player for us. What he did in Italy is irrelevant.

In fact, didn't he get sent off in one of the few games he actually did attempt to play for us?

Grella had no run of games in our side where anybody could deduce whether he would or could have been a good player for us. What he did in Italy is irrelevant.

In fact, didn't he get sent off in one of the few games he actually did attempt to play for us?

The only things I can remember from him playing are that he was so slow that he had to foul everyone and his cross field passes going out of play.

Two thoughts: the first for members of this Board of my generation; the second recently asked by another former season-ticket holder with whom I used to share a pre-match drink.

1] Have we learned nothing from the Alan Gilliver transfer? *shakes head sadly* I.E. Did we not do our homework on his medical history?;

2] Are there more Scrabble points in Vince's name [Don't forget there's a "z" in his full forename!] ^_^ than the number of appearances he made for us???

Archived