BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Has BRAG served its purpose?

Stuart

Simple question. I strongly feel that they played a part in the demise of Steve Kean's reign of horror. Probably through a good amount of influence with Shebby Singh. For that I am grateful.

They provided a dossier to the FA - possibly indicating wrongdoing or maybe just insinuating wrongdoing. The FA, on the face of it, appear to have ignored the information, or are hastily ensuring that any of the implications are investigated and resolved in house. This is an assumption on my part of course, and is based on a lack of tangible action.

Is there anything else the Action Group can offer?

If Venkys sack Appleton after 10 games because of missed targets will the Venkys Out campaigns begin again? - at which point everyone will look to the Action Group to "do something". Who would fill that vacuum if they were no more?

Should all of the weight of the Action Group members go into working with the Rovers Trust to help develop a strategy for enabling partial ownership discussions to take place? Would they be welcomed?

They clearly (to me at least) have Rovers' best interests at heart and their strengths could be put to good use.

So, is there a role for the Action Group to play in 2013 and beyond? I'm shamelessly and possibly unfairly asking the Action Group to justify their existence, and create a compelling case for people to get behind them.

I fully expect a few one word (or even) two word posts but this is NOT a BRAG bashing thread, this is a constructive discussion. This is also not a platform for people to criticise individuals - that is all too easy - take it to Twitter if that's your bag

Action Group folk, please try to see past any personal digs (to be fair you usually do) and consider your responses, and the way people will try to twist them. This is not a trap or me trying to bait anyone but I think it's a relevant question in current climate.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

My opinion on it is (and for what's its worth I'm not a card carrying member of the group so it carries no weight) that the group should continue with their projects and as a supporters group providing travel and the like but would think its probably for the best if a back seat was taken (at least for the time being) on the football front.

Rightly or wrongly the divisions in the fanbase are seemingly being widened with each idea or press release and I can't see any way that it can be repaired now, opinions have been formed and for a lot there is a 'with them or against them' attitude no matter the content or merit of the idea. For example the group could come up with a truly revolutionary idea that changes everything and you could guarantee and even name in advance the people that would shoot it down.

As Stuart said lets keep the debate reasonable and not get personal

Agree with Stuart and Tom, they should be kept alive for their efforts in community etc. But for matters with Blackburn Rovers, they should step back and see how the new set-up goes. We have a new PR company, a new management team and we are hearing less and less from Shebby Singh. It seems, albeit on the surface, that things are starting to improve.

So what is their role now? To continue seeking a change of ownership? As much as people won't like it, I believe Venkys are here to stay for the long haul and so their efforts will in the end come to nothing. Time to take a step back BRAG.

Its something for BRAG and their members to decide. I think given the animosity towards them, and particularly towards Glenn, they should hold some members only meetings and decide what they want to do behind closed doors. I'd guess their active member numbers are now much lower than 12 months ago.

• Backroom
Another brag bash thread woop woop

I wouldn't class it as that at all and anything that gets personal will be removed, I'd like to think we can have a reasoned debate about it

Ideally it would have been good as one of Glenn's old debate threads with set rules on what constitutes a worthwhile response

If you're a member then your view has validity. If you're not you are self-indulgent.

This is BRFCS - a messageboard for all fans of Blackburn Rovers that has been running since 1996.

The stats say - 8472 members, 998,138 posts.

Everyone who posts on here has validity, and nobody is self-indulgent.

You have no right to discipline people on here who don't happen to like what BRAG are doing - you can go and post on the BRAG messageboard with your other BRAG friends.

Currently 74 posts from 365 members. Good luck, good bye, and good riddance.

I wouldn't class it as that at all and anything that gets personal will be removed, I'd like to think we can have a reasoned debate about it

Ideally it would have been good as one of Glenn's old debate threads with set rules on what constitutes a worthwhile response

There's another 100000 threads to discuss it on to be fair .

This is BRFCS - a messageboard for all fans of Blackburn Rovers that has been running since 1996.

The stats say - 8472 members, 998,138 posts.

Everyone who posts on here has validity, and nobody is self-indulgent.

You have no right to discipline people on here who don't happen to like what BRAG are doing - you can go and post on the BRAG messageboard with your other BRAG friends.

Currently 74 posts from 365 members. Good luck, good bye, and good riddance.

Your goodbyes are premature. I'm not going anywhere.

Sure, you can post whatever you like on here (MODS permitting) and that's what I just did!

You have no right to tell another organisation what to do imo but carry on if it makes you happy. It makes for boring reading though and is pointless.

Hasn't it been done to death already?

I have to say being a full member of the action group having attended a match protest and a meeting with the FA at Wembley having met many influencial people who have praised the action group and having attended a meeting in Blackburn with the AG they have not served their purpose they fully deserve the praise they have received and having attended one of the protests they have always done everything by the book the officials at the club can hardly look themselves in the eye and say they have acted properly and I must stress there has never been any trouble with members of the group so anyone who thinks they are thugs are so mistaken. Also people need to remember if it wasn't for the action group making life difficult for Steve Kean with the protests that clown might still be here and thanks to the tremendous hard work with fellow members Philipl & Kamy with info which was presented to the authorities in London this club would be on the floor with no hope thanks to Glen,Mark & Rob this club still has a chance of surviving. The way they have gone about opening up a communication channel with the club has been nothing short of magnificent. The tremendously hard work in putting Derian House on the map and the ongoing help they have given to such a deserving charity. Also the fact they have gone above and beyond in liasing with Blackburn council to set all these community events and the walk-in centre at rovers which deals with all football and non football matters they have to be praised and we need to be thankful for the hard work they have done for this footy club since the start so no BRAG still have an important role to play and people should be praising them not having a go.

To be frank Derian House didn't need 'putting on the map' It's been well supported for years now. Motorcycle groups do charity runs to there etc. 'Putting it on the map' is a strong claim and clearly wrong. However, supporting it is a well worthwhile thing to do.

As for BRFCAG continuing, that's their choice. To know what they actually want to achieve now would be a bloody good pointer as to why they are still around. An action group needs a purpose and a driving force. BRFCAG doesn't appear (to the outsider) to have those.

My own personal view is that the more "groups" keeping an eye and ear on individuals and events involved in "running" the club the better whether that be the Fans Forum, BRFCAG , Rovers Trust etc , they come at things from different angles but their main aim is what is in the best interests of the club unfortunately this can not be said in my opinion for some people who are in a position (in public and not public view) to do so.

Especially now where we have a manager who seems to have taken the spotlight off, off field activities and seems to have appeased a lot of the supporter base these groups are needed more than ever. Whilst there is money still left at the club people should not be blinded by events on field and actions and events up to and including the recent appointment should not be forgotten

Another brag bash thread woop woop
Did you even read the opening post Abbey, or just the title? If you did then the point has been lost on you, if you didn't then at least take the time to read it.

It's a genuine question. It may actually turn out that there is a very valid reason to keep going. I'm disappointed that my previous posts on the subject haven't earned me the benefit of the doubt. Same applies to you 47er. There may be several other threads dragged off topic and broken down into squabbling, this one is trying to enable a proper adult discussion.

I have to say being a full member of the action group having attended a match protest and a meeting with the FA at Wembley having met many influencial people who have praised the action group and having attended a meeting in Blackburn with the AG they have not served their purpose they fully deserve the praise they have received and having attended one of the protests they have always done everything by the book the officials at the club can hardly look themselves in the eye and say they have acted properly and I must stress there has never been any trouble with members of the group so anyone who thinks they are thugs are so mistaken. Also people need to remember if it wasn't for the action group making life difficult for Steve Kean with the protests that clown might still be here and thanks to the tremendous hard work with fellow members Philipl & Kamy with info which was presented to the authorities in London this club would be on the floor with no hope thanks to Glen,Mark & Rob this club still has a chance of surviving. The way they have gone about opening up a communication channel with the club has been nothing short of magnificent. The tremendously hard work in putting Derian House on the map and the ongoing help they have given to such a deserving charity. Also the fact they have gone above and beyond in liasing with Blackburn council to set all these community events and the walk-in centre at rovers which deals with all football and non football matters they have to be praised and we need to be thankful for the hard work they have done for this footy club since the start so no BRAG still have an important role to play and people should be praising them not having a go.
Again. I have covered all of the good things they have done - and even expressed my gratitude. They do deserve praise for what they have done, absolutely 100%. What I'm interested in are the plans for the future. Is there anything left for them to achieve? Is it simply the threat that they can quickly mobilise protests and is do they achieve anything.

Now that we are down to 8,000 or so hardy souls who have put up with the crap that they have - and made a decision to stay would here be an appetite for, say, a boycott.

Even when they ask people to support the club/badge they are ridiculed and insulted - just look at the LT comments page.

• Backroom

I believe the group has served their initial purpose. It appears there is no purpose at the moment due to the contrast between their mission statement (communication with venkys) and the Appleton statement (no communication with venkys).

However, if they continue their good work with independent travel and community projects, then that's fantastic. Good luck to them.

The only issue most people have is the seemingly flip-flop knee-jerk manner in which press releases are made. If they cut that out they'll be fine to keep around.

For example, if this 'back the badge' initiative becomes a full-on, consistent, possibly year-on-year campaign to get the fans back to Ewood, then I'm sure many would welcome their efforts. I certainly would.

It's a matter of keeping focus more than anything.

I'd prefer to see all the various groups disbanded and come together as the Blackburn Rovers Supporters Club with branches in all the outlying towns, as in days gone by.

Each branch to nominate members to meet with club on a monthly basis.

I'd prefer to see all the various groups disbanded and come together as the Blackburn Rovers Supporters Club with branches in all the outlying towns, as in days gone by.

For me this is exactly what needs to happen all the groups come together and work together, regardless of personal issues.

This is probably the most feasible alternative to the current set-up, although I think the supporter groups would be best served as 'independents' rather than run by the club. I suppose that there is nothing to stop these being set-up right now and know for a fact that in the past Glenn has been keen to see something similar get off the ground.

Maybe you could set the standard and get the Adlington/Chorley branch up and running...

Archived