BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers Football Club v Bristol City Football Club – Saturday 2nd February 2013 – Kick Off – 3pm

Having worked very hard (during work hours ;)) to compile a comprehensive match preview for the Wolves game earlier this season, only to receive two muted and somewhat begrudging ‘good preview’ comments, I thought Kean Them and I would do far less this time round and not bother with any research at all.

That only leaves what I know of Bristol City Football Club, which to be truthful is not very much. I am aware however that they are based in Bristol at Ashton Gate in the south of the City and that they now have four stands at the ground (the old open away end has long gone) and presumably still have a grass pitch, probably green in colour. A red kit seems to ring a bell, along with a century of under-achievement.

Luckily for me, or unluckily for him dependant on your view, my neighbour supports them. Well ‘support’ is I guess a bit strong, as he can’t even tell me how they have got on most of the time, but he talks a good game anyway. In fact he doesn’t, he is pretty much clueless but I smile politely as not everyone devotes most of their life to football and also because my son has smashed a rear pain of glass in his greenhouse that he presumably hasn’t found yet, as we have not got the ball back.

I do know however that we have at least two things in common. After visiting their club website for information when we played them away I can confirm they have the same useless web platform as the Rovers and that a former player of ours, Mr. Jon Stead plays for them and was player of the year for them last year. I also know that our very own bushy haired left back Mr. John Bailey, striker Andy Cole and wait for it, yes the well respected Mr. Bradley Orr also played for them.

Recognising my total lack of interest in his club, I therefore asked a series of in-depth questions to my neighbour enabling me to share his amazing insight into all things Bristol City.

Question One - What is the name of your club?

Answer - Bristol City Football Club

Question Two - Where do you play?

Answer - Ashton Gate Stadium, Bristol BS3 2EJ – (He found the postcode on a mail-shot letter – but then again do you know the Rovers postcode? Thought not).

Question Three - What colour is your kit?

Answer - Red and Black.

Question Four – Who is your best player?

Answer – Sam Baldock, but his best mate likes Stephen Pearson.

Question Five – In your lifetime what is your clubs best achievement?

Answer – 2nd division Runners Up mid 1970’s.

Question Six – How is it going this year?

Answer – Badly.

Question Seven – Who is your manager?

Answer - Sean O’driscoll.

Question Eight – What is your nickname?

Answer - The Robins or Reds.

Question Nine – Who are your main rivals?

Answer – Bristol Rovers.

Question Ten – Hope’s for this season?

Answer - To avoid relegation.

Having totally exhausted the comprehensive information available from this source, I had to change tack to glean further tit-bits and therefore spoke with his 8 year old son, sadly pressured against his will to follow his father in supporting the Robins, or the Cider Army, as someone else pointed out.

He said that they have many famous fans, including Russell Crowe (moody actor), Jensen Button (dodgy driver) and John Cleese (the comedian). He also said that Tony Robinson (from Blackadder) was a regular visitor on match-days. He denied after recent allegations that Justin Lee Collins was also a fan. My favourite (famous fan) was Marcus Trescothick however, one for having the word thick in his surname, but mainly as I loved watching him hammering the Aussies all over the park until he felt a bit stressed earning fortunes playing professional sport.

Recognising that this preview would be scrutinised in minute detail, I thought I had better check that they do have four stands having predicted it so confidently earlier in the piece. I therefore visited Wikipedia, established as the most accurate world-wide information resource available. Thankfully I was right, not that anyone will be too interested;

Blackthorn Atyeo Stand - The Atyeo Stand was built in 1994 to replace the old open terrace. The Home and Away team dressing rooms are now in the Atyeo Stand. Open to home fans only. Official capacity: 4,249.

Bristol Evening Post Dolman Stand - A two sectioned stand, with lower tier only added in 1995. Beneath the stand is the Evening Post Dolman Exhibition Hall, home to the Supporters Club. Official capacity: 6,195.

Lancer Scott Williams Stand - This stand incorporates old wooden seating, new Premier Seating and the Director's Box. Ashton Gate's Press Box can also be found at the back of this stand. There are a few supporting pillars only affecting the upper part of the stand, which houses home fans only. Official capacity: 5,553.

Wedlock Stand - There are a fair few number of supporting pillars in this stand although the roof is low so a good following can produce a large amount of noise. The away end, which can also house home supporters when attendances dictate. Official capacity: 5,500.

Whilst on Wikipedia at the Bristol City page, I also copied and pasted the following purely to fill some space in this report.

• Record League victory – 9–0 v. Aldershot FC - (28 December 1946)
  • Record FA Cup victory – 11–0 v. Chichester FC - (5 November 1960)
  • Record League defeat – 0–9 v. Coventry City FC - (28 April 1934)
  • Highest attendance – 43,335 v. Preston North End (16 February 1935)
  • Highest attendance (at any ground) – 86,703 v. Hull City - Championship Play-Off Final – Wembley Stadium – (24 May 2008)
  • Most League appearances – 597, John Atyeo - (1951–66)
  • Most League goals scored – 314, John Atyeo - (1951–66)
  • Most goals scored (overall) – 351, John Atyeo - John Atyeo (1951–66)
  • Most goals scored in a season – 36, Don Clark - (1946–47)
  • Record transfer fee paid – £2.25 million to Crewe Alexander for Nicky Maynard - (July 2008)
  • Record transfer fee received – £3.5 million from Wolverhampton Wanderers for Ade Akinbiyi - (July 1999)
  • Record sequence of League wins – 14; 9 September 1905 – 2 December 1905 – This is a joint league record.

Summary – Writing previews is not for the busy, dyslexic, or those with better things to do. Oh and Rovers should beat this shower 4-0.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

very good oojw ..... btw how long into the conversation did you get before the subject of Bristol Cities being a rhyming slang for Topman's favourite part of the female 's form come up?

Three "Goods" & one "Very good" already, OOJW. I'll make it 3-2 'cos I thought it was very good, too - I like your style. I'd have said excellent if it weren't for the fact you've left me with a question: this here Wedlock stand of theirs - is it named after Fred Wedlock?! ^_^

I don't think this match'll be easy as the Cup-tie was and that's largely because they now have a very good manager, too. Still think we'll win, though largely because of our new manager's had longer to get us playing the way he wants us to than their manager has.

Oh, btw; you're dead right; as a retired bloke who does a couple of previews a season, I totally agree with you; writing previews is not for the busy, dyslexic, or those with better things to do!

Three "Goods" & one "Very good" already, OOJW. I'll make it 3-2 'cos I thought it was very good, too - I like your style. I'd have said excellent if it weren't for the fact you've left me with a question: this here Wedlock stand of theirs - is it named after Fred Wedlock?! ^_^

I don't think this match'll be easy as the Cup-tie was and that's largely because they now have a very good manager, too. Still think we'll win, though largely because of our new manager's had longer to get us playing the way he wants us to than their manager has.

Oh, btw; you're dead right; as a retired bloke who does a couple of previews a season, I totally agree with you; writing previews is not for the busy, dyslexic, or those with better things to do!

Thanks for the positive comments m1st, muchos appreciated to one and all. I might do another one now! The stand is named after 'Outof'....;) not Fred.

• Backroom

Was starting to enjoy being a Rovers fan and looking forward to this but yesterday feels like a kick in the teeth and a stark reminder that under these fools we can never progress

• Backroom

We suddenly have no options for the right wing, I'd be tempted to put CKR there but he looked much better up front with Rhodes

Looks like it will be Pedersen on the right and Marcus Olsson on the left for the foreseeable then

Likely team

Kean

Orr Dann Hanley Olsson

Pedersen Lowe Murphy Olsson 2

Rhodes CKR

Usai, Goodwillie, Kane, Gomes, Nunes, Dunn, R Hanley?

Thanks Venkys

Archived