BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers Football Club v Bristol City Football Club – Saturday 2nd February 2013 – Kick Off – 3pm

I honestly wouldn't compare CKR to Roberts, Davies or Heskey. You're almost guaranteed a shift out of that latter three. CKR picks and chooses when he can be assed to make an effort. The post just reads like a contrived build-up to another swipe at the fans. Never known someone loathe his fellow Rover as much as that guy.

I've been thinking that myself. SKH poster seems to hate Rovers fans. I don't know how he can stand to sit in Ewood when he seems to despise us. I bet he has to spend all week in the bath after going to a game.

I do like the Hypnotoad reference in his name, though, so not all bad

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly wouldn't compare CKR to Roberts, Davies or Heskey. You're almost guaranteed a shift out of that latter three. CKR picks and chooses when he can be assed to make an effort. The post just reads like a contrived build-up to another swipe at the fans. Never known someone loathe his fellow Rover as much as that guy.

I don't loathe Rovers fans, was saying how fantastic our away support was at Derby just last week. But yeah I do loathe the scapegoating mentality of some fans, although that happens at every club, not just this one. Doesn't stop me wanting to criticise it though because its led to some truly disgraceful things here in recent years. Andrews having something thrown at him as he was substituted, Roberts being booed as he walked across the pitch 15 minutes after a game, CKR receiving a torrent of online abuse for not passing to Rhodes one match, Pedersen getting stick every single game despite nearly a decade of committed service. The older fans say its always gone on, but over my 20 years or so of watching Rovers, its definitely got worse. Don't know whether its the money players earn, the increasing pressures people are under in their day to day lives, or there's just more jackasses about these days. But the concept of abusing your own players reminds me of gloryhunting, it used to be looked on with utter contempt and its now treated by many as acceptable.

• Backroom

I don't loathe Rovers fans, was saying how fantastic our away support was at Derby just last week. But yeah I do loathe the scapegoating mentality of some fans, although that happens at every club, not just this one. Doesn't stop me wanting to criticise it though because its led to some truly disgraceful things here in recent years. Andrews having something thrown at him as he was substituted, Roberts being booed as he walked across the pitch 15 minutes after a game, CKR receiving a torrent of online abuse for not passing to Rhodes one match, Pedersen getting stick every single game despite nearly a decade of committed service. The older fans say its always gone on, but over my 20 years or so of watching Rovers, its definitely got worse. Don't know whether its the money players earn, the increasing pressures people are under in their day to day lives, or there's just more jackasses about these days. But the concept of abusing your own players reminds me of gloryhunting, it used to be looked on with utter contempt and its now treated by many as acceptable.

Agreed fully. Anyone who cannot give praise when due is going to struggle as a fan of any club. Ditto those relentlessly positive (which doesn't bode too well for me haha).

Disgraceful? For one, it was Andrews who hurled the bottle, not the other way around. Nothing like a bit of revisionism.

Players should be big enough and mature enough to handle criticism that comes their way, even from the small minority of their own fanbase. Fans are given a platform to express their feelings towards the team. If supporting the team and celebrating when they do well is socially acceptable, then fans also have every right to voice their frustration if they feel a player is playing within himself and not wearing the shirt with pride.

Reading Garners book revealed a quote by Jim Branagan regarding a perpetual moaner on the Riverside. Branagan was going to leap into the crowd and throttle him on one occasion!

It's always been this way. The treatment dished out to many players down the years has been totally counter productive. A cross section of society attend and all have their own ways.

I have to agree that a blatant lack of professionalism however, like Benni Mac piling on the pounds (amongst others I could name still playing) is totally unacceptable and players deserve all they get in those instances.

Sheep like criticisms from uneducated followers are very frustrating though, especially when you can't or don't want to change your seat!

On the subject of abusing players, our fans have on the whole been very calm this last two years or so. How many performances lacked true grit, effort and determination over that period? Loads.

Disgraceful? For one, it was Andrews who hurled the bottle, not the other way around. Nothing like a bit of revisionism.

Players should be big enough and mature enough to handle criticism that comes their way, even from the small minority of their own fanbase. Fans are given a platform to express their feelings towards the team. If supporting the team and celebrating when they do well is socially acceptable, then fans also have every right to voice their frustration if they feel a player is playing within himself and not wearing the shirt with pride.

It sometimes isn't a small minority though. Its a small minority of total idiots who launch loud swearing insults at players every 5 minutes, but then a lot more tend to join in with the criticism when a decent opportunity presents itself. I'm sure the players are big enough and mature enough to handle it, the point though is it will never make them play better and will sometimes make them play worse. Being paid a lot of money doesn't turn you into an emotionless robot, if that was what happened to players, none of them would ever celebrate goals, smile or show any passion during matches. I like players who wear their heart on their sleeve, and if a player is doing that then its gonna effect him when his own fans lay into him after every mistake.

Those last 2 sentences describe a customer more than a fan to me. I agree with criticism if its a lack of effort thats being shown. But thats rarely the case, mostly its that the player just isn't that good, is short on confidence or is simply having a bad game. But if the manager picks him then he deserves support. To me fans place far too high an importance on their own opinion when it comes to team selection etc. This singing for substitutes, changes in formation, or trying to hound a player until the manager drops him from the team, is arrogant and odious beyond words. I can't think of anything worse than wasting my money on watching a team where fans force their tactical opinions on the manager. The manager is (usually) a highly qualified, highly knowledgeable professional. The fans are (usually) uncomprehending amateurs.

If intense criticism of the likes of Orr, Etuhu, Pedersen, Murphy and Kazim-Richards was kept to either side of the 90 minutes, I wouldn't have any problem with it. But it never is because some fans would rather victimise and bully certain players than encourage them. I guess thats just more enjoyable to some people.

Football's a tough game and it calls for strength of character. Fans giving stick to players, either your own players or the oppositions player has always happened and always will. Players know this and if they can't cope, then they'll have to find some other means of employment. It's just the world of football.

Archived