BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] What's your biggest fear?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bit deep this - and probably an obvious one:

Not being able to provide for my family.

Good logical one that.

Shame that a few million in this country don't share that view.

I'm petrified of flying, mainly just take off. My mind doesn't understand how a large lump of metal can lift itself to 40,000 feet.

• Backroom

Good logical one that.

I'm petrified of flying, mainly just take off. My mind doesn't understand how a large lump of metal can lift itself to 40,000 feet.

That's a reason to believe in magic haha. Just because some of us understand the mechanics of how something works, doesn't make it any less of a miracle. That's just another word for magic.

A shame such a quote comes out of True Blood :/

Good logical one that.

Get yourself on a Virgin Flying without fear course. Husband who couldn't even watch planes at airport let alone contemplate getting on one did the course and has now flown to france and germany and is off to Korea to son's wedding in Summer. Worth every penny of the £200 we paid.

Its not the act of dying, its being told i'm going to die. Its the panic i couldnt deal with.

On the whole i try not to get bogged down in worry. My wife spends her entire life in fear of one thing or another. I think thats crazy. Imagine getting to the moment before life slips away and thinking 'i've spent my whole life worrying about this moment and here it is'. I'd sooner just get on with it.

When i was a boy i had a massive fear of train tracks and dogs. But i have no idea why.

Indeed, but still a scary thought that I could be lumbered in the same bracket as no-mark scrotes who don't want to work and treated as such by the govt.

Heights is understandable but all relative imo. When it's one of the few phobias we have with evolutionary benefits, I find it slightly odd to call it a phobia as we're all scared of heights to some degree surely?

Apart from Felix Whatshisname.

Fear is of a realistic danger, phobia is of something unrealistically dangerous.

So your fear of not finding a job is, to me, realistic, whereas my fear of heights (such as not being able to look at them on TV, without wincing) is unrealistic. I used to work with someone who cried at the sight of a balloon, thats a phobia.

And my feeling on the job market is that even at present, if you really want to work, you'll find a way. It may not be ideal, or remotely what you want to do, but its far easier to find a job whilst in on, than when you arent, but I also understand its not easy either.

Having seen and dealt with death quite a lot in a previous job, I honestly don't have any fear of it at all.

People who just died in the sleeps looked extremely peaceful and, on speaking with experts, your body just very gradually slows down to the point where it stops.

Dying a horrible, violent death, maybe - but dying in your sleep appears to be a very peaceful and dignified thing.

For me, certainly anything bad happening to my wife or son.

So many things can potentially go wrong during pregnancy through to being a young baby (and almost did during labour), but thankfully they're both fine and the boy is now 7 months and thriving.

Nothing that the bottom of a thong (flipflops to those north of the equator) couldn't solve.

Actually, as I got older I realised fears come and go.

Used to go climbing, now hights bother me.

I developed and then got over claustrophobia.

Death is no longer a concern, I have a greater worry over missing out on new technology, and not being able to do the things that I haven't managed yet.

How did you overcome claustrophobia?

Spiders - I have to get out of the room or get the cat to deal with any large house spiders. Ugh.

I think the strangest one was a co-worker at a mini-mart who had a phobia of cucumbers and courgettes! If a customer bought one he'd get them to scan it themselves...of course we his colleagues treated this with sensitivity and tact :rolleyes::lol:

How did you overcome claustrophobia?

When I was flying in a small plane, I'd always make certain I had an aisle seat, and close my eyes until I was calm enough to open them.

Deep breathing helped as well. Recently, flying to Whistler from Victoria Harbour in a seaplane, I had a bit of a flashback, so I moved seats and hey presto, every thing ok.

I remember being in a series of caves in NZ and completely freaking out. Had to go back! Since then, I've been in a few caves and not experienced quite the same problem. Again focussing, deep breathing and convincing myself that everything was ok.

So I suppose it was a matter of calming myself down through thought and taking deep breaths.

Archived