BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] GAZZA

ABBEY

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No sympathy for him whatsoever. Had the money but decided to waste it all on booze. Great player but a pathetic individual who doesn't even deserve the media attention he is getting.

kind of agree, mostly wasted his talent, has been offered loads of help in his life, there are regular folks on every street in the country that have equal or worst problems than him that get very little help & support in their lives, I also think if any normal person had pulled some of the stunts(that he regards as pranks) they'd likely have done quite a bit of jail time, So i can empathise with him but have very little sympathy.

A terrible shame....he was a true working class hero

Unfortunately there is the rub! He had a God given talent the likes of which come along only every decade or so. Man Utd could have saved him but that is just speculation. Problem is that he chose not to utilise it fully to become elevated to the status of an all time great but to p1ss it all away in true George Best @#/? style. (After seeing a documentary of his career screened years ago I actually lay a lot of blame for that on his useless scrote of a Father.) The even bigger problem is that his lasting legacy is to be glorfified in the way you have described him by so many impressionable people. Holding pissheads and waistrals in high regard is almost a disease in this country.

I doubt he will have long left but never grieve for Gascoigne cos he may as well have died the day he hung up his boots. I just hope Terry Venables keeps his spivvy face off the TV screen when he dies.

Living in Aylesbury, I went to the Gazza dinner in Northampton on Thursday. I thought he was clean and was genuinely looking forward to going there with a couple of Spurs-supporting mates and hearing Gazza regail stories about his fantastic career. In hindsight, I wish I hadn't been there at all. It was a tragic night.

Things got off to a very bizarre start when the MC appeared on the stage at the start of the evening and said: "just to warn you all, Gazza isn't a well man and he's had a bit of a turn today. He's had a couple of pints that have affected his medication and he should really be in hospital. But he doesn't want to let you down and wants the evening to continue. Just bear that in mind and go easy on him because he's fragile tonight."

I honestly thought it was a joke and i was just waiting for the punchline. But it didn't come. Instead, the door flung open and in came Gazza being carried by two bouncers and shaking violently. I couldn't believe what I was seeing and when he opened his mouth to speak, I couldn't believe what i was hearing. It was totally bad taste and when he started crying, I got up and walked out. I didn't want to watch.

Gazza only stayed on stage for 10 or so minutes but it was like watching a freak show/car crash.

The guy is seriously, seriously ill and he should never have been anywhere near Northampton on Thursday. His agent should be totally ashamed of himself for not having the balls to manage the situation on Gazza's behalf and do what was right for him.

The mood for the rest of the night was flat to say the least, as people tried to come to terms with what they'd seen. I guess the only positive was that a hell of a lot of money was raised for charity.

Guest Norbert

To be blunt, either death within the next few years or acute Korsakoff's syndrome (which is basically alcohol induced dementia) awaits Paul. It is always sad to see talented people collapse under the weight of addiction and mental health issues, but it does happen fairly often. Beethoven, Best, Gazza, Gaurincha and probably many more I have forgotten have all ended up the same way.

No sympathy for him whatsoever. Had the money but decided to waste it all on booze. Great player but a pathetic individual who doesn't even deserve the media attention he is getting.

this.

He had every chance to do good and live a somewhat respectfull life, but apparently alcohol was and still is, much more important.

"A person like this"? Do you mean a wife-beater?

Nice sig.

edit: So it's unfair to hope for a reformation of character and feel sympathy for what he is going through?

I imagine a lot of posters on here will be 'lock em up and throw away the key' types.

I don't excuse his past but I hope he sorts himself out because it is not nice for anyone to go through.

As a side note, unrelated to my sympathy, I can't help but worry about the danger he may face to others if the focus remains on exploitation over treatment.

It's a joke, I'm not condoning rape. "Get over it". Mike Tyson's a scumbag as well but has said some amusing things over the years that I've used in my signature before.

I don't feel any sympathy for wife beaters in answer to your question. People should be trying to help him if he's willing to accept it but the onus is on him to sort his life out.

I feel sympathy for his family like I've said before.

It's a joke, I'm not condoning rape. "Get over it". Mike Tyson's a scumbag as well but has said some amusing things over the years that I've used in my signature before.

I don't feel any sympathy for wife beaters in answer to your question. People should be trying to help him if he's willing to accept it but the onus is on him to sort his life out.

I feel sympathy for his family like I've said before.

It appears as though he was doing well for a prolonged period and then the death of a friend tipped him back over the age.

• Backroom

Forgive my scepticism, but 'willing' suggests it wasn't his own idea. But at least it's help. Good luck to him.

But I expect he'll be out and getting @#/? again. They say you should never judge a man by his past, but it's hard to do anything else with addicts.

Well hopefully it will be and hopefully that reason will be because he makes a recovery.

Care to place a bet? It might be the last time but I seriously doubt he will recover. Sadly I've seen too many go down the same road. Once down at his level it's a hell of a way back and tbh I can't see the necessary strength in him.

Care to place a bet? It might be the last time but I seriously doubt he will recover. Sadly I've seen too many go down the same road. Once down at his level it's a hell of a way back and tbh I can't see the necessary strength in him.

I merely spoke of my hopes. Placing a bet on such events is not in good taste, though I don't imagine the offer was a genuine one. I would hope not, anyway.

Forgive my scepticism, but 'willing' suggests it wasn't his own idea. But at least it's help. Good luck to him.

But I expect he'll be out and getting @#/? again. They say you should never judge a man by his past, but it's hard to do anything else with addicts.

I imagine it's hard for someone to willingly arrange all of this whilst in the position he was in.

• Backroom

To be fair, it seems he's asked for this help rather than just being made to do it by Evans, Linekar etc. Hope he succeeds in beating his addiction. Just a shame he keeps slipping back into it.

He needs a complete lifestyle change - minimum. Even then it'll be hell and a prison sentence for the rest of his life.

I don't know why but I imagine him as a very lonely guy. They reckon a lot of ex-players struggle to come to terms with there being no more adulation and applause. Even with players with lesser talent. Imagine "coming down" from the highs Gascoigne reached. Particularly the media attention.

Sad.

Archived