BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Match Fixing

Kamy100

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Either the World Cup should be revamped or a parallel tournament and organization should be set up, the FIFA system leaves a lot to be desired and it is a very old organization but it's not run right. The Olympic Committee makes mistakes too but hopefully, they learn from them.

I think the Euro and World Cup are a lot of fun to watch but let's not kid ourselves, there have been plenty of cases of corruption, etc. in it, it's just that I think one looks beyond the problems at least with the World Cup, seems the Euro is okay.

Guest Norbert

Fell over to allow Cambiaso to very nearly score, and missed a sitter too. You never know, he might have been bought off! After all, everyone thought Hansie Cronje was a clean cut, honest guy. And Giggs was too, in a different way.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Norbert

I doubt even an FBI investigation would shift those crooks. Old men like that lot will be harder to shift off the gravy train than Gary Glitter from a Vietnamese orphanage.

And talking of corruption and suchlike, a former director of Dundee has been sent down:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21969624

Wasn't he also associated with Mandaric and Portsmouth?

So that FBI story implicates the Financial Times.

You don't get much closer to the heart of the British Establishment than that.

Just has the feeling that a massive unravelling is about to happen like the News of the World hacking.

Guest Norbert

So that FBI story implicates the Financial Times.

You don't get much closer to the heart of the British Establishment than that.

Just has the feeling that a massive unravelling is about to happen like the News of the World hacking.

All the more reason for the story to be put down, and the gravy train to rumble on. Even though we all 'know' how corrupt FIFA are (even the Swiss authorities are scrutinising them), they will all somehow get away with it to a large extent, as every country wants to have the World Cup, and there are plenty of greedy old men willing to take bungs. I think DE. is right on this one.

The Transpaqrency in Sport blog links through to a lengthy Reuters report on the FBI investigation which says that Warner son is clearly not free to leave Florida.

The pay-off line in the Reuters article:

The New York-based FBI squad which is conducting the football investigation is a squad that specializes in "Eurasian Organized Crime." It is unclear why this particular squad is involved in the probe.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/03/27/uk-usa-fbi-soccer-idUKBRE92Q11620130327 Knowing how bloody minded American law enforcement agencies tend to be and that the USA alone has nothing riding on football, I wouldn't be entirely confident that this will blow over.

• 3 weeks later...

English soccer’s governing body and Britain’s Gambling Commission are looking into suspicious betting on games in one of the nation’s lower divisions.

The Football Association has been made aware of the activity involving games in the sixth-tier Football Conference South Division, the group said today in a statement, without giving specific details.

The governing body is contacting all 22 clubs in the league to ask each to remind players and officials of their responsibility under the F.A.’s betting-and-integrity rules. Anyone with information regarding possible breaches of these rules is being urged to come forward to either the F.A. or Gambling Commission, the soccer body said.

The F.A. also said it and the commission are continuing to work to further assess the evidence regarding the suspicious betting.

The U.K. investigation comes among wider concerns about match-fixing in soccer. Last month, FIFA, the sport’s global governing body, suspended people in Italy, South Korea and China for involvement in match-fixing.

Later in February, the Europol police agency said a Singapore-based operation tried to fix games across Europe, including World Cup and European Championship qualifiers, to generate more than 8 million euros ($10.5 million) in profit.

An 18-month investigation, Operation VETO, found 425 match officials, club executives, players and criminals in 15 countries worked to cheat in more than 380 matches, with another 300 targeted in other regions.

To contact the reporter on this story: Bob Bensch in London at bbensch@bloomberg.net.

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Christopher Elser at celser@bloomberg.net.

Ah cheers Hanks.....thanks for bursting my bubble lol

Yeah your right Abbey, K*** didn't half do some lip smacking in the post match interview......it was odd to say the least, I remember him banging on about ball revolutions or summat.

Spurs v rovers was dodgiest game I've EVER seen

I cant get past that game either - I keep banging on about it - but Dunn's wink when he came off still riles me and even this seasons heroics against Burnley wont erase the memory

Warner and Blazer implicated in dodgy dealings by CONCACAF special counsel; http://sports.yahoo.com/news/soccer-warner-blazer-fraudulent-concacaf-management-report-chief-172026112--sow.html

I wonder if this is linked to the New York Times taking an interest in Rovers?

I didn't know. Just idle speculation.

No surprises.The only question is how quickly will it get swept under the carpet.

In contrast with the BBC story of the all too predictable FIFA watering down of its anti-corruption initiative to render it totally ineffectual, here is a slightly more encouraging story: http://www.economist.com/blogs/gametheory/2013/04/corruption-sport-0?fsrc=nlw|newe|4-22-2013|5582513|37173128|

Incidentally, Kentaro pretty well stepped into the shoes of the previously corrupt and bankrupt FIFA marketing partners didn't they?

Archived