BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Match Fixing

Kamy100

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8924593/match-fixing-soccer</p></blockquote>

Sadly I believe that this us an accurate representation and that for much if the past 24 months our club and our fans have been victims.

Let me get this right. In the article it is said that a referee is nobbled. Are you saying that in some of our games the referees have been bought off?

Let me get this right. In the article it is said that a referee is nobbled. Are you saying that in some of our games the referees have been bought off?

Mate, Philipl doesnt have a clue. he just makes up wild untrue rumours. he has no edivence or facts to back his claims.

• 4 weeks later...

The referee in the United-Madrid game has made an incredible decision to send Nani off.

Completely changed the match and is almost certain to send United out of the Champions League.

Ordinarily I couldn't care less about them but the sending off was unbelievable.

• Backroom

Really dangerous tackle though and one that will often get a red as pathetic as it may look

Yakubu got sent off for similar last season

Really dangerous tackle though and one that will often get a red as pathetic as it may look

Yakubu got sent off for similar last season

Eh? The player he caught wasn't even in his line of vision when he went for the ball. No way was that a straight red, Tom.

I don't if it's "match-fixing" but that was complete and total murder by the referee in the United game. This remains the only major sport where a referee can single-handedly win a match for one team or another. It's pathetic that this keeps happening in this day and age. It is not interesting, it is not intriguing, it is not entertaining, it is a complete and total mockery of a team's efforts. It has happened to us countless of times too.

• Backroom

Eh? The player he caught wasn't even in his line of vision when he went for the ball. No way was that a straight red, Tom.

Whether you mean it or not if you plant your studs in an opponents ribs you could be in bother

Whether you mean it or not if you plant your studs in an opponents ribs you could be in bother

He didn't know the bloke was there.

If he had controlled the ball in that way and the Real player had not come flying in, no-one would have said: "wow, that was a dangerous manoeuvre it's lucky there was no-one about".

It was controlled and an attempt to retrieve the ball out of the air. Didn't Nani get to the ball first too?

Anyway, I'm too annoyed on all counts tonight - so much so I'm agreeing with Jim and @#/? off with Philip. I'm signing off for the evening - talk to you tomorrow.

Therefore Van Persie should have been sent off for that overhead kick in the first half. If your kicking over your head without looking you could have someone's eye out.

I'm fed up with top matches being ruined as a spectacle and a contest by stupid refereeing decisions.

There was only one winner of the game once United were down to 10 men.

And Roy Keane is an thick idiot too. Little wonder he never made it as a manager.

• Backroom

So let's get this straight. Nani was sent off for 'Serious Foul Play'. Nani was 'Careless' as per the rules of the game (foul, but no extra sanction) and 'Reckless' (acted with complete disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, his opponent) which is a yellow card. Acceptable, right?

Here's the awkward bit:

“Using excessive force” means that the player has far exceeded the necessary use of force and is in danger of injuring his opponent.
• A player who uses excessive force must be sent off.

And THAT, is why I think the ref needn't explain his actions. As I've said, I thought it was yellow. But there's enough ambiguity to warrant a red card. Foot high, studs up and (having seen the replay a few more times) into the Madrid players hip/waist.

Excessive force? Judgement call. In danger of injuring opponent? Judgement call. At the speed in real-time? Deffo a yellow. Argument for a red.

He may not be right, but he wasn't wrong either.

So let's get this straight. Nani was sent off for 'Serious Foul Play'. Nani was 'Careless' as per the rules of the game (foul, but no extra sanction) and 'Reckless' (acted with complete disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, his opponent) which is a yellow card. Acceptable, right?[/size]Here's the awkward bit:[/size]“Using excessive force” means that the player has far exceeded the necessary use of force and is in danger of injuring his opponent.[/size]• A player who uses excessive force must be sent off.[/size]And THAT, is why I think the ref needn't explain his actions. As I've said, I thought it was yellow. But there's enough ambiguity to warrant a red card. Foot high, studs up and (having seen the replay a few more times) into the Madrid players hip/waist.[/size]Excessive force? Judgement call. In danger of injuring opponent? Judgement call. At the speed in real-time? Deffo a yellow. Argument for a red.[/size]He may not be right, but he wasn't wrong either.[/size]

Of course he was wrong, Nani didnt use excessive force.

He didnt see the handball on the line by Rafael either.

I do wonder why where it concerns English teams in European Competition (and I include the England team in this) there is always a very obvious controversial moment?

People can have their view on the viscous Nani lunge (I personally think that had he been shown a yellow NO-ONE would have batted en eyelid, let alone have called for a red) but this happens time and time again against English teams. I also think there would have been a lot more defenders of the 'tackler' on here had the incident and result been for the opposition.

Real can have no glory in this result and have one by default - even Mourinho didn't think it should have been red.

Even worse still, there is no point in goading United fans over the result. Needless to say they will be bleating about the decision all week - as the pundit already are (that great mind of football, Roy Keane, excepted).

Is it too much too hope for a pragmatic referee and a fair fight? One who is looking for an excuse to interpret the rules word-for-word to send someone off and therefore ruin a football match should not be handed a Champions League tie - let alone such a high profile one. We could finish games in the completion 9 v 9 with those kinds of referees.

You can't go round with your foot that high in the air, regardless of your intention. He caught Arbeloa in the ribs and that for me is dangerous play. Also, a lot of people failing to realise the other blatant red card that should have been given to Rafael. Clear handball and denying a clear goal scoring opportunity from Ramos' header.

Ferguson the greatest ever manager. 2 European Cups in 25 years of management. Give me Paisley all day long.

Archived