BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Whalley Range ... Laws?

Another aspect that's always baffled me is the insistence that disabled parking be free of charge.

Disabled bays are a great idea, near as possible to the entrance or access to a lift or ramp, superb; after all, there but for the grace of god etc

But why free ?? "We are blue badge holders, and we have to pay ? Disgusting"

err why ?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do English laws not count here ?

Why target football fans and not dangerously parked cars on the range?

So you are inconvenienced by the residents of Whalley Range because the "English" law is not applied to your satisfaction.

However when you visit the Ewood area you object to the "English" law being applied to predominantly English people visiting the area to watch football.

Have you thought this through?

In reality if theres say 5-10 disabled parking bays outside a average size store,gym,etc.. whats the odds of them all being used at the same time by disabled people, Id only ever consider parking in one if there was absolutely nowhere else available, but i do think there's a bit of overly PC'ness about having so many disabled bays when they raraley ever all get occupied at once by disabled people(i also notice that though the cars have a disabled badge in them, a lot of the time its doesnt belong to the actual person driving the car).

Can I suggest you try parking in a disabled space in a busy area.

The blue badge does not have to belong to the person driving the car provided the holder is a passenger in the car. My son does not have the ability to drive a car but is entitled to have a blue badge.

So you are inconvenienced by the residents of Whalley Range because the "English" law is not applied to your satisfaction.

However when you visit the Ewood area you object to the "English" law being applied to predominantly English people visiting the area to watch football.

I think he has. All Abbey wants is the same English law to be applied equally to Whalley Range and football ground areas. His point is that they are not.

The blue badge does not have to belong to the person driving the car provided the holder is a passenger in the car. My son does not have the ability to drive a car but is entitled to have a blue badge.

Why am I inconvenienced ? Well I had to work there today and yet again couldn't get anywhere near where I had to be due to cars parked on the manholes we needed to get in . Also if there's a fire the fire engines can't get thru . Check my earlier post I'd throw the book at anyone parked on yellows. My gripe is whalley range NOONE ever gets done and the police ignore obstructions. Yet at ewood the wardens are in full force .

What are you accusing me of. ?

Have you thought it thru .. Or just stirring?

I think he has. All Abbey wants is the same English law to be applied equally to Whalley Range and football ground areas. His point is that they are not.

Indeed al indeed.some just enjoy jumping on the bash abbey bandwagon .

but most areas of blackburn(other than the town centre,large retail parks and supermarkets at peak times) isnt an especailly busy area and i very rarely see all or even halve the disablled bays occupied and yes sorry, i was refering to blue badged cars that only only have the driver in them yet their clearly not the holder of the badge or simply dont seem to have any pyhsical disability(not so much as a limp). Can very obese people claim a disabled badge?(they usually claim everything else)

To be honest if I had a limp that was going to last for another twenty years (if I was lucky and made it that long) and walking on it was painful, I'd be more than happy with society easing things and introducing parking places near to where I was going. And I don't know anybody with a limp (non-gangster), so no bias there.

ABBEY I'm not accusing you of anything. I'm pointing out your original post specifically referred to English law. What law would you expect to find applied in this country?

T J you don't need to limp to get a blue badge. I have a friend with a form of cancer who has a blue badge.

didnt really mean it literally to be honest, I just meant that many badge holders are clearly more than capable of walking across a car park without it causing to much if any of an issue(and genuinely without meaning to cause offense, maybe the little bit of exercise would be good for them).

That's usual. The intention is to make sure the locals aren't inconvenienced by visiting fans

Ewood Park was there before any of them! As long as cars are taxed and they are not causing an obstruction they should be allowed to park anywhere on a street that is not marked for invalid cars. All this residents only stuff is overplayed.

Parent and child spaces - If you have a child seat with a small child in it you sometimes can't get the seat out as the cars parked next to you are too close. You might also need to get the buggy out to the side of the car to lift the child into.

Quite right. People with small children do need wider car parking spaces and I have absolutely no objections to that. So whats wrong with having them at the back of the car park and not next in line behind disabled spaces?

What irritates most people is that there are simply too many of these spaces allocated. I can never rem seeing all the disabled and mother and child spaces anywhere all taken.

Quite right. People with small children do need wider car parking spaces and I have absolutely no objections to that. So whats wrong with having them at the back of the car park and not next in line behind disabled spaces?

What irritates most people is that there are simply too many of these spaces allocated. I can never rem seeing all the disabled and mother and child spaces anywhere all taken.

I would imagine that that would be down to the planning of the car park. if you need some places with greater space it would be a lot easier to arrange if you put them together.

Surely any sort of vehicle parked dangerously should be scrutinised regardless of them being football fans or not. I see vehicles every morning parked dangerously and causing me and other motorist problems in the Mill Hill area. Those mindless idiots care about nobody but themselves. Then they have the nerve to stand outside whilst having a cigarette and watch their vehicle obstructing others. Idiots.

Taxi's and private cars etc parked and waiting outside houses / shops / pubs etc with the headlights on is a pet hate of mine, as are badly aligned headlights which dazzle drivers of oncoming vehicles and the vehicles in front.

• Backroom

As theno says, I take my mum to the supermarket. We're parent and child relations, so aside from the technicality, I don't see the issue. Tho I only treat these as normal spaces; I don't specifically aim to park in them.

I understand disabled bays being closer to the shops but see no reason for parent/child spaces. What makes it any different to a family of 4 who are all over 18? (Had to make that age point as Darwen is hardly classy haha).

It can be physically impossible to get a car seat out unless the door is fully opened

Common courtesy is dead it seems

Theno - I agree they don't need to be right at the front but if anything they seem to be all taken the majority of the time

T J you don't need to limp to get a blue badge. I have a friend with a form of cancer who has a blue badge.

Nevertheless I'm sure very many of these badges are misused. The system must be wide open to abuse. I've no facts only a suspicioun but I'm sure the motability scheme for providing cars is wide open to abuse too.

btw Your friend has my sympathy of course Paul but does his cancer prevent him walking more than a few yards?

It can be physically impossible to get a car seat out unless the door is fully opened

Why would anyone want to do that Tom? One only needs to get the child out surely?

• Backroom

Most of the time these days the car seat clips into the top of the pram and if a baby's asleep it makes more sense to leave them asleep rather than unsettling them

Nevertheless I'm sure very many of these badges are misused. The system must be wide open to abuse. I've no facts only a suspicion but I'm sure the motability scheme for providing cars is wide open to abuse too.

btw Your friend has my sympathy of course Paul but does his cancer prevent him walking more than a few yards?

Why would anyone want to do that Tom? One only needs to get the child out surely?

I work with somebody that was recently given by the government a free brand new 4x4 just because he has a little arthritis in his knees, hes only upper middle aged works full time and is just as capable as anybody, his only problem is occasional pain and stiffness in his knee which is easily treatable with mild anti inflammatory meds/painkillers and I'm sorry but thats not a disability in my book(just part of life and getting old)

Archived