BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Can you get promoted "too soon"?

Amo

I've heard a few fans say that in the event we gatecrash the playoffs and go up it would be "too soon" and we'd just become the PL's newest whipping boys. Is this a complete footballing myth or is there a nugget of truth to being promoted prematurely? I assume, in our case, the theory is that Appleton would be barely six months into rebuilding process and that the core of our squad still needs strenghtening before we could even think of competing in the top league. However, the counter argument could (and will) be made that even if we did become a yo-yo side, the club desperately needs to climb back on the PL gravy train, as parachute payments will be drying up soon, and that will limit our chances of returning to the big time even more.

Discuss.

"Can you get promoted too soon?"

Dont know, but id love to find out.

Seriously though, I think as long as you have realistic expections of what too expect in your 1st season back in the prem(ie. anything other than releagtion is the number one goal), and you make sure you have a solid hardworking squad with an excelant defensive unit before the season starts.

• Backroom

With the money now involved in the latest prem TV deal, absolutely not. Even if you get murdered week in week out you're still guaranteed £80M. In the current economic climate that kind of money is priceless to any football club.

Agree with what appears to be the general consensus.

We need the money and there's no guarantee we'd even come close to getting promoted next year. There's usually at least 10 teams vying for promotion and Villa and QPR might be going down.

It's all well and good saying if we get rid of the deadwood we can buy the right kind of players but there's a reason they're called deadwood, ie they're unwanted. Etuhu and Peds in particular will be near-impossible to shift.

I don't think we'd get annihilated week-in-week-out anyway. That's teams like Derby and Watford. You don't need a full squad or even full first 11 of Premier League standard players to stay up.

We've got quite a few players anyway who have previously held their own in the Prem, plus we have the summer to strengthen anyway.

I don't think you can get promoted too soon.

You can get promoted skint, and suffer the consequences of a gulf in quality.

Since no-one makes any money out of football, planning for promotion is like planning to have a baby. If you waited until you could afford it, you'd never do it! (Or you may find out it doesn't happen no matter how hard you try!)

Venkys won't fund a premier league team ... Prove

Other than a couple of notable exceptions Abbey, who is prepared to these days to the extent we naively expect?

You can't sell what the venkys have sold and remain competitive in the big boys league,

There's no time like the present to become a yoyo club. We need the money for the good of the club. If that means going up then coming down stronger then so be it. In that event I think we'd lose Appleton, though, regardless of if he did well with his resources. This could be a good thing or a bad thing in the circumstances, but regardless of that I think he'd go.

Championship might be very strong next year and we might lose players in the Summer.

If there is a time when it's too early then it's not for us and it's not now.

You cannot get promoted too soon , I would be amazed if this present squad got us there though !

If they did , the majority would be looking for another club , then it would be down to the owners if they were going to take it seriously , on past form that is a big no no .....

Agreed Stuart,

Don't be fooled into thinking there's nothing to be known about nothing, because without nothing there couldn't be something because the something must exist against a backdrop of nothingness, else what's to distinguish between the two.

Having said that, nothing is a "trouser word". It's defined not by itself but by it's negative, the leg that goes into the trouser. So once you know what "something" is, you know pretty much all that can be known about "nothing", it is that which is not "something".

Archived