BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] IOC HAS NO THOUGHT FOR THE HISTORY OF SPORT

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to agree. It should stay. Up for the vote for the final spot are;

Wrestling will now join seven other sports in applying for inclusion in 2020. The others are a combined bid from baseball and softball, karate, squash, roller sports, sport climbing, wakeboarding and wushu. They will be vying for a single opening in 2020.

The only others I'd consider are karate and squash.

Also, in 2016 Rugby and golf are in. Strange that too.

• Backroom

Football would be one of the first I'd get rid of. Get rid of any professional competitors as it should all be amateurs! If that rule that you have to be in the top 250 in your sport is still there it should be scrapped. It's all about the world's best amateurs dammit :(

Indeed. Football should go. It needs no further funding and the tournament itself contributes very little to the sport as a whole. It isn't the best of the best and it isn't even the best of the amateurs.

Maybe I'm showing my working class roots but dressage can go, along with all other sports that involve animals.

• Backroom

Maybe if they cut some of the swimming events.....

Anytime I was in during the summer and there was an event on I would watch it and for the most part enjoy it....apart from swimming, there was just so much of it

That's a shame as I enjoy watching the grappling events at the Olympics, I didn't think they would ever get rid of wrestling what the ancient Greeks practicing it (Greco-Roman, Pankration etc).

Whoever made the point about the plethora of swimming events has a point.

Maybe I'm showing my working class roots but dressage can go, along with all other sports that involve animals.

Given the number of countries competing I didn't realise that dressage was solely for the upper classes. Still I'm sure they could replace it with timed events for keeping ferrets down trousers or whippet racing for the likes of you Braddock. Why not write and ask?

Given the number of countries competing I didn't realise that dressage was solely for the upper classes. Still I'm sure they could replace it with timed events for keeping ferrets down trousers or whippet racing for the likes of you Braddock. Why not write and ask?

Still persisting in calling me Braddock?

I would be against ferrets down trousers and whippet racing as anything involving animals is unfair as the skill of the animal has an effect on the overall result.

I wasn't aware that only some countries had upper classes.

Removing Wrestling is a horrendous decision, any sport that has a higher achievement in competition should not be included. Tennis, Rugby, Football

The criteria relating to amateur is not correct anymore, look at the money the track and field competitors can get, hardly amateur.

Personally I think any sport that is scored by judges rather than decided by 'first past the post' should be scrapped.

The Olympics is all about track and field for me. If some blokes want to get out there in the middle of the park and fight for a medal, that's great, but make it a proper fight to a knockout or submission. I don't want to see fat blokes in leotards rolling around on the floor, trying to force their head up the other guy's arse, while a bunch of men in suits sit there and award them points.

Guest Norbert

The modern olympics was only amatuer to keep out the plebs, as the founders clearly wanted, just like cricket until the 1930's or whenever it was. Even the ancient olympics was professional, so it is right that the modern games dropped the elitist bar and athletes can earn from their endevours.

Anyway, isn't it sevens rugby that is just joining? There is a world tournament set up for sevens rugby, but the biggest by far is always the Hong Kong round as it has been going since the 70's. I'm not sure just how important the olympics would be.

And Abbey is making think of South Park.

Personally I think any sport that is scored by judges rather than decided by 'first past the post' should be scrapped.

The Olympics is all about track and field for me. If some blokes want to get out there in the middle of the park and fight for a medal, that's great, but make it a proper fight to a knockout or submission. I don't want to see fat blokes in leotards rolling around on the floor, trying to force their head up the other guy's arse, while a bunch of men in suits sit there and award them points.

Absolutely. All judged sports can leave a bad taste. First past the post and marks in the sand are indisputable.

That has to be the most clueless post I've read in years . Just proved you have no idea what Olympic wresting is about .

You would rather watch Ben Johnson or lance Armstrong inject their way to winning.

And Abbey is making think of South Park.

No idea what this is ?

Archived