BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] David Bentley

Bentley is a class signing, I'm well pleased with this. One of the best crossers in the division feeding Rhodes et al has me excited.

I actually met him once and he was a stand up guy, around the time we had Valeri Domovchiyski on trial, I remember because I was asking about him like. He signed a £20 note for me as we'll (one his own). Bit flash maybe but what the hey.

Hope you spent it shortly afterwards. It'd be despeartely sad to think you still have it.

He has another year at spurs it seems like so if we do want him full time I imagine they will try and screw us

Still one step at a time

C'mon Tom dont get in front of yourself... like all the loan signings he's only here in a last ditch attempt to get us up. After that is established one way or the other is for another day to decide.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Skill is permanent as they say.

Brilliant to have Bentley back and Rhodes can finally look forwards to the service he has been needing all season.

Will Bentley make the starting line-up at Arsenal or is the signing too late?

I wouldn't consider him at Arsenal if I were Appleton. In fact I'd field the solid squad players and leave all the quality out. We have much bigger fish to fry than the FA cup. What he does is up to him but the thought of Rhodes and Bentley getting injured would just about signal the end of our promotion hopes.

I genuinely have no idea how you've come to this conclusion, there's quite literally no evidence from the past few years to suggest this is true.

Wages.

Um, why?

Inflation. It wont buy now what it did then. I'd have thought that was obvious.

add him to a long list of players that in hindsight probably wish theyd never left in the first place... hope he does well this time round, he was outstanding at times for us.

Just as an aside and I hope that I am wrong but I'd imagine Bentley is rather less enthusiastic about his return than us .

I just wonder where did it all go wrong for him because when he left us he had England's right side post beckham nailed on for years. Only 28 years old yet somehow hes a bit washed up. Will be interesting to see what he says and how he gets on.

Although I had similar positive feelings about getting rocky back on loan and he was an unmitigated disaster on his return. But if they can get him anything like he will be class...

I think that, with a no-nonsense manager, he'll have to buckle down. Imo [which means I've nothing to back this up], Hughes was the right manager for him at that stage of his career.

It's probably true that he may be less enthusiastic about coming back than we are to have him back; but, hopefully, he'll have matured enough now to see us as a step on his way to rehabilitation.

It all went wrong when he signed for Spurs. Just like Taarabt, Kevin-Prince Boateng, Danny Murphy, Darren Bent, Giovanni Dos Santos, Piennar, Bassong, Kranjcar and Palacios.

You could pull out a list of players bigger than that for players who it went wrong for since leaving Rovers...

Hope you spent it shortly afterwards. It'd be despeartely sad to think you still have it.

C'mon Tom dont get in front of yourself... like all the loan signings he's only here in a last ditch attempt to get us up. After that is established one way or the other is for another day to decide.

I give it to my little cousin a couple of weeks later, God knows where it is now. Should I ask him?

Thought he looked class when he had the ball today. Too many of our players panic in possession and just pump the ball forward. With Murphy and Bentley in the midfield (plus king when he comes back) we will be a far more composed side going forward.

Also trying to get Thomas in before Tuesday who will give us pace and composure.

My instant reaction to the Bentley signing was not to predict how I thought he might perform on his return but how I remember him as the equal (or possibly clear) 2nd best player to have pulled on the famous shirt since Shearer, Bellamy being the best in my opinion, Bentleys consistency in his last 12 months at the club was impressive considering his personality and reputation. One reason why this game is all about good managers.

Now, to my thoughts on his return. He will be replacing Marcus Olsson, or Badwillie, or one of the Portuguese boys, and in that context, it's a stellar signing, trust me.

My instant reaction to the Bentley signing was not to predict how I thought he might perform on his return but how I remember him as the equal (or possibly clear) 2nd best player to have pulled on the famous shirt since Shearer, Bellamy being the best in my opinion, Bentleys consistency in his last 12 months at the club was impressive considering his personality and reputation. One reason why this game is all about good managers.

Oh come on!?! Friedel, Tugay, Duff, Bellamy, Jansen, Roque Santa Cruz, McCarthy, Nelsen, Samba, Jones..... Bentley was very good but we have had plenty who were a cut above him.

BENTLEY DETERMINED TO REPAY ROVERS FAITH

By Dominic Farrell, Press Association Sport

David Bentley wants to win back the affections of Blackburn Rovers fans after returning to the npower Championship club on loan from Tottenham.

Former Arsenal youngster Bentley came off the bench to make his second debut for the Ewood Park outfit at the weekend as Rovers dumped the Gunners out of the FA Cup with a shock 1-0 victory.

Bentley, 28, proved to be a big hit at Rovers first time around after joining from Arsenal in 2005.

He won the first of seven England caps in 2007, but left on a sour note after publicly agitating for a move to Spurs worth £17million pounds in October 2008, something he now admits was a mistake.

``I didn't do it the right way - I was a naive young man and made the wrong decision,'' said the midfielder.

``I thought I was making the right choice but you can't act like that.

``I apologise for the way I went about it because I love being here, I love playing for this club.

``I thank them for what they did for me while I was here and it's good to be back. Hopefully I can replay them by coming back and performing for them.''

Bentley last featured for his parent club in November 2010 and has taken in loan spells with West Ham, Birmingham and Russian outfit Rostov, but insists he does not regret moving to White Hart Lane.

``Sometimes you make decisions, I'm just a young man whose made a mistake in making that decision to move,'' he said

``But it's not a regret, it's a decision I made and I wanted. It just didn't work out.

``It was down to four or five things, a few things. It just didn't work out and I don't think it was anything to do with football.''

He added: ``Someone was willing to pay that fee for me. I never said I was worth that because I wasn't worth that.''

Just seen his interview on SSN - he actually seemed genuine with his regret at moving to spurs, not least the manner in which he did it.

If a move back here doesn't kickstart his career again nothing will.

Not expecting the same player, but looking forward to seeing him fire in a few of those perfect crosses for JR to get on the end of! You don't forget how to cross!

Archived