BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Potential Team

Bendrover

Having recently made the triple loan swoop, in light of the transfer deadline day debacle, of the experienced turntable master DJ Campbell, the new Giovanni Van Bronckhorst in Karim Rekik, and (in Sir Steve McCalren's words) 'The new David Beckham' one Mr Bentley, I have found myself with a new found and now unusual feeling of optimism towards the mighty Rovers. What once seems to have been a sunk ship, almost heading towards back to back relegation judging by the alrarming decline of results, has now been steadied by the bullish Appy with a far more solid and organised side.

Therefore, this left me pondering after our new loan signings, and free transfer acquirement of Williamson, of what our best starting eleven now is with regard to capturing that crucial 4th play-off position, and whether this was achievable. Here is what i believe to be our potentially strongest line-up;

GK - Kean
RB - Orr
CB - Dann
CB - GIvet
LB - Rekik
DM - Lowe
CM - Pedersen
CM - Bentley
LW - Martin Olsson
RW - Campbell
ST - Goal machine

Now, there is much room for alteration in this side as i would play Robinson if he is not leaving for anywhere on loan as i still believe he is better than what i have seen of Kean, even though he does look promising. Also, Murphy has been playing a lot better of late and the young left back may be to inexperienced to go straight in meaning hanley would slot into cb with givet moving to lb, if his head is up for it.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

• Backroom

Kean

Henley Hanley Dann Rekik

Bentley Murphy Williamson olsson

Rhodes Best

Providing Williamson is decent that is what I would like to see with king being an option for either wing and DJ and CKR Options from the bench up front

Appleton clearly seems to favour a straight 4-4-2 and I think our players lend ourselves perfectly to that

At the moment:

Kean

Orr Hanley Dann Rekik

Bentley Murphy Lowe Martin Olsson

Rhodes Campbell

When we have a fully fit squad:

Kean

Orr Hanley Dann Mn Olsson

Bentley Murphy Lowe King

Rhodes Best

I was tempted to put Henley in but Orr has looked solid since returning and also Williamson could be in with a shout of dislodging Lowe.

Forget all the off the pitch stuff for one minute please.

Genuine question here; is Kean as good as (or better) than a 100% fit Robbo?

Also notice no Josh King or Dunny in anybody's preferred XI?

I'd take a fit Dunny over Danny any day.

Unless Dunny gets a good run of games in soon then surely he'll be hanging his boots up...

• Backroom

If only we had this quality XI at the start of the season, we'd have been competing for an automatic spot.

To be fair our start to the season was fine, the players we had were fine for this level it just went horribly wrong under Berg

Kean ahead of Robbo for me - Kean flaps occasionally (like a typical young goalkeeper) but i havn't yet seen a situation where i thought "Robbo would have done better there". In fact a few times i've thought "thank feck that wasn't robbo in goal or that would have gone in". He seems to be gaining confidence and forming a relationship with the defence that was sadly lacking with Robbo (but we also had a twöt for a manager which could explain it)

Dunn is a good "nr 10" but he can't hack midfield anymore and the statementf "a fully fit dunn" is pretty much an oxymoron ;)

Our best 11:

-------------robbo----------------

Orr--Dann--Givet---Olsson

Bentley Murphy Etuhu King

------Best--Rhodes------------

Bench:

kean

Hanley

CKR

MGP

Campbell

Gomes

Williamson / Lowe / Dunn

Our best 11:

-------------robbo----------------

Orr--Dann--Givet---Olsson

Bentley Murphy Etuhu King

------Best--Rhodes------------

Bench:

kean

Hanley

CKR

MGP

Campbell

Gomes

Williamson / Lowe / Dunn

If our best 11 has Etuhu in it we need another loan!

I was just going to say Lowe! At least he has some urgency about him. But I gave the answer earlier-----we need another loan.

Centre-midfield has never been sorted out despite the obvious need and despite a lot of expense on losers

For me there is no comparison, a 100% fit robbo is better than Kean and a very good goalkeeper at that. People seem to forget how good he was for us under Big Sam and i feel Appy could get him playing at that same level again.

I'd pick Kean over Robinson every time. Also a bit puzzled to see so many have Givet in their top 11 as he obviously doesn't want to play for us (or his head isn't in it any more) and is not the player he used to be if reports are to be believed. Hanley and Dann might have their flaws, but not conceding a goal from open play in 5 games....what more could you possibly want?

Picking our best eleven seems to get harder every week and I mean that in a positive way. Right now I'd go with (if fit):

Kean

Henley - Dann - Hanley - Rekik/Martin O.

CKR/King - Murphy - MGP - Olsson (one of them)

Best - Rhodes

With everyone fit and on form:

Kean

Henley - Dann - Hanley - Rekik

Bentley - Murphy - ? - Martin O.

Best - Rhodes

The only position where we are lacking at the moment is a hard working, box-to-box CM. Don't now enough about Williamson but hope he is up to it. For other positions we're actually looking quite good.

Agree with most on here. When fully fit I think we line up:-

---------------------Kean

Henley----Hanley----Dann----Olsson

Bentley---Murphy---Williamson----King

-----------Rhodes---CKR/Best

It's a very strong team for this division. Only real question mark for me is over Williamson as his cover - Lowe - lacks a bit of quality and we don't really know what Williamson is like. If Bentley or King struggle for form we have decent proven cover in CKR, DJ Campbell, the Olsson twins, Pedersen, Nunes.

Very good out wide and up front. Stick a Robbie Savage in there, or a Jermaine Jones, or a David Batty, and we would be looking a very decent proposition. Hard to find quality players in that position however...

Its significant that the manager is still looking for a left-winger. Is King really good enough? Perhaps 'Appy doesn't think so?

It seems like keaning in the wind but this could be solved by signing a left-back (or playing Givet of course) and playing Mn Ollson on the flank. Don't follow why successive managers don't see it that way.

As for Williamson, you've put him in a key position but you accept you don't really know much about him. Isn't he 31? Surely if he were good enough he'd have made it out of the lower leagues by now?

I'd like to think the Murphy/Lowe partnership can blossom. Lowe needs that bit of finesse and needs to think that little bit quicker. I'm positive that will come. So imo, that is our strongest midfield pair. No doubt. I'm a Kean fan. Naive, but it's a position where it's best to run with it and it becomes stronger as a 5. Which it is. Rekik seems to have everyones vote because he's natural in that position, something we havent got in Givet or Olsson. Bentley will give us that all important balance and with proper wide men, this should take some of the pressure of the central mid. I'd stick with Kaz and Rhodes upfront. So i'd go with:

Kean

Orr

Hanley

Dann

Rekik

Bentley

Lowe

Murphy

Olsson (Martin)

Richards

Rhodes

Campbell gives us something different. Best has to come back and uproot Richards. King has to prove his worth along with Olsson. Orr has to play out of his skin to keep Henley out as I believe Henley offers more in that position. Williamson, for me is a utility player, which is why he's been brought in. Solid backup hopefully.

Ricky Lambert has only just made it out of the lower leagues. Black-and-white statements like that aren't really useful. There's variables to consider, like his injury record, plus the fact that he has played in the Prem for Sheff Utd I believe.

There's a list of players who've played for us in the Premiership but they were hopeless.

Ricky Lambert is the exception which proves the rule imo but he no-one is writing Williamson off. Its just very optimistic to put him in our "best eleven".

Archived