BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hull City [Away]; 19th February.

m1st

INTRODUCTION.

In onlyonejackwalker’s excellent preview of the League game at home to Bristol City, he made the point that writing previews is not for the busy, dyslexic, or those with better things to do. Actually, I thought his preview rather disproved his argument, which is why you’re stuck with another verbose preview by this pensioner, who really ought to [and if the late Mrs. m1st were still with us, certainly would] have better things to do with his time.

Hull City are one of the surprise packages of this season’s Championship for me; although they finished 8th in last season’s Championship, I don’t remember them being tipped for success in any previews of this season. So to find them in the play-off places at this stage of the season might cause some re-thinking of my attitude towards Steve Bruce’s abilities as a manager!

This is the 25th season in which the two teams have met in the League and results over the years have gone very much in our favour; we’ve won 27 of the 49 League meetings and only lost 9. In 8 of those 24 seasons, so far, we’ve done the Double over them; something they’ve yet to do to us.

HISTORY.

Hull has a history of being a Rugby League city so it’s perhaps not a surprise to find that Hull City wasn’t formed until 1904. Their first competitive games were in the F.A. Cup Preliminary Round of the 1905/06 FA Cup, which they lost on aggregate 4-7 to Stockton, a team which in the early years of the last Century had a good pedigree in the FA Amateur Cup. In 1905/06, City were accepted into Division Two of the Football League and ended that first season in fifth place.

In the 1909/10 season came as close as possible to promotion to Division One, finishing third, level on points with Oldham Athletic but losing out on goal average, the method of separating teams in those days. [in 1983/84, they were in an even more agonising situation when they missed out promotion from the old Division 3 (League One, these days). They were level with Sheffield United on points and goal difference, but lost out on the last promotion place because the Sheffield club had scored more than the Tigers. What made things the crueller was that Sheffield United’s top scorer, Keith Edwards, had formerly been a “Tiger”.]

The 1909/10 season was their highest-ever finish until they were promoted to the Premier League in 2008, and used to lead to the quiz question [one of two which to feature Hull City], “Which is the largest city with a Football League team never to have been represented in the top division of English football?” [i think the correct answer to that question is now Plymouth Argyle. For the other, sillier, question, see the “Ooda Thowt It?!” Section below.]

City’s greatest achievement in the years after that near miss was to take Arsenal to a replay in the 1929/30 FA Cup Semi-final. Because their League record yo-yoed between the Second Division and Division Three [North], we didn’t play our first League game against them until the 1949/50 season. When we were relegated to Division Two in 1966, we re-joined them but didn’t play them too often in our time in Divisions Two and Three. In the early 1980s, they were relegated to Division 4 [League Two, as we call it today] but re-joined us in Division Two [the Championship] in 1985/86.

Hull City’s fortunes were the opposite of ours as we moved into the Premier League and they sank into Divisions 3 & 4 [as old fogeys like me would call them], having to mix with the likes of our neighbours in claret and blue. In that time, the Boothferry Park ground was sold and they [and Hull FC, the Rugby League Super League side] moved into the new KC Stadium in 2002. And that was where we met them in their first-ever Premier League season in the in 2008/09 season. We played a very small part in their history because their first-ever Premier League away game [i told you it was a very small part!] was played at Ewood in August, 2008. Like many of us, I guess I thought it would be an easy home victory; but, as ever, our beloved Rovers confounded me and the game ended in a 1-1 draw.

The Tigers lasted two seasons in the Premier League and accompanied our neighbours in claret and blue back down to the Championship at the end of the 2009/10 season. We’ve now joined them in the Championship and played them at Ewood in our first home game this season, which we won 1-0.

OO’DA THOWT IT?!

See above; the other quiz question was [and still is!], “Which is the only football club in the top four Divisions whose name contains no letter which can be filled in by someone doodling?”! [i told you it was the sillier of the two questions!]

In the days up to the early-1960s when League games were often played on Christmas Day, Hull City and Grimsby Town both had an official exemption from playing on that day because of the demands of the trawling industry.

Hull City was the first club in the world to be knocked out of a Cup competition on a penalty shoot-out, in the semi-final of the Watney* Cup [a competition for the teams which had scored the most goals in each of the four divisions of the previous season in the Football League but had neither been promoted nor admitted to one of the European competitions] in 1970.

*[Younger readers should not ask about the origin of the word “Watney”; it was a [very] inferior beer.]

COMMON LINKS.

The first name which is likely to occur to any fan of my generation when considering links between the two clubs is Ken Knighton, a fine wing-half-back [a.k.a. midfielder] who played for both clubs in the 1960s]. Two other players of more recent vintage who’ve played for both us and the Tigers are Ben Burgess and Alex Bruce.

Ben never really made it with our Premier League squad at the turn of the century and, after loan spells with Northern Spirit in Sydney and Brentford, joined Stockport County at the end of the 2001/02 season. Stockport loaned him to Oldham Athletic during the 2002/03 season and sold him to Hull City in March, 2003. He remained with the Tigers for three seasons, even though a cruciate ligament injury kept him out of most of the 2004/05 season. He was the first Hull City player to score a hat-trick in their new stadium.

Alex Bruce left us without ever having appeared for the first team, although he did play 6 times for Oldham Athletic on loan while with us. When we released him, he joined Birmingham City, whose manager [as at Hull!] had the same surname as him. Again he went on loan [back to Oldham Athletic, then Sheffield Wednesday and Tranmere Rovers] before rumours of nepotism [i quote Wikipedia!] meant that he left Birmingham City for Ipswich Town on a free transfer. He was with
them for four seasons before “falling out with manager Roy Keane” [Again I quote Wikipedia!]. He was loaned to Leicester City and then sold to Leeds United where he played in the first team
squad for much of the last two seasons. Leeds released him at the end of his contract last season and he joined the Tigers [and re-joined his manager at Birmingham City] at the start of this season.

OPPONENTS’ OPINION.

I was lucky at the start of this season; any temptation to go to the first game of the season at Ipswich was knocked on the head when I was invited to the wedding of the daughter of two old friends that day. She was marrying a lad from Hull and I asked him if he’d answer the following questions. Because he’s now exiled in London, he forwarded them to his Dad. So thanks a lot Mr H; especially for your last sentiment!

When Steve Bruce succeeded Nick Barmby as manager in the close season, were expectations high about promotion/the play-offs?

“Not expectations perhaps, but hopes certainly. Though Barmby was well liked, there was a feeling that he lacked experience. Bruce came in with a good CV. He said there were 18 clubs in this division who all thought they would be at least in the play-offs, and we were one of them (as were Blackburn of course).”

No disrespect to Hull City [honest!], but there aren't many well-known names in your squad; who should we be watching out for as Danger men?

“Sone Aluko is probably as near to a danger man as we get. We have a good team. Koren, Elmohamady, Meyler, Quinn and Brady are all class players who can score from midfield, and the back three are solid, whichever three play."

And who in our squad [if any!] would you see as our Danger men?

“Had to visit Wikipedia to see who your guys were. Murphy perhaps? You must have an office in Portugal! Jordan Rhodes is the sort of player too that we've been missing since Fryatt has been injured. Guaranteed goals at this level.”

I think I read that you've got quite a few loan players; if you get promoted at the end of this season, how do you think this squad would cope with the Premier League?

“True. Bruce seems to play the loan system very well. We have a big squad including loanees, with several others out on loan. We firmed up two in January, and will no doubt finalise at least one more (Elmo) in the summer. But we would struggle in the PL I think. Our teamwork would save us from total humiliation, but we need a top class striker and a playmaker for the centre of the park. We’re not consistent enough. especially at home.”

And whether or not you're optimistic about that, do the fans know if there'll be any money to strengthen the squad if you go up?

“We have a good chairman and manager, so perhaps. The DJ Campbell money is still available at least. The chairman was vilified when he sacked Barmby, but he’s won the fans round with his chequebook.

“On a personal note, I like Blackburn Rovers. They are a great old club with a great history. They are one of only five clubs to win the PL. The year they won, I was rooting for them. They played terrific football, and Shearer was magnificent. Rovers should be in the first division (whatever it may be called!). Let’s go up together.”

WHERE TO HAVE A DRINK.

This is adapted from the Hull City page on www.footballgroundguide.com

'The Brickmakers pub virtually opposite the stadium car park entrance allows in away fans. It has a good atmosphere and the Hull fans there were friendly. It also has a big screen showing Sky Sports and a burger van outside'.

'There is also the nearby Walton Street Social Club that also admits away supporters. Although it costs £1 to go in, it has good cheap beer, is of a good size and offers a separate area for sale of food such as burgers and chips etc. ... Turn right out of the main car park entrance and it is down the road on the left hand side.

‘There are a number of other pubs within a few minutes walk of the stadium, but these are all designated as being for home supporters only. Most Hull fans still seem to be heading for pubs situated around Boothferry Park. These are best avoided by away fans, particularly
the Silver Cod pub.

‘Otherwise you can head for the nearby City Centre, where there are plenty of pubs to be found, including the 'Linnet & Lark' on Princes Avenue.

It has lots of TVs showing Sky Sports, making it perfect to watch the early or late kick off games. It is a 15 minute walk away from the stadium, going across the pedestrian footbridge over the railway line. Also there are a number of other bars dotted along Princes Avenue, which should be okay for away fans to drink in. These include PAVE, which has a great selection of beers from all around the world and quality food. Look out for their "matchday special" pint, pie, peas and mash for just £6.

There is ample parking in the streets off the avenue. Closer to the stadium around a 15 minute walk up Walton Street, is the Avenues pub on Chanterlands Avenue, that welcomes both home and away supporters.'

‘Otherwise alcohol, Carling & Marstons are served within the stadium at £3.20 per pint. However for some high profile matches, the club do not provide alcohol to away supporters.’

Personally, I can’t imagine Hull v. Rovers on a Tuesday night in February being seen as a high profile game!

CURRENT FORM.

Their manager blamed the ‘curse of the “Manager of the Month” ' award [he got it in December] for them not doing better in January. They have a good recent record [3 wins, 1 draw & 2 defeats in their last six League games] and, at the moment, look as they’re going to be fighting Leicester City for the other automatic promotion place with Cardiff City.

As for us, we’ve picked up one point fewer than them in the last 6 League games [2 wins, 3 draws the defeat by Charlton] and, while not to have conceded any goals from open play in the last 6 League and Cup games [would have seemed an unbelievable “stat” earlier this season!], our big problems are: the ground we’ve got to make up on the teams above us because of mis-management earlier this season; and our goal difference, which is significantly worse than any of the teams above us, apart from Middlesbrough.

TUESDAY’S GAME.

This is our second away “six-pointer” on the trot and, despite what Mr H. said after his replies to my questions, not even I, as a totally “glass-half-full fan” expect us to get automatic promotion this season!

Despite the disappointment of not bringing all three points back from Brighton last Tuesday, we’ve shown that [so long as we get referees who aren’t intimidated by the home crowd] we’re now a match for teams in the promotion melting pot. And can beat teams in the top half of the Premier League!!

Hull were one of three teams above us in the table who won their Championship game on Saturday and Palace helped us by beating Middlesbrough 4-1. Hull’s win means that they’re presently in 2nd position in the table [although they’ve played one game more than us and two more than Leicester], while Middlesbrough’s defeat means that they might be catch-able. So both teams have a lot to play for.

Having proved that we can defend against Premier League teams [who give you less time on the ball than Championship teams], and having gone 6 games without conceding a goal from open play, I expect a tight game. However, having always been a “glass-half-full” fan, I couldn’t not hope for a similar result to last Saturday’s at The Emirates.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's amazing how many oppo fans know jack-**** about our team.

Hah - thought that as well when I read the preview.

Great preview, m1st - really enjoyed reading it. As for the match itself, which I'd claim is one of the hardest of our remaining fixtures, I'd be happy with a scrappy draw.

Today was pleasing but who would not swap that for victory over Hull ?

I'll be greedy - I want both but am realistic.

Hull 2-1.

At least Hull will be worrying about us though. It's a nice position to be in.

There's always one team on the Championship who finds an amazing run of form - let's hope it continues to be us.

There's always one team on the Championship who finds an amazing run of form - let's hope it continues to be us.

I think most teams above us will be concerned now, with the exception of Cardiff.

Didn't we sell Ken Knighton to Hull when we were down and out in the early 1970's ? We were struggling with a relegation battle in the old Div. 2 and Hull were flying. Knighton was the captain and shining light of a pretty poor team, he was a bit in the style of that J Jones we had on loan a year or two ago, an aggressive ball winner who drove the team on. I remember opening the paper and seeing the story that he'd been sold in spite of him being happy at Rovers. I thought then " That's it Div . 3 here we come ".

At the moment that team's Barnsley - won 7 and drawn 1 out of their last 8 according to my paper.

Sorry I know I'm on the wrong thread....I want to purchase tickets for Leeds united game next week, the one .rovers website saying only available to season ticket holders. Is that right? Sounds crazy, we not exactly going to sell out are we...help?

That always happens to me as well. Never able to buy tickets online. Give the ticket office a ring and they'll be able to sort some tickets out over the phone.

Sorry I know I'm on the wrong thread....I want to purchase tickets for Leeds united game next week, the one .rovers website saying only available to season ticket holders. Is that right? Sounds crazy, we not exactly going to sell out are we...help?

I don't know about this [and you're right; you are on the wrong thread; why not start your own?], but when I wanted two tickets for the Wolves game @ home earlier this season, I found that, although I didn't renew my season ticket, I'm still on the Ticket Office database.

So, presumably, you will be, too.

Which gives me heart for getting my Cup Final ticket! ;)

good preview M1st, first name I think of when Rovers / Hull are mentioned is David Mail, If I'm remembering rightly left Rovers just after his wife sadly died and went to Hull late 80's early 90's ?, was a pretty consistent player for us for a few years.

Has others have said sure DJ will be fired up for this, will be happy with a smash and grab draw from this one

good preview M1st, first name I think of when Rovers / Hull are mentioned is David Mail, If I'm remembering rightly left Rovers just after his wife sadly died and went to Hull late 80's early 90's ?, was a pretty consistent player for us for a few years.

Has others have said sure DJ will be fired up for this, will be happy with a smash and grab draw from this one

Of course!! Thanks for that, pb02; I'd completely forgotten about our link through him with them.

Will be interesting to see what formation we play in this game as city are still playing a variation of 3-5-2

Can't see us changing a winning formula.

If we play our normal game then Olsson overlapping a winger on the left should expose the weakness of a 3-5-2 formation.

Archived