BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hull City [Away]; 19th February.

m1st

Feeling guilty about going off topic, so here's my take on the Hull game.

If they beat us, ( if we haven't already), we can finally say goodbye to automatic promotion.

If we win that will send a serious message to all other play-off contenders.

If we draw that's a satisfactory result for both teams.

So my prediction is 0-0 or 1-1.

If it's 0-0 at half time, there's a good chance we won't lose.

It'll be interesting to see what effect the win against Arsenal has. It could spur us on or could be something of an anti-climax and we get stuffed.

No - don't feel bad - I'm interested - what did actually happen with '60 cup final tickets? I've heard it mentioned lots of times, but I don't know the whole story. I was born in '74, I don't have much family from Blackburn and now (like you) I live a long, long way away.

Cheers.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No - don't feel bad - I'm interested - what did actually happen with '60 cup final tickets? I've heard it mentioned lots of times, but I don't know the whole story. I was born in '74, I don't have much family from Blackburn and now (like you) I live a long, long way away.

Cheers.

Rovers were allocated 35,000 tickets for the Final (some say 30,000) and the players and officials of the club were supposedly given additional personal allowances each, but although the numbers were never officially released, rumours ran rife that players had got around 50 to 200 each. These figures were never confirmed.

So when the remainder were supposedly put on public sale the club asked all supporters to apply by post stating how many tickets they wanted. Some time went by with apparently nothing happening and gradually people began to get impatient/nervous. The situation as being discussed in work places, shops and pubs etc was that almost nobody knew anybody who had actually been allocated any tickets. Eventually tickets did begin to trickle out and after a time the club and the press announced that all tickets had been allocated. This shortly led to a growing nervousness becoming anger and frustration on a grand scale as people were able to find out by asking around that many 100's (possibly1000's) of applicants had had not been allocated any tickets, and this grew into a massive public outcry and questions being asked in the press etc as to what had happened to the 30,000 tickets.

My own immediate circle of family, friends, and workmates (approx 40+) revealed that not one had got a single ticket, although ALL these people were die-hard fans and never missed a home match. As the news spread round the town it became clear that of all the people that applied only a relatively small percentage had actually got tickets allocated by the club officially, although some had got tickets on the black-market, or from players that they knew. But these people in total did not amount to anywhere near 30,000 or even 10,000 (or so it was alleged and discussed around). Naturally this led to a massive public outcry and lifelong fans swearing that they would never set foot inside Ewood again. And 1000's kept to that resolve ever after.

Rovers were allocated 35,000 tickets for the Final (some say 30,000) and the players and officials of the club were supposedly given additional personal allowances each, but although the numbers were never officially released, rumours ran rife that players had got around 50 to 200 each. These figures were never confirmed.

So when the remainder were supposedly put on public sale the club asked all supporters to apply by post stating how many tickets they wanted. Some time went by with apparently nothing happening and gradually people began to get impatient/nervous. The situation as being discussed in work places, shops and pubs etc was that almost nobody knew anybody who had actually been allocated any tickets. Eventually tickets did begin to trickle out and after a time the club and the press announced that all tickets had been allocated. This shortly led to a growing nervousness becoming anger and frustration on a grand scale as people were able to find out by asking around that many 100's (possibly1000's) of applicants had had not been allocated any tickets, and this grew into a massive public outcry and questions being asked in the press etc as to what had happened to the 30,000 tickets.

My own immediate circle of family, friends, and workmates (approx 40+) revealed that not one had got a single ticket, although ALL these people were die-hard fans and never missed a home match. As the news spread round the town it became clear that of all the people that applied only a relatively small percentage had actually got tickets allocated by the club officially, although some had got tickets on the black-market, or from players that they knew. But these people in total did not amount to anywhere near 30,000 or even 10,000 (or so it was alleged and discussed around). Naturally this led to a massive public outcry and lifelong fans swearing that they would never set foot inside Ewood again. And 1000's kept to that resolve ever after.

Thanks Fife, but who was in the Rovers end on the day of the final then? Was it just hangers on of the players, or empty spaces, or faceless people not supporting Rovers?

Thanks Fife, but who was in the Rovers end on the day of the final then? Was it just hangers on of the players, or empty spaces, or faceless people not supporting Rovers?

Nah, without wishing to contradict Fife at all, our end was totally populated.

There were 25,000 tickets issued to Rovers but only aprox 10,000 were sold via the appropriate channels. The remainder were bought on the black Market, via players or club representatives at a huge Mark up. Those that couldn't afford the inflated prices, or were unfortunate in the clubs ticket lottery, couldn't go.

As a consequence there were a lot of unhappy supporters, those that couldn't afford the black Market tickets or have the contacts to get them and those that did but paid over the odds in desperation to watch the match.

The players and club representatives were rightly seen as profiteering, greedy @#/?s.

To add insult to injury, Derek Dougan, the centre forward at the time, made it common knowledge that on the eve of the final he'd handed in a transfer request.

As Fife said, all this left a nasty taste in the mouth of many who vowed never to set foot in Ewood again and thousands never did.

Different circumstances admittedly but doesn't it sound familiar?

I worked with some of those Rovers fans in the mid-late seventies and they still would not go, some were still even incredibly bitter towards Rovers. Some still followed our results with a warm fondness but there was nothing you could do to get them back on the terraces, these were once long standing Rovers fans.

I'd like to see:

Kean

Orr

Dannley

Rekik

Bentley

Lowe

Murphy

Olsson

Rhodes

Richards

But I don't think Appy will change it that much from Saturday. Will probably still use the twins. Can Williamson keep out Murphy? Its on the cards. Here's hoping for a momentum mounting win. Great to be able to make 4 or 5 changes and still have proper shape and balance.

I'd like to see:

Kean

Orr

Dannley

Rekik

Bentley

Lowe

Murphy

Olsson

Rhodes

Richards

But I don't think Appy will change it that much from Saturday. Will probably still use the twins. Can Williamson keep out Murphy? Its on the cards. Here's hoping for a momentum mounting win. Great to be able to make 4 or 5 changes and still have proper shape and balance.

Just shows how much Appy has already improved the balance of the squad, sorting out the correct positions but also impressively on early impressions he has got in the right players as well. His ethos in terms of setting up his team reminds me of George Graham quite apt considering how we played against Arsenal - maybe it explains why Martin Keown was quite complimentary.

I can't envisage many changes, Appleton seems to prefer a 'why change the winning formula' sort of team selection policy instead of a rotation one. It's the way it should be imo, only make changes when they have to be made.

Hull are in some very decent form and should be favorites to get the win. If we can get a draw that would be a good result, though if we have any serious aspirations of getting into the playoffs this season I think we have to win it. If we win and Boro lose then the gap will be down to only three points and we would still have a game in hand.

I'd like to see:

Kean

Orr

Dannley

Rekik

Bentley

Lowe

Murphy

Olsson

Rhodes

Richards

Think we should play with 11 HR ;)

Given we've been on a good run for a while it may just be a less convincing display because of the long run we've been on, not simply because it's followed the Arsenal game. We are due a bad performance, they do happen and I'd possibly rather have the off game against Hull, rather than Leeds, Burnley or Leicester, who we'll be playing soon.

Obviously I don't want it to happen against anybody, but bad performances do happen.

Archived