BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Paul Ince next Blackpool manager

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair to WIlliams, the reason we went for Ince was that his first choice, Allardyce, was unpopular with many of our fans. There seemed to be some kind of Facebook group or something I recall.

Unfortunately, he caved in and went for an untried manager who, nevertheless, had been very impressive at two clubs in League Two.

Would things have been different if we hadn´t wasted so much money employing/sacking Ince and having to live with his transfer decisions for years? Would someone other than Venkys bought us? Who knows.

To be fair to WIlliams, the reason we went for Ince was that his first choice, Allardyce, was unpopular with many of our fans. There seemed to be some kind of Facebook group or something I recall.

Unfortunately, he caved in and went for an untried manager who, nevertheless, had been very impressive at two clubs in League Two..

Wasn't Laudrup a strong contender as well? I'm sure it's been written that we chose Ince over him.

Even allowing for the Allardyce thing, it's something I can never forgive Williams for. I don't know how anyone could spend more than a few minutes talking to Paul "y'know" Ince and think anything other than the man is a baffoon. We all saw it the first time he opened his mouth, why didn't Williams?

There's a very good reason that PL clubs don't look to League Two for their managers - let alone one that wasn't even bothered about getting his coaching badges. I don't know what on earth possessed Williams to do it.

Guest Norbert

At the time, I think Laudrup wanted a clause so he could shoot off to Spain on the cheap. Or so the story went. I think that Henk Ten Cate was a name mentioned as well. Looking back Laudrup (if that clause was a lie) and Big Sam were the obvious candidates, but many people hated the latter a lot.

JW's first choice was Shearer.

• Backroom

Hiring Ince was one of JW's worst ever decisions and completely indefensible. If a facebook group had any bearing on the decision then that is shameful.

Thankfully he made things right with the appointment of Big Sam.

Ince was obviously a disastrous appointment, no getting away from that. As for Shearer...as in the case of Berg, ex-players are appointed to supposedly please the fans rather than because of their ability. I can´t really envisage Shearer as having been a success as being a good manager requires very different skills than those of being a great player. Wenger studied Economics, and used that approach to great success, and the main reason he isn´t so successful now is that everybody caught on and copied his approach.

These days, the majority of the best ex-players (especially in England) are probably ill-suited to management principally because they were great players. If they were great players, they often don´t bother with anything but playing football. Managers need brains, understanding of complex tactics etc these days. Did Benitez ever play at a decent level? Mourinho? Villas Boas? Pulis? Even the likes of Allardyce and Redknapp were no stars like Ince or Shearer were.

The top managers these days had time to get an education and therefore have more talents than just to say "show us your medals". There are no British/Irish mangers in the Prem that had great playing success, except perhaps Martin O´Neill, who didn´t let his education suffer. The rest were either ok players, not stars, and so had to re-learn skills or quality foreign players like Laudrup or Mancini, who can express themselves far better in English than Ince ever could.

Too many players know how to play well, but can´t teach. I think it was Glenn Hoddle who used to knock wonderful balls around in training, to show how good he was, but that isn´t the same as coaching someone else so as to be able to do it.

At the time, I think Laudrup wanted a clause so he could shoot off to Spain on the cheap. Or so the story went. I think that Henk Ten Cate was a name mentioned as well. Looking back Laudrup (if that clause was a lie) and Big Sam were the obvious candidates, but many people hated the latter a lot.

At the time I heard it was because he wanted a clause saying that if a top 3 team in Spain wanted to talk to him, we'd have to let them.

Williams made a mistake; I bet the fans moaning about Sam also moaned as he guided us to safety then a top half finish.

The key to a good chairman is rectifying mistakes and he did. He knew how much time was too much and acted accordingly, bringing in a replacement of supreme quality.

I can forgive him as he more than made up for it.

Yea if it was true, I figured that Williams was hesitant to employ another manager who would be quick to leave if they were doing a good job, so he'd prefer a long-term option.

Then again, he'd have to be doing a good enough job that Real Madrid, Barca or Valencia would have wanted him so....yea not a very smart decision imo, if that's what really happened.

He went for Ince, it was a bad choice, but he corrected it in time. As he had gone for Souness and Hughes before him, and Allardyce after, I think that he had a good overall record if you consider that. The comments about the decision being unforgivable are over-the-top and melodramatic. He made a decision that he thought would be the best for the club but that didn´t work out, and that is "indefensible"? Even after rectifying it?

Allardyce was the obvious choice. He had Prem experience at a very similar club to ours, and had taken them into the top half. Laudrup would have been a gamble. It could well have paid off like at Swansea, but Allardyce was the safest option.

• Backroom

He went for Ince, it was a bad choice, but he corrected it in time. As he had gone for Souness and Hughes before him, and Allardyce after, I think that he had a good overall record if you consider that. The comments about the decision being unforgivable are over-the-top and melodramatic. He made a decision that he thought would be the best for the club but that didn´t work out, and that is "indefensible"? Even after rectifying it?

Yes, it is indefensible when you look at the other options that were available to us. Saying it's unforgivable is totally different though, so I will assume you're not grouping both comments in the same category. Williams made up for his mistake by hiring Allardyce, hence he is forgiven. Still doesn't make the original hiring of Ince in any way defendable though.

• Backroom

There would be more of a case for it being unforgivable if he'd kept Ince on and we'd got relegated and suffered terminal decline, but he appointed the right man after Ince and we enjoyed some good success under Allardyce before Venky's came in and shat on everything. As you pointed out, JW made good hirings before Ince so I guess that summer we hired Ince and nearly took on Shearer he must have been experimenting with some kind of drug(s) which by winter time had worn off.

Would things have been different if we hadn´t wasted so much money employing/sacking Ince and having to live with his transfer decisions for years? Would someone other than Venkys bought us? Who knows.

The stuff of nightmares.

Unfortunately, he caved in and went for an untried manager who, nevertheless, had been very impressive at two clubs in League Two.

What happened to the club since John Williams failed to follow the courage of his convictions and caved in to a load of clueless facebook warriors is the stuff of nightmares. Prob half of them were Notlob and Burnley supporters anyway.

He went for Ince, it was a bad choice, but he corrected it in time.

No he didn't. I said at the time he was appointed that Ince wouldn't be in the job long enough to put the clock back in his office. He went on to lose another 7 games before JW plucked up the courage to admit his mistake and bin him.

Archived