BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Scott Dann

Philly13

So there's been a couple threads started on players, and I feel like it would be a disservice to Dann not to talk about him. I just rewatched the game on Foxsoccer, and realized how good he was. He cut out everything that came near him, block several shots including a Giroud stoppage time effort off the line, and he was just fantastic in every way. Every game I've watched,(granted they've been limited due to a lack of televised matches) he has been very good, and Cryer claims that he's been maybe our best player.

So my question is, has he changed your mind about him after his poor performances last year?

Yet another example of why I rubbished the "players aren't good enough" argument when Kean and Berg were managing. Not saying our players were good enough to storm the division a la Newcastle a few years ago but they were easily good enough for the play offs but for some appalling management.

Dann is a classic case of this; he'd had a good record in the PL and there was no reason why he should've done so poorly except for the management, it's not even like he had such a track record of a poor attitude etc.

Appleton has made a few astute looking loans of late but the nucleus of the side which has done so well recently has been players who have been around all season.

Yet another example of why I rubbished the "players aren't good enough" argument when Kean and Berg were managing. Not saying our players were good enough to storm the division a la Newcastle a few years ago but they were easily good enough for the play offs but for some appalling management.

Dann is a classic case of this; he'd had a good record in the PL and there was no reason why he should've done so poorly except for the management, it's not even like he had such a track record of a poor attitude etc.

Appleton has made a few astute looking loans of late but the nucleus of the side which has done so well recently has been players who have been around all season.

+1

The ineptness of Kean took us to the Championship.

A club in our precarious position was never able to give a new manager his chance to learn the ropes.

The end result was bad tactics, clueless organisation, lack of fitness and disillusioned players. Anyone who was able to left! Some of whom were blamed for leaving!!

I think now is the time to judge all our players. It really hasn't been fair to judge most of them, especially our defenders, before Appleton took over. He has turned us back into a tight unit, a hard working team and always fields a balanced 11 that ensures our defenders gets the support they need and deserve all the way from midfield and even our strikers. Dann played exceptionally well yesterday, and so did Hanley. With the confidence the team is building by putting together a run of good results I think we'll end up in the top six come the end of the season - and Dann will play a major part in that achievement.

He got relegated.

Seven teams conceded more than them the year they went down. Keeping out goals wasn't the problem.

He also missed the 2nd half of the season. Where they were dragged into a relegation battle.

I'd worry if we ever got promoted and Dann remained at CB, but for the Championship he's OK. Same goes for Hanley really.

Hanley is young and performed well under Kean in the 2nd half of last season.

• Backroom

I don't rate him. He's slow, cumbersome and has a poor touch. He's decent in the air despite having a limited jump but that is all. He will not ever make a good Premier League defender in my opinion.

I think the defence as a unit have been superb since the arrival of Appleton.

I include Jason Lowe in that as an enforcer sat in front of the back four, a player who deserves more credit than criticism in that role IMO.

Something that is rarely mentioned is the organisational ability of the goalkeeper. Jake Kean is much more vociferous than Robbo in telling the defenders where they should be and his continuous talking can only improve confidence of those in front of him.

There were quite a few occasions in the Arsenal gamewhere Kean didn't seem to be talking to his defenders.This resulted in the defenders not letting the ball go out for a goal kick for example.

Only a minor criticism though given his overall display.

I've seen Kean many times down Leyland and Leigh and he is a decent talker.

Just been reading the Dann thread in the Transfer section. You really are a fool.

I'm a fool? You, you just called me a fool.

Why because I said things in there like "he is clearly one of them CB's who need the right partner next to him so if he is allowed to develop a partnership with Givet, he might be alright for us."

I said the chances of him coming good in the C'ship were slim but that was mostly based on his complete inability to win headers for us. Now that he's seemingly remembered how to do that, then I'm not surprised he's been playing well recently.

Haven't seen enough of him recently to give an informed opinion but I'd imagine there's still elements of his game that people aren't happy with.

I don't rate him. He's slow, cumbersome and has a poor touch. He's decent in the air despite having a limited jump but that is all. He will not ever make a good Premier League defender in my opinion.

I think that is also a pretty decent description of Hanley as well. However, it will be interesting to see how both develop under Appleton and his coaches who were defenders when players.

Archived