BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Lee Williamson

LeChuck

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

who did souness sign to get us promoted last time? were they all players from the premier league, or were they mostly players proven to be top performers at this level?

Back then they were of a far higher quality than we have now Friedel, Gillespie, Short, Hignet, Berkovic, then he brought Berg back and had Dunn, Duff, and Jansen, just to name a few, by far, higher quality players than we have today.

As it currently stands at the club theres absolutely no chance of going up, and the truth is, its looking more likely its another relegation battle but theres time for new recruits to turn this mess around. Though with Venkys and the agents track record there seems very slim chance of this happening.

Is this going to get the team promoted this season Patrick.

I'm not sure what your point is Jal. I don't expect us to get promoted for years. How can we even contemplate it when we're just a twisted and gnarled version of the club who achieved that feat in 99? Williamson is deserving of an extended contract because he was better than most in his position last season. By default that should mean we look to keep him and shift the players who failed to out do him in terms of performance. That is how the playing staff hopefully improves over time is it not? By keeping the better performers and shifting the crap ones. I realise rovers have no time in which to build a squad capable of mounting a challenge whilst we hemorrhage £2 m per month. But imo the mess created by our loving owners runs so deep that even thinking of promotion this season is worthy of a spell in the loony bin. The concept is way way out there. I hope GB proves me wrong of course. But if he does then id be gobsmacked. I like the man and felt he deserved his chance but imo he's on a hiding to nothing.

Tell me about Mark Atkins, Alan Wright and Chris Price (first time around)

Where did they come from?

Good young lads progressing up the football ladder and what we have here is an injury prone 31 year old.

• Backroom

Good young lads progressing up the football ladder and what we have here is an injury prone 31 year old.

Who outshone the other players in his role.....

As mentioned above, surely the aim should be to keep the players who do their job best and try to shift or improve on the crapper ones?

Etuhu should go before Williamson. Or do you think we should get rid of the one midfielder that harasses the opposition and puts tackles in?

Who outshone the other players in his role.....

As mentioned above, surely the aim should be to keep the players who do their job best and try to shift or improve on the crapper ones?

Etuhu should go before Williamson. Or do you think we should get rid of the one midfielder that harasses the opposition and puts tackles in?

Simply asking is he good enough to get the team out of this league, thats all, thats the target isnt it, or is it not. If its not then i'm mistaken and accept that.

• Backroom

Simply asking is he good enough to get the team out of this league, thats all, thats the target isnt it, or is it not. If its not then i'm mistaken and accept that.

He may be, he may not be. But HE won't get us out of this league. That's the job of the team. And the team has other positions that need strengthening ahead of CDM. Even so, you'd be better targeting Etuhu before Williamson.

You've done nothing but bitch and moan about the 'young lads progressing up the football ladder' that we have signed so far this close season.

You've done nothing but bitch and moan about the 'young lads progressing up the football ladder' that we have signed so far this close season.

I'm a big Todd Kane fan, along with Hanley and Henley aswell as Jordan Rhodes suppose its some you see some you dont and as for Martin Olsson would love to see him play further forward rather than be flogged for cash to be distributed amongst the owners club.

Oh, and Jake Kean for number one spot there you go.

Even think that Goodwillie would be OK for Gary Bowyer and his team for this league.

Theres most of the positives though it still isnt enough for Rovers to gain promotion and that has to be the objective.

Tell me about Mark Atkins, Alan Wright and Chris Price (first time around)

Where did they come from?

Price rejoined from top flight Villa ;)

How many games did Williamson actually play in? 9 wasn't it? Hardly enough to claim he's amazing

I'm a big Todd Kane fan, along with Hanley and Henley aswell as Jordan Rhodes suppose its some you see some you dont and as for Martin Olsson would love to see him play further forward rather than be flogged for cash to be distributed amongst the owners club.

Oh, and Jake Kean for number one spot there you go.

Even think that Goodwillie would be OK for Gary Bowyer and his team for this league.

Theres most of the positives though it still isnt enough for Rovers to gain promotion and that has to be the objective.

Question we all need to ask is how many of our current squad plus any new signings would have got anywhere near the last team we had to win promotion from this Div.

Question we all need to ask is how many of our current squad plus any new signings would have got anywhere near the last team we had to win promotion from this Div.

Not many sadly. Difference is that, at that time, Jack Walker then his immediate legacy financed a quickish return back. Now we have to make do with what we have and what is available on the cheap.

Whys that a question we all need to ask?

Times have changed, football has changed, brfc finances have definitely changed(long before venkys arrived)

Cos the posts on the previous page were including promotion. Try reading a little slower TJ.

Surely a more apt question is how many of our current squad plus any new signings would have got anywhere near the Cardiff, Palace and Hull teams that went up last season? They're a far better barometer of what is needed to get promoted than our team from more than a decade ago.

• Backroom

Price rejoined from top flight Villa ;)

How many games did Williamson actually play in? 9 wasn't it? Hardly enough to claim he's amazing

Amazing? No. Consistently better than anything else we had in that position over 9 games? Yep.

It seemed ok to judge Jermaine Jones after only 15 games. Not that big a leap from 9.

It's a massive jump and 66% IN THE REAL WORLD

:blink:icon_lol.gifdoh.gif

Though we digress a little. I was meerly implying that the midfield bar has been set so low for so long that any improvement could be jumped on and blown out of proportion. So let's give him a run of at least half a season (injury free....possibly) before claiming him as some midfield demigod

• Backroom

It's a massive jump and 66% IN THE REAL WORLD :blink:icon_lol.gifdoh.gif%5DThoughThough we digress a little. I was meerly implying that the midfield bar has been set so low for so long that any improvement could be jumped on and blown out of proportion. So let's give him a run of at least half a season (injury free....possibly) before claiming him as some midfield demigod

I agree in all honesty. But I do believe from what I've seen that while he's no Makelele, I think he's good for us at this level.

9 games ain't much. But it's what we've got to go off and imo he's played at least at a 7/10 standard every game with a couple of higher standard games.

Archived