BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] PREVIEW : Rovers vs Leeds Utd - Saturday Feb 23rd 3.00pm

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Really intense combative game lacking in quality.

Both sets of defenders really good and all strikers on show really poor with them running the midfield due to having energy

Rhodes had 3 good chances, two he missed the target and the third he should have gone accross goal, not good enough from him but his strike partner was less effective

Bentley clearly has the class still but tried too much at times

Jake Kean for all his heroics of late looked nervey and his kicking was appalling (and that's being kind)

We know the seasons over but I hope we can finish steady and sort this midfield in summer as until we can control games we can't have a sustained run of form

And I can't undertsand why we bother to have subs. Appleton only uses them if someone gets injured.

It honestly is ridiculous. You could understand it if we were spanking teams but we've been lacklustre at home all season, so why not freshen up when we're doing nothing all match? Seems that some have the Appleton blinkers on so only a few find it strange.

We're crying out for someone like Thomas on the left wing. I hope that we can make that deal happen.

Getting King back would be helpful as well. He can offer something different.

Not sure that we can play Kazim-Richards in the same team as Campbell.

We're doing a lot better defensively under Appleton but if only we could find that spark further up the pitch...

I think it's a good base for us to launch our promotion campaign next season. I don't think we can be too harsh on Appleton given the mess he's inherited but the one thing we all wanted to see was our defence shore up, and that's what he's been doing so far.

That's what my Blackpool-supporting friends told me he did in his brief time with them.

Appleton is very conservative in his substitutions, which can be very frustrating, especially at home. When he came in he got rid of a lot of the creative players we had. He said that we had a number of players who all played in the same position, which was fair enough. But to get rid of all of them seemed a bit much to me at the time. We don't have anyone on the bench who can come on and do something different and open the game up. Appleton has made us solid at the back which was desperately needed, but this has sacrificed the attacking game in may ways. Then again, he's come in and inherited a total mess and can only do so much. But a few more attacking subs would nice one in a while!

Sometimes I wonder if he really wants to win games or just consolidate the team defensevely.

I understand he prefers the players he brought in but, if the team isn't playing that well, maybe some of those who were already in the team, can make a diference

Draw probably fair in the end.

I went today with someone who hadn't been since bolton in november and he thought seen the game several times this season under various managers. No movement. Poor passing. Long high balls and literally not winning a header. Had to work hard just to keep possession in our own half. But because of their high intensity on your face style once they tired did ok in last 10.

Though Hanley and dann did very well though.

Murphy is still turd. He seems to want to play in the mould of tugay without a tenth of the ability. In fact I'd have tugay as he is now over him. Plus the fact his midfield partner has to do both murphys and his own running wouldn't have him anywhere near pitch.

If dj campbell is the question don't know what the answer is. How He lasted 90 mins I don't know. Nuno gomes surely worth a punt.

Poor game too be honest. DJ should of been replaced in the second half as he looked poor all game. Gomes or even Goodwillie should of come on for him. No creativity in the centre of midfield which has been our downfall all season. Tough game at Leicester on Tuesday and if we lose there the play-offs are well and truly out of sight.

Appleton is what we have been landed with. We ain't going up. Now down to the dark lords as to whether they stay and want PL footy, in which case it's hand in deep pocket time, or they are bored and either get rid, or accept the Championship is where we are going to languish.

Appleton has made us hard to beat, but we desperately need a heart beat - Murphy, Lowe need defibrillators! Bentley still thinks he's gods gift, but he had some nice flashes which took me back, tear in eye, to the wonder days.

Hanley MOM by a long way. First 10 mins he threw himself for the cause. Kean had a kicking nightmare. City lad did ok at left back.

Leeds looked hungrier than we did. Nice to see a fuller Ewood. For all their faults, Leeds fans were impressive (pains me to say).

Hope we win the rugby!

Martin Olsson out for 4-6 weeks. There goes our pace.

He's not Olsson quick but Henley is back and he's no slouch, he did a good job at left back last season too. I can see Appleton using Rekik there though

Appleton is what we have been landed with. We ain't going up. Now down to the dark lords as to whether they stay and want PL footy, in which case it's hand in deep pocket time, or they are bored and either get rid, or accept the Championship is where we are going to languish.

Appleton has made us hard to beat, but we desperately need a heart beat - Murphy, Lowe need defibrillators! Bentley still thinks he's gods gift, but he had some nice flashes which took me back, tear in eye, to the wonder days.

Hanley MOM by a long way. First 10 mins he threw himself for the cause. Kean had a kicking nightmare. City lad did ok at left back.

Leeds looked hungrier than we did. Nice to see a fuller Ewood. For all their faults, Leeds fans were impressive (pains me to say).

Hope we win the rugby!

Agree 100% with all the above. Hanley was superb, again. Apart from him we were the pits.....very very poor and no midfield.

Ship out Murphy now.

I know our season tickets are cheap but they'll be giving them away next season such is the lack of action we've seen all season at home.

Yep, why anyone would buy a ST to watch this is beyond me.

The poor state of the pitch did not help the game but Leeds were better than us and can count themselves unlucky not to have won. Poor from Appleton not to make any changes (except the one forced on him) as the majority could see we needed to freshen it up. Campbell was shocking, Murphy really poor and several others only marginally better than these two. The only consolation for me is that I think under previous managers this season we may well have lost.

As a slight aside does anybody know where Dunn is?

The poor state of the pitch did not help the game but Leeds were better than us and can count themselves unlucky not to have won. Poor from Appleton not to make any changes (except the one forced on him) as the majority could see we needed to freshen it up. Campbell was shocking, Murphy really poor and several others only marginally better than these two. The only consolation for me is that I think under previous managers this season we may well have lost.

As a slight aside does anybody know where Dunn is?

Same as Tuesday night with Appleton. He is one dimensional verging on clueless.

Realistically now, i think the owners & Appletons last throw of the dice for a better(though far from certain) chance of getting into the play-offs is i for them and Appleton too convince a premiere league quality centre mid to join us for a few months(and we all know what that would entail ie.serious£££)

Appleton has succeeded in make us look more solid at the back and we aren't the soft touch that we were earlier in the season. It is going to take time for him to rebuild a squad that has been destroyed by two years of mismanagement. Personally, I'm happy with what I have seen so far. As I've felt all season, from day one at Ipswich, that the squad was never good enough to win promotion I can't say that I'm surprised that we are where we are. Like Leeds, we will be playing Championship football next season but given support by the owners in terms of the transfer market and with a proper pre-season behind them, I still feel confident that Appleton will do well for the club in the long run. The time to judge will be at this point next season. Five managers in one season is no basis for a promotion challenge and for that the blame lies with those in India and those who have spent too much time jockeying for position in the Boardroom.

I think today showed just how thin the squad is of the type of player needed to succeed in the Championship. At least Appleton has started weeding out the Fancy Dans who were never going to battle their way to promotion. I suspect that in his own mind the manager knows that promotion was never likely this season and that it is time to start preparing for the next campaign. The manager has also been unfortunate with the number of long term injuries that we are now picking up.

Appleton has succeeded in make us look more solid at the back and we aren't the soft touch that we were earlier in the season. It is going to take time for him to rebuild a squad that has been destroyed by two years of mismanagement. Personally, I'm happy with what I have seen so far. As I've felt all season, from day one at Ipswich, that the squad was never good enough to win promotion I can't say that I'm surprised that we are where we are. Like Leeds, we will be playing Championship football next season but given support by the owners in terms of the transfer market and with a proper pre-season behind them, I still feel confident that Appleton will do well for the club in the long run. The time to judge will be at this point next season. Five managers in one season is no basis for a promotion challenge and for that the blame lies with those in India and those who have spent too much time jockeying for position in the Boardroom.

I think today showed just how thin the squad is of the type of player needed to succeed in the Championship. At least Appleton has started weeding out the Fancy Dans who were never going to battle their way to promotion. I suspect that in his own mind the manager knows that promotion was never likely this season and that it is time to start preparing for the next campaign. The manager has also been unfortunate with the number of long term injuries that we are now picking up.

Agree

WE haven't adjusted to this division at all yet in terms of how teams play and whats required to get back up.Many teams have come to Ewood and bossed us and i think that comes becaus ew ecan't ever take a midfield and hence the game by the scruff of the neck with this mob or this formation. Murphy is hopeless and until we get 2 pitbulls with pace to dominate and feed two rapid wide lads we are going to struggle.

We have taken 9 out 21 points in the leahue under MA with 5 of them games being at hom. And whilst we do look more difficult to score against (though far from impregnable) how many cahnaces we have created you could count on one hand.

To now say we are down to bare bones with our playing budget means serious questions need answering starting with Shebbys ridiculous never to be seen in public imports

Good to see someone making a sensible comment. You obviously understand football which cant be said for all of our fans.

Words to remember: work in progress. Appleton is doing a fine job so far.

How did rekik and bentley d o?

Same as Tuesday night with Appleton. He is one dimensional verging on clueless.

Come on PB, unfortunately you can't polish a turd any more than you make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

It's the unfortunate legacy he's left with that's the problem.

That said, what they may lack in quality you would hope that they may try to bridge the gap with effort.

Tuesday night and today would suggest not, there are several who should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves.

What a difference 7 days makes. This time last week we were all in cloud cuckoo land talking about a trip Wembley, and promotion. A drubbing at Hull and a bore draw at home to Leeds plants us firmly back down to earth.

As has already been pointed out, the instability at the club has cost us any chance of promotion this season. Appleton should spend the rest of the season concentrating on who he wants around next year, playing them every game, training them to learn his system, and let the wasters play golf free to tout themselves to other clubs.

Rovers fans can learn a lot from Leeds fans. They are a club who seemingly had the world at their feet 10 years ago. Bad ownership has landed them where they are. They won't be back at the top table any time soon, and unless Venkys kick in for 5 new players this summer, as well as fronting the cash to offload the considerable dross in the Rovers squad we are likely to join them. How many supporters will find solace in them becoming 'real fans' happy to go to grounds the rest of the world has never heard of, nor is ever likely to be seen on TV.

It will take me a long long time for me to forgive the utter incompetence of Venkys. After every sh!te result we've had this season I wonder why they stuck with Steve Kean, and then invested sack all last January. It really does puzzle me.

• Backroom

Good to see someone making a sensible comment. You obviously understand football which cant be said for all of our fans.

Words to remember: work in progress. Appleton is doing a fine job so far.

How did rekik and bentley d o?

Parson for me is the voice of reason on here and always seems to know what he's talking about on football matters

Bentley showed signs of class and played some nice cross field balls but often tried to beat a man one time too many, Rekik looked a good outlet and really ambitious going forward but out of position one or two times

Both will be good additions IMO

Archived