BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bobby Moore

folkdevil

Met Bobby Moore on 2 occasions - like Ronnie Clayton and others of that generation he was a gentleman.

Didn't see the 1977 Ewood game but saw him play with Best against Rovers at Craven Cottage that year or the season before. Best beat Bradshaw with a 25-yard curler and Glenn Keeley was sent off.

Loads of memories of Bobby Moore. Too many to go through really. Maybe the stand out is his tackle on Jairzinho of Brazil in the 1970 World Cup. Jairzinho ( he scored in every game in the 1970 competition ) had broken away down the right hand channel in England's half, he had pace to burn and in a foot race he would have left Moore for dead. One mistake from Moore and Jairzinho would have been through on goal. Moore had brains and composure on his side though and just keep backing off, waiting for Jairzinho to make his move. Eventually Jairzinho just showed a little bit too much of the ball and Moore was in like a flash, nicked the ball of the Brazilian and cooly started another England attack. An object lesson to young players of how to read a situation and not be panicked by pacey players. Great, great player who always seemed to raise his game in an England shirt.

Died 20 years ago today.

Remember this iconic image.His last league game for Fulham at Ewood in May 1977.

Anyone got any memoriesI

One of my first games, I remember that Rovers had a presentation for him before the game!

Attended Bobby Moores last game at Ewwod that day, just remember being on the pitch after the game with everybody connected with Blackburn Rovers fans and club servants that day giving him great applause for such a distinguished career.

It was a very special moment at Ewood that day, as the whole of Ewood saluted a national treasure of that time.

That's a great picture. Vibrant colour. It's make a great poster.

Youtube has quite a bit on him, I ended up watching most of that England/Germany match of '66, they had the whole thing, at around the 1 hour, 16 minutes mark, something like that I watched the Germans score their 2nd goal, it's almost at the 90 minute mark, however the timing of the video is. Anyway, Brian Glanville writes in his book the Germans were given a free kick from which they scored but that that was a bad call to give them the free kick and watching it, I think that was actually a bad call and it could have cost England dearly. Good quality video.

Archived