Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Danny Murphy

Again, why is he on the radio?

He's either

- there without the clubs permission,

or

-someone at the club thought this was a good idea,

or

- the club don't bother to control the players media appearances.

Whichever, it's a shambles. Murphy should be up there with Shebby Singh on the list of employees that aren't allowed to talk to other people.

Indeed.

Who is in charge of PR at our cl....ah, I see.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderation Lead

Questions THAT WILL NEVER BE asked to Danny Murphy:

Is it true you have been training with the Youth Team?

Were you captain at the time?

Did you learn anything from the youngsters?

You mention Steve Kean. Did you directly or indirectly have a hand in the dismissal of any of the managers who replaced him?

What is your honest opinion of Michael Appleton?

How do you feel about being relieved of your captaincy?

How do you explain it?

Fixed!!!

I thought Murphy came across very well. Personally, couldn't see anything in this interview that should cause upset. Home games do present fans a chance to voice their frustrations - it's always been the case. Some players can be affected by this - over the years we have seen this time and time again. However, he rightly says the fans have every right to be frustrated.

I thought his comments on the owners were interesting in that he believes they have listened to too many people giving different opinions on how the club should be run. I think his views on the efforts of Gary and Terry were spot on and I suspect most of the players would like to see Gary get the job with Terry assisting him.

I'm no lover of Murphy but having listened to this interview I thought he spoke very well.

+

I'm not a fan of Murphy as a player, but nothing in this interview to get worked up about.

There's ill feeling towards him due to previous events which meant a bad reaction was inevitable.

Anyone with the slightest knowledge of PR would have realised that. Why did he need to say anything at all?

I dont see anything wrong at all in what Murphy has said in this interview, theres a mob mentality that will rubbish whatever he says.

I didn't like the way that he blames everyone bar himself/the players for our position this season.

Fans' fault for protesting, owners fault for changing managers.

What about taking some responsibility as the highest paid squad in the league?

1. Blaming fans for poor performances

2. Basically intimating that Kean should have stayed in the job...regardless of him getting us relegated

3. Admitting he wasn't prepared for the football in this division, but is quite happy to take his 35k per week irrespective

Came across very well he did.... :tu:

1. He didn't blame fans for poor performances though did he? He said that the crowd had the opportunity to voice their frustrations with the owners at home games - which he couldn't blame the fans for doing - and that this affected some of the players, particularly the youngers ones. Nothing new there. As long as I can remember some players have suffered because they have not been able to cope with pressure from the terraces.

2. He said that continual managerial change was not a good thing. He pointed out that we were well placed when Kean left. Well nobody will argue that 5 managers in a season is a good thing and factually he was correct in that we were well placed when Kean left.

3. Danny Murphy is not the first signing we have made who has dropped down a division and found it difficult to cope. Nothing wrong with him admitting that Championship football was different from what he expected.

So yes,Sparky, I thought he came across exceptionally well.

The players must take the biggest slice of responsibility for what has happened at our club this season.

You can hide behind as many excuses as you want, but when you fail to put the effort and performances in on the pitch, you have to look at yourself first and foremost.

Would you tolerate an employee who turned up to his new job unprepared and unable to do the role you have hired him for?

No you'd sack him on the spot as he's unfit for purpose and get someone who could.

Agreed

In most walks of employment life if you don't excel in your 13 week probationary contract period, you're not offered a permanent contract.

Why should the same not be applicable with football?

The players must take the biggest slice of responsibility for what has happened at our club this season.

You can hide behind as many excuses as you want, but when you fail to put the effort and performances in on the pitch, you have to look at yourself first and foremost.

By and large I agree about the players but there are a couple of mitigating circumstances in my opinion. Having six different managers in a short period of time cannot have helped particularly when each of them tried to set up and play a different style. In order to do this some of the training ground drills would have to change and invariably the personnel would also change on a regular basis. Several of the bigger names have been guilty of coasting in games but a few of the more honest players may well have been caught up in the ridiculous and comical way we have been run.

• Backroom

I see the Murphy apologists are out in numbers.

Some of you are easily pleased and quick to forget.

Regardless of any reasons/excuses that Danny boy may have for how badly this season has gone for him, (and yes, some of them may have legitimacy and foundation), the bottom line is would any of you have the bare-faced cheek to go in front of a live audience of millions and even discuss the matter, having "perfomed" as he did this season?

Maybe I'm too old fashioned, but I certainly wouldn't, I would be hanging my head in shame, trying to put it behind me and move on, and I certainly wouldn't be encouraging anyone to bring up the matter for discussion, even in a friggin private room, let alone a public audience.

By far the worst season of my whole career!! I would be doing my best to sweep it under a carpet.

But he has chosen to do the opposite. Only one group of people springs to mind that can be so catastrophically inept at their dayjob and yet still have the gall to publicly blame others for their deficiencies, and that's politicians, so he is with illustrious company.

His little stint on radio this morning is nothing but him trying his best to make plans to further his career after playing. And with the qualities he has shown me this season I don't blame him. He is certainly more suited to the so-called "MOTD armchair" than he is to anything that requires grit, determination, and effort such as coaching or managing.

And there is only one question I would ever want him asked by an interviewer and that is:

"Do you think it is right, professional, and proper for the wife of a sportsperson to publically celebrate her husband's team losing a match? Particularly when said club is paying vast amounts of money into his bank account weekly, for him to not be deemed adequate enough standard to even get into that team and maybe help prevent such defeats."

I would love to see him discuss that matter publicly.

1. He didn't blame fans for poor performances though did he? He said that the crowd had the opportunity to voice their frustrations with the owners at home games - which he couldn't blame the fans for doing - and that this affected some of the players, particularly the youngers ones. Nothing new there. As long as I can remember some players have suffered because they have not been able to cope with pressure from the terraces.

2. He said that continual managerial change was not a good thing. He pointed out that we were well placed when Kean left. Well nobody will argue that 5 managers in a season is a good thing and factually he was correct in that we were well placed when Kean left.

3. Danny Murphy is not the first signing we have made who has dropped down a division and found it difficult to cope. Nothing wrong with him admitting that Championship football was different from what he expected.

So yes,Sparky, I thought he came across exceptionally well.

So what has this professional done to ensure he can cope??? He obviously knows it's a problem so how has he strived to ensure he can cope?

Cause if he'd done anything we'd have seen improvement and yet?

He's happy enough to collect his 1.8M a year salary and yet appears unwilling to try and earn it.

People seem quite happy to say 5 managers, owners fans etc etc, but for me it doesn't matter. I've had 3 managers in one job this year and 4 in the other and yet regardless I get my head down and do what I need to to the best of my ability, I try. Half our players are just using what has gone on to justife their poor showings this year and are giving up, quitting. It's not my fault, I'm not responsible for my poor performances I have no influence over what I do and how I approach things, everyone else is to blame, how on earh could it be me I'm soandso.

I see quite a few parallels between people like these and those on the dole, I want money but I don't want to work for it.

Some of you are easily pleased and quick to forget.

Regardless of any reasons/excuses that Danny boy may have for how badly this season has gone for him, (and yes, some of them may have legitimacy and foundation), the bottom line is would any of you have the bare-faced cheek to go in front of a live audience of millions and even discuss the matter, having "perfomed" as he did this season?

Maybe I'm too old fashioned, but I certainly wouldn't, I would be hanging my head in shame, trying to put it behind me and move on, and I certainly wouldn't be encouraging anyone to bring up the matter for discussion, even in a friggin private room, let alone a public audience.

By far the worst season of my whole career!! I would be doing my best to sweep it under a carpet.

But he has chosen to do the opposite. Only one group of people springs to mind that can be so catastrophically inept at their dayjob and yet still have the gall to publicly blame others for their deficiencies, and that's politicians, so he is with illustrious company.

His little stint on radio this morning is nothing but him trying his best to make plans to further his career after playing. And with the qualities he has shown me this season I don't blame him. He is certainly more suited to the so-called "MOTD armchair" than he is to anything that requires grit, determination, and effort such as coaching or managing.

And there is only one question I would ever want him asked by an interviewer and that is:

"Do you think it is right, professional, and proper for the wife of a sportsperson to publically celebrate her husband's team losing a match? Particularly when said club is paying vast amounts of money into his bank account weekly, for him to not be deemed adequate enough standard to even get into that team and maybe help prevent such defeats."

I would love to see him discuss that matter publicly.

Superb post, love the question on the end.

Guest Norbert

The guy has spent the season strolling in the park for £35,000 p/w. He and his silly wife can kean off for all I care. At least Dick Turpin wore a mask.

I don't think you have to be a Murphy apologist to believe that the interview he gave was pretty fair. I agree, he has had a shocking season. Having watched every game he has played this season I can assure you that I have not forgotten just how poor he has been. However, I thought he came across well in this particular interview and made a number of valid points without attacking the fans.

I agree that what is wife put on her twitter account was stupid in the extreme but you can't hold a guy responsible for what his wife put's on twitter. At least Murphy is sufficiently wise enough to not get involved with twitter unlike some players.

As for his salary, I think it was the Rovers who offered it to him rather than he demanded it from the Rovers. If you are coming to the end of your career and someone offers you a huge last payday you aren't going to reject it. I think most people thought he might be able to do a job for us but he has been found out by the relentless pace of the game at this level.

Whilst being no fan of Murphy whatsoever, he is a lazy and aloof hasbeen, I can see no reason to chastise him, to the point of burning effigies of him in some scew eyed ritual, for the comments he made on the radio. Sadly the same cannot be said for the predictable and hackneyed comment quoted above

• Backroom

I'm by no means a Murphy apologist and he's been an absolute disgrace this season I just personally don't see the interview to be as bad as others are making out

I don't think you have to be a Murphy apologist to believe that the interview he gave was pretty fair. I agree, he has had a shocking season. Having watched every game he has played this season I can assure you that I have not forgotten just how poor he has been. However, I thought he came across well in this particular interview and made a number of valid points without attacking the fans.

I agree that what is wife put on her twitter account was stupid in the extreme but you can't hold a guy responsible for what his wife put's on twitter. At least Murphy is sufficiently wise enough to not get involved with twitter unlike some players.

As for his salary, I think it was the Rovers who offered it to him rather than he demanded it from the Rovers. If you are coming to the end of your career and someone offers you a huge last payday you aren't going to reject it. I think most people thought he might be able to do a job for us but he has been found out by the relentless pace of the game at this level.

The issue for me is simple he clearly knows as he is he cannot cope with it and yet has done bugger all about it as he's gotten worse over the season. The excuses are unprofessional as a professional would try and rectify the situation. I'd love to know if Murphy's wife was as vocal on Twitter prior to his arrival? He's a bad egg along with several others within our squad and these are the ones that have to go, regardless of cost in the summer.

theres a mob mentality that will rubbish whatever he says.

And rightly so, if we take into account his on field performances alone this season, he's a disgrace to his profession and don't get me started on the WAG.

The perception is he came here for one last payday and nothing wrong with that if you're actually contributing to the team, but he can't pass, he can't beat a man and looks disinterested, which in my book is a disgrace but all to familiar in modern day football.

The more I reflect on this, the more I feel his radio appearance was a strategic move by, or specific parties within, the club.

Too well prepared and unlikely to have been spontaneous.

A softening up, maybe, of the wider audience.

There has to be a reason why it was Danny "Mr Reasonable" Murphy and not a more representative member of the playing staff.

The podcast referred to potential interesting developments over the next few weeks. It does make you wonder.

Archived