BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Danny Murphy

Murphy was pretty good under Bowyer wasn't he?

I'm not advocating his return here, but I don't think any central midfielder could have looked good in the system that Appleton was playing.

Well if starts and plays well under Bowyer this time it can only mean he was deliberately assing about under Berg and Appleton and that's unacceptable.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote name="jw_" post="1393356" timestamp="1364027561

Well if starts and plays well under Bowyer this time it can only mean he was deliberately assing about under Berg and Appleton and that's unacceptable.

Absolutely true. He comes across as a sulky spoiled brat when he isn't getting his own way. In my opinion he hasn't had a good game all season, and was released by Fulham who recognised he was past it.

Or he just thought their tactics were a complete joke, either way his behaviour hasn't been acceptable

Danny Murphy was turfed out of Liverpool for being disruptive, I was told that by a season ticket holder when he signed, Benitez had him training with the kids before the sale to Fulham, somethings never change eh? and don't get me started on his thick wife and her twa**er rant.

He should never play for this club again, for footballing reasons alone he's been rubbish, Dunny did more in the Millwall games and bumley at home than he's done since he came here.

Pathetic that he's getting a reprieve, but not unexpected.

I can't remember every game under Berg but he definitely put a shift in against Birmingham and Peterborough.

I'm by no means Murphy's biggest fan but this is becoming like a witch hunt.

From the LT article:

Ironically, given the Berg claim, Murphy’s recall has helped Rovers to avoid shelling out an estimated £2m as the midfielder is understood to command at least £35,000 a week in wages.

Now which genius gave him THAT contract and sold Nzonzi for £2.5m?

Thought that was down to Kean? No doubt there'd be a 'taster' with Murphy's deal was usual and allegedly he and N'Zonzi didn't get on. Footballing ability wise the chasm between them is huge. N'Zonzi would be a fearsome opponent in midfield whilst Danny Murphy these days reminds me of a cross between 'Lonely' in Callan and Albert Steptoe.

I can't remember every game under Berg but he definitely put a shift in against Birmingham and Peterborough.

I'm by no means Murphy's biggest fan but this is becoming like a witch hunt.

Be a Murphy apologist if you wish. The rest of us want him out (certainly me) and as far as I am concerrned if Bowyer brings him back he is starting on the wrong foot with the fans.

Similarly if he does not play Dunn after his performances in the last two matches.

• Moderation Lead

Be a Murphy apologist if you wish. The rest of us want him out (certainly me) and as far as I am concerrned if Bowyer brings him back he is starting on the wrong foot with the fans.

Similarly if he does not play Dunn after his performances in the last two matches.

Exactly Al. Someone talking some sense!!

If Bowyer repeats his 3 wins and 1 draw in the next 4 games he can play murphy, orr, pol pot and shebby for all i care. We've been down the "fans picking the team" route with Berg and the Shebster and it didn't do us an awful lot of good.

If Bowyer repeats his 3 wins and 1 draw in the next 4 games he can play murphy, orr, pol pot and shebby for all i care. We've been down the "fans picking the team" route with Berg and the Shebster and it didn't do us an awful lot of good.

Doesn't make Murphy worth his place if we win every match. It would be in spite of him.

Disagree completely with that. As I pointed out a few weeks ago Appleton's credibility on the pitch was disappearing with each passing week and the axeing of Murphy might well have been a desperate attempt to show he was the big I am and reassert some authority. He could simply have dropped Murphy in the normal manner and if he wasn't happy with Murphy's contribution dealt with it privately in house. He didn't need to strip him of the captaincy, publically humiliate him and leave the Club in a position whereby we couldn't really use Murphy again without a huge loss of face.

With the benefit of hindsight it was a desperate gamble which failed spectacularly.

Dropping Murphy did not work as far as the 2 FA Cup games against Millwall were concerned.

And whilst we don't know for certain how the entire episode was viewed upstairs, Murphy is still here, and Appleton is not. So maybe we can guess.

Bowyer bringing Murphy back will be similar to Appleton bringing Orr back.

We will have to hope that, when he does, Murphy looks more interested in the next 8 games than he has in his last 8.

Bowyer bringing Murphy back will be similar to Appleton bringing Orr back.

We will have to hope that, when he does, Murphy looks more interested in the next 8 games than he has in his last 8.

I see your point there and you're right. In that respect Bowyer would be laying himself open to criticism.

But saying Bowyer can't pick Murphy because Appleton bombed him out would be like the powers that be saying to Appleton, "You can't bring Orr back" even though Appleton might want to. It wouldn't be right even if Orr is arguably the worst player I've ever seen pull on a Rovers shirt.

Similarly, it would be equally wrong if Bowyer didn't want to play Murphy and the powers that be insisted he did as some people are speculating.

I think that's unlikely myself because Bowyer was fulsome of his praise of Murphy at one point during his last caretaker spell.

Guest Norbert

If Bowyer got him playing well, I wouldn't mind him coming back, but if he was as bad as he has been most of the season, I'd rather he just went.

• Backroom

If Bowyer got him playing well, I wouldn't mind him coming back, but if he was as bad as he has been most of the season, I'd rather he just went.

The thing is he would have to earn a place in the team, right now he should be behind Dunn, jones, Lowe, Williamson and even maybe Pedersen

If for some reason they can't play and he does and does enough to keep his place then fair enough

Do you think Murphy believes he has another year in him or do his poor showings this season convince him to retire? I think retiring while on top is an artform and it's always special when someone retires while the fans are still longing for more - like Cantona and Zidane. Others push it too far, like the obvious Murphy or Chris Waddle. But knowing he has another year of substantial payments waiting, will he do the 'honourable' thing or will he stick it out?

Do you think Murphy believes he has another year in him or do his poor showings this season convince him to retire? I think retiring while on top is an artform and it's always special when someone retires while the fans are still longing for more - like Cantona and Zidane. Others push it too far, like the obvious Murphy or Chris Waddle. But knowing he has another year of substantial payments waiting, will he do the 'honourable' thing or will he stick it out?

Easy. I'm sure we all know that he'll do whatever his wife tells him. And given the nature of wags it'll be to keep her credit card well topped up.

That's fine. I still don't think that's an excuse for making up lies though.

Murphy got something resembling a standing ovation when he went off against Birmingham, so to say he never tried under Berg is wrong.

If the fans want Bowyer to recreate his good form from his last tenure then they need to let him pick whoever he wants. If that involves Murphy then so be it.

I'm afraid Murphy has already missed his chance to retire whilst the fans are still longing for more but who can blame him for taking £35K a week for sitting on his arse or training a few kids.

That's fine. I still don't think that's an excuse for making up lies though.

Murphy got something resembling a standing ovation when he went off against Birmingham, so to say he never tried under Berg is wrong.

If the fans want Bowyer to recreate his good form from his last tenure then they need to let him pick whoever he wants. If that involves Murphy then so be it.

What good form. I must have blinked? We cannot afford a passenger for the rest of the season.

Archived