BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gary Bowyer

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bowyer had just 4 games in charge with the Wolves draw being absolutely awful. Hardly proof he's going to suddenly turn fortunes around. Relegation is going to be skin of our teeth stuff. We will be saved by our home results IF we get any

From what i saw and heard under his spell, the players actually looked to enjoy playing football under him. Despite the positive comments from the players under appleton, it didnt look like they enjoyed playing.

I believe he will do a good job for us and we will finish top 10.

From what i saw and heard under his spell, the players actually looked to enjoy playing football under him.

I

They ALWAYS say that!

I think anything is possible right now, and we should expect Gary to lead us to safety on the back of the 4 games he had earlier. The acid test of course will come when we have our first defeat, will he be able to get the team to bounce back?

Of course what should've happened is that Bowyer should've been given more time while we searched for an experienced manager who was a good fit to the role. Then this @#/? would never have been necessary in the first place.

DESPAIR.COM

Bowyer had just 4 games in charge with the Wolves draw being absolutely awful. Hardly proof he's going to suddenly turn fortunes around. Relegation is going to be skin of our teeth stuff. We will be saved by our home results IF we get any

The draw at Wolves was absolutely awful? First off it was an away draw, which makes it an improvement on the multitude of home draws/defeats under Appleton and Berg. Secondly it was their first game under a new manager, with the Molineux crowd/players as fired up as they've been all season. Thirdly it was 20 minutes away from being a win. That was our worst performance under Bowyer and it was still better than the majority of our performances under Appleton and Berg. If that was absolutely awful then we'll have to create a new dictionary to describe some of the other parts of this season.

Yeah there's hardly proof but there's an indication. 7 points from 3 games and a 75% win ratio. Why on earth that points to 50/50 relegation and barely scraping any points at home is beyond me. Bowyer deserves some credit and some faith after last time, and there's also the point that beggars can't be choosers.

They ALWAYS say that!

I think anything is possible right now, and we should expect Gary to lead us to safety on the back of the 4 games he had earlier. The acid test of course will come when we have our first defeat, will he be able to get the team to bounce back?

Of course what should've happened is that Bowyer should've been given more time while we searched for an experienced manager who was a good fit to the role. Then this @#/? would never have been necessary in the first place.

DESPAIR.COM

its not what they say. its how they act. You can tell on the body language if the players are happy or not. They looked happy under bowyer, not so much under appleton despite what they said.

If you remember, the Appleton appointment was announced before the Wolves game, this upset the players and I think was the cause of the poor performance - see Danny Murphy's comments straight after the final whistle. I think they wanted to keep Bowyer on.

If you remember, the Appleton appointment was announced before the Wolves game, this upset the players and I think was the cause of the poor performance - see Danny Murphy's comments straight after the final whistle. I think they wanted to keep Bowyer on.

Or were as underwhelmed as the rest of us at the thought of Appleton? Most of us anyway.

• Moderation Lead

He won't take the job full time, I'd put good money on that. He's happy as reserve team manager.

Aye, I'd be amazed if he did, nowhere near the job security he has as manager of the ressies as 1st team manager.

This is one of the problems caused by continual changes of manager, however, it shouldn't matter what the players want.

There will always be some players who benefit from a new manager coming in and some who suffer,(like Murphy).

The important thing is to hire the right guy and stick with him, something evidently beyond Venky's, Shebby and Shagnew.

Perhaps the draw with Wolves and the performance was related to the fact that Appleton was already there. Possibly as much to do with the players taking another day off than GB, just sayin.

• Backroom

Maybe they were down because Appleton was coming in but you'd think they would have wanted to give Bowyer their all for one last game

Either way its pathetic that we make these excuses for the tarts we have as players, be it Gary bowyer, Michael Appleton, Steve Kean or Shebby himself they should give their all once they are on the pitch

I don't particularly care what has gone on before as long as we go out and get 3 points against Blackpool

GB has an impossible task now......if he can get the results and keep us up, all well and good.....but does he have the Tony Parkes touch? A defeat on Friday, followed by a trip to the forfeit ground? Could be in free fall by 5pm Monday. Not only have we suffered from the Deluded Ones take over, we now have the last throw of the dice for the season due to the incompetence of a board that is split and has overseen Managerial suicide. I expect nothing less than every man giving his all on Friday. Anything less, and I wash my hands till the dark forces depart!

• Backroom

I think the opposite, its a good situation for him to be in, if he does bad it will all be on Appleton in a lot of folks minds but if we beat Blackpool on Friday folk will say we wouldn't have won it under the last manager and its all down to him

All we need is 2 or 3 proper performances and it should see us safe and if the players like Bowyer as much as we hear I expect they will be keen to get those wins pronto

Lengthy interview with him in today's LT.

He seems to be far from ruling himself out from the managers job on a permanent basis with his comments culminating in "Is this an audition? I'm just going to treat it game by game."

Is he the right man? I honestly don't know yet but if he can add another six wins or so to the 3 he got earlier in the season then there's every chance he might be regardless of him not being a "big name"

On the other hand he might just have been benefitting form new manager bounce earlier in the season. Wasn't something Black, Berg or Appleton could eke out of the squad though.

Question is: would Bowyer being appointed prove Venkys are trying to do things better, or is it just another inexperienced gamble suggesting nothing's changed?

The managers who have served us well in the last 20 years have all been born winners. If we can't have that we desperately need at least proven experience in this club - at every level.

I desperately want Venkys to prove me wrong.

never in a million years should he be given the job, if we have learned one thing so far, we need experience not another experiment, he may win a few games between now and the end of season being another 'honeymoon effect' but its not worth risking giving him the job permanently as we cant afford another kean-up next season on the whim that he may turn out well, doubt venkys will want to pay out for another manager, mind!!!

never in a million years should he be given the job, if we have learned one thing so far, we need experience not another experiment, he may win a few games between now and the end of season being another 'honeymoon effect' but its not worth risking giving him the job permanently as we cant afford another kean-up next season on the whim that he may turn out well, doubt venkys will want to pay out for another manager, mind!!!

Did either Berg or Appleton get a honeymoon effect taking into account the level of opponent. If Bowyer notches several wins, given the caliber of some of the teams we play, absolutely he should be considered.

I have an odd feeling Bowyer will do well, I once promoted a kid with little experience but had something about him and he changed allot about how my company worked. Bowyer has the experience with the kids, has proven himself at more levels within the club than anything we have so we should get behind him.

We have to remember he got better performances from our apparently money grabbing crew than anything we have had to date, he does not seem to suffer from that age old problem of playing a team to his formation but rather plays a team to their individual strengths.

• Backroom

Hope he does well enough to be considered for it permanently

Today should have taught him the first half set up doesn't work and we are much more effective with kaz and best on the pitch

Hope he does well enough to be considered for it permanently

Today should have taught him the first half set up doesn't work and we are much more effective with kaz and best on the pitch

Thought the 4-3-3 worked to a point. think 3 forwards of Kaz, Rhodes and King would have made us better.

think we will swap systems between 4-4-2 and 4-3-3 for the rest of the season.

made very positive subs and quickly when it was needed,

really hope he does well and is considering for post full time IF he wants it.

Archived