BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] David Dunn a Blackburn Legend

Gav

Or the fact that he is a player approaching the end of his career who has had severe trouble with injuries for practically a decade?

Let's face it, he's the occasional shining light in a poor side, but he's not really up to it anymore. If he could stay around on a small contract and maybe work on his coaching that would be great, but these are footballers that we are talking about, to have Dunn hang about to play 5-10 matches a year would cost the club 15-20k a week. It could be better spent.

I would normally agree with you Eddie but in a culture that deems it fit and appropriate to pay Kean £1.2 million, Berg £2 million and Appleton £500k in severance pay and sign up to contracts for several no-marks from Portugal averaging £7.5k a week each and the Malaysian idiot on £400k a year amongst others, would you not consider it appropriate to offer someone who actually cares about the club a one year extension?

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't be so simplistic. David Dunn had the potential to be a top, top player in English football. However, he's spent most of his career either injured, or floating around our first team, but never, three seasons apart, has he been a guaranteed starter.

No, he's not a legend because in twelve seasons with our club, he's only ever been a regular starter in three.

300 appearances for the club? could have been more if it wasn't for injury.

We'll agree to disagree.

Happy to agree to disagree, but you're lying to yourself if you try and say he's been a regular starter for the most of his time here.

But the reason why he hasn't been a regular starter is because he's had so many injuries, not because he isn't good enough. His contribution when he has played over the past decade justifies him being considered a club legend. Its not down to success either. Otherwise the likes of Garner, Tugay and Friedel wouldn't get a look in. And besides, Dunn has lifted the League Cup,

Won the League Cup, won promotion with us, been capped for England, played for England under-21s for 3 years and made nearly 200 appearance in the top flight of english football. He's achieved a damn sight more than 95% of the post-war players at this club. And I'd say he's achieved more than any player in english football who have had 15-20 injuries in their career.

Won the League Cup, won promotion with us, been capped for England, played for England under-21s for 3 years and made nearly 200 appearance in the top flight of english football. He's achieved a damn sight more than 95% of the post-war players at this club. And I'd say he's achieved more than any player in english football who have had 15-20 injuries in their career.

I don't know where to start with that one.

Also, for those talking injuries, the reason he's had so many is because he hasn't looked after himself. Spending your lots money down the local more often than not.

Anyways, I'm not allowing myself to be seen as 'Anti-Dunn,' as I like the guy, and I've not enjoyed watching many Rovers players more than the 2000-2003 version. However, I would dispute the term 'Legend' being attached to him, and I think I've presented a fair enough argument to explain this stance.

I don't know where to start with that one.

Also, for those talking injuries, the reason he's had so many is because he hasn't looked after himself. Spending your lots money down the local more often than not.

Anyways, I'm not allowing myself to be seen as 'Anti-Dunn,' as I like the guy, and I've not enjoyed watching many Rovers players more than the 2000-2003 version. However, I would dispute the term 'Legend' being attached to him, and I think I've presented a fair enough argument to explain this stance.

And I don't know where to start with that one. Being a normal young man in your late teens/20s and liking a drink with your mates every other saturday night means you've consigned yourself to a career of moderate to serious injury? I suppose thats what it comes down to with Dunn. Those fans who think him not fitting into the sterilised, personalityless, society-avoiding bubble of most modern footballers has caused him to suffer multiple tendon and muscle injuries in his legs. And those who think its got nothing to do with that and he's just been unlucky. The second category of fans are always more generous in their praise for him than the first category.

Happy to agree to disagree, but you're lying to yourself if you try and say he's been a regular starter for the most of his time here.

I never said he's been a regular starter I don't think?

But has made almost 300 appearances which isn't bad for "an injury prone player who's wasted his talent...."

No, he deserves cult status for his achievements against Burnley. Legendary status should be reserved for those who actually achieve something worthwhile whilst at a football club. If Dunn had put the club and his career ahead of his own lifestyle, he would never have been at Rovers for twelve seasons. The only reason he had been is because he's an underachiever.

Underachievers aren't Legends. Unless of course you want to label him a "Legendary Underachiever."

eeer! he was instrumental in getting us promoted last time(scoring something like 20 goals) and Obviously also won the Worthington cup final with us, it was just Souness in his 'slightly crackers' final year or two that forced him out.

What did Tugay ever win with us, he never really got to prove himself at the highest level, but there's no doubting he is a legend.

Sorry but that's just sensationalistion. It's not "Murphy in Dunn out" - Murphy was already in, he signed a two year deal.

As great as Dunn was against Burnley, does anyone really want him signed up for another year? We can never build a team that has him as a central figure because he's injured so often. A few weeks ago people were saying he should retire!

Didn't Gary Bowyer say Murphy was very helpful to him in his time as caretaker? His performances were decent in that time at least.

and you don't find that worrying at all!

And I don't know where to start with that one. Being a normal young man in your late teens/20s and liking a drink with your mates every other saturday night means you've consigned yourself to a career of moderate to serious injury? I suppose thats what it comes down to with Dunn. Those fans who think him not fitting into the sterilised, personalityless, society-avoiding bubble of most modern footballers has caused him to suffer multiple tendon and muscle injuries in his legs. And those who think its got nothing to do with that and he's just been unlucky. The second category of fans are always more generous in their praise for him than the first category.

Nonsense. Not true at all. Far more of a frequent customer from what I'm led to believe.

And the guy who mentioned Tugay, he was ten times the player for us that Dunn was. And Gav, no, 300 appearances isn't that bad in 12 years, but is less than 30 per season, with most seasons averaging at well over 40 games per season. In fact, i suspect he's played in about 60% of matches in his time here as a first teamer.

We're not talking the stats of legends, in my opinion.

• Backroom

Tbf Batman, it's all subjective. I can certainly see why you wouldn't give him legendary status. I mentioned earlier in the thread, he's in the Flitcroft, Thompson, Gillespie, Savage category for me. By no means a legend, but definitely one of the better players on our books when he's played.

Nonsense. Not true at all. Far more of a frequent customer from what I'm led to believe.

And the guy who mentioned Tugay, he was ten times the player for us that Dunn was. And Gav, no, 300 appearances isn't that bad in 12 years, but is less than 30 per season, with most seasons averaging at well over 40 games per season. In fact, i suspect he's played in about 60% of matches in his time here as a first teamer.

We're not talking the stats of legends, in my opinion.

well that 'guy' was me!!!

and you have conveniently missed the point.(he was a relatively great player,no question, but he never won or really achieved anything of note with us)

Tbf Batman, it's all subjective. I can certainly see why you wouldn't give him legendary status. I mentioned earlier in the thread, he's in the Flitcroft, Thompson, Gillespie, Savage category for me. By no means a legend, but definitely one of the better players on our books when he's played.

Exactly.

and you have conveniently missed the point.(he was a relatively great player,no question, but he never won or really achieved anything of note with us)

I've not conveniently missed the point, I addressed it about five posts ago. He was a World Class performer for us over a sustained period. That deserves legendary status. Never have I felt short changed by Tugay. At time (plenty of times), I have by Dunn.

• Backroom

If Dunn was not a local lad he would never be called a "legend". He's been fantastic at times for us over the years but he's had problems with consistency and a tense relationship with a section of the fanbase which puts him in a category below the likes of Shearer, Friedel, Garner, etc in my eyes. A good player on his day, but unfortunately post-2001 his days were often too far apart.

Comparing Dunn with Thompson, Gillespie and Savage. You've had a shocker there, Mike.

Exactly.

Agreeing with Mellison? You've had a shocker there, Shilitoe. :P

Alex Ferguson disagrees with you:-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2001/feb/25/newsstory.sport

Given the money on offer is it too much to ask to stay off the @#/? for the length of what is a comparatively brief career??

What did Tugay ever win with us, he never really got to prove himself at the highest level, but there's no doubting he is a legend.

and you don't find that worrying at all!

Hmmm, not sure we should judge it like that. Or over 80% of English teams will never have a legend playing for them.

If we had a team full of players of Tugay's ability we would have been challenging for every trophy going.....add that to the length of time he was here, the absolute screamers, pinpoint long passes, rapport with the fans and by all accounts being a nice guy then I'd say Tugay is definitely a Rovers legend.

• Backroom

Comparing Dunn with Thompson, Gillespie and Savage. You've had a shocker there, Mike.

Agreeing with Mellison? You've had a shocker there, Shilitoe. :P

In terms of what they've achieved on behalf of the club, they're about the same imo. Dunn hasn't repeatedly been a class act on and off the pitch (read Nelsen, Salgado in his short time here, Friedel, Duff, Tugay etc). Then come the 'cult status' or 'fan faves' such as Jansen, Dunn, Short, Todd, Flitty, Thompson etc.

It's all subjective. If Dunn weren't a fan, you'd be agreeing wholeheartedly.

And there's a first time for everything, but don't get too used to it hahaha.

Tugay was great for us, but was never tested at the highest level at a top club, I don't think his all around game would have been good enough for him to be a regular starter at a top club, don't get me wrong he is the definition of a club legend, icon and a great role model.

Dunn is like a family member(love him or hate him, he's one of us) where as tugay was santa clause

• Backroom

Tugay was great for us, but was never tested at the highest level at a top club, I don't think his all around game would have been good enough for him to be a regular starter at a top club, don't get me wrong he is the definition of a club legend, icon and a great role model.

Dunn is like a family member(love him or hate him, he's one of us) where as tugay was santa clause

I can go with that. But he's a bit like the little runt that only turned up properly when the neighbours wanted a scrap.

This could be completely wrong but didn't Ferguson once say if Scholes left or retired prematurely he probably would have just signed Tugay?

"Tugay is playing absolutely out of his skin at the moment.

"People say to me, 'don't you wish he was 10 years younger?' My answer is 'no', because if he was he would be at Barcelona.

Mark Hughes after a Liverpool game. Possibly the 1-0 at Ewood on Boxing Day when a couple of stepovers mugged off Gerrard before he made a delightful through ball to Pedersen who squared it for McCarthy.

"But in seven years of pure quality at Blackburn Tugay received praise in the press only when he scored one of his numerous long-range thunderbolts. That is clearly to miss the point of the man. He was still able to cut it in central midfield at the age of 38, yet this wasn’t down to a monastic yoga obsession. This was because he had unbelievable technique. In fact, I think he’s in the top ten ball players the Premiership has seen in the last 10 years. But he wasn’t just a ‘nice footballer’ like, say, Luis Garcia, who might not have a great impact on the game. Alex Ferguson said that, were he ten years younger, he would have been at home in the Man United side; Mark Hughes said he would be playing for Barcelona. Ferguson paid him the ultimate tribute of having Rooney effectively man-marking him whenever we played them. You could see the pure skill of the man in the exhibition games when he would throw in casual but brilliant stepovers and backheels or pretend to catch a high ball and then control it and carry on playing or control the ball with his arse. He oozed natural ability."

Some people on here really cannot see the wood for the trees. When I say "achieve something," 94 caps for your country whilst performing at your top level for a club for over five years is a more than worthy achievement to be considered a Legend.

Are you really all so dormant that you have to take "achieve something" to be winning trophies? Like somebody said, if this were the case, not many clubs would have Legends.

Please, stop posting such mundane, literal nonsense some of you. I have no problems having a discussion, and hearing peoples opinions on why they disagree, but seeing how some of you clutch on to one menial comment and extract the crap out of it s tiresome and embarrassing.

Archived