BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] David Dunn a Blackburn Legend

Gav

Some people on here really cannot see the wood for the trees. When I say "achieve something," 94 caps for your country whilst performing at your top level for a club for over five years is a more than worthy achievement to be considered a Legend.

Are you really all so dormant that you have to take "achieve something" to be winning trophies? Like somebody said, if this were the case, not many clubs would have Legends.

Please, stop posting such mundane, literal nonsense some of you. I have no problems having a discussion, and hearing peoples opinions on why they disagree, but seeing how some of you clutch on to one menial comment and extract the crap out of it s tiresome and embarrassing.

You call me simplistic but you seem to be being obtuse for sake of it. We are 21st century Blackburn Rovers, not Manchester United, or Barca.

A Rovers player just playing for England once is an achievement. And may never happen again in our lifetime.

No-one's saying he's in our Top 10 players of all time but he deserves to be in the hall of fame and a photo in the legends lounge. When did our last 'local lad' play for England prior to Dunn? That plus his regular goals in our derby matches with 'that lot' and a cup win give him that status IMHO.

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being local does not make you a legend.

And there is no question that Dunn's failure to look after himself and his body has contributed to his poor injury record.

If you can't be disciplined for a short career, earning multi-millions, then you need to take a look at yourself.

Legends? Tugay / Dunn? I'd say both were. Dunny is a fine talent BUT Tugay wasn't christened the Maestro for nothing. The important bit is that it is very very doubtful that we will see their likes playing for BRFC again. The next legends will be of much poorer quality like SG, Faz, Beamo or Killer.

The younger fans who stick with supporting BRFC and don't defect to some big club (as thousands will) are in for some serious character building years.

• Backroom

Legends? Tugay / Dunn? I'd say both were. Dunny is a fine talent BUT Tugay wasn't christened the Maestro for nothing. The important bit is that it is very very doubtful that we will see their likes playing for BRFC again. The next legends will be of much poorer quality like SG, Faz, Beamo or Killer.

The younger fans who stick with supporting BRFC and don't defect to some big club (as thousands will) are in for some serious character building years.

I reckon the last 2yrs alone have built character somewhat.

Sage as usual, Gordon.

It's one of the few reasons left TO support Rovers!

And there is no question that Dunn's failure to look after himself and his body has contributed to his poor injury record.

I'd say there's a big question. This assumption seems to be made a lot regarding Dunn but is there any evidence to back it up? He wasn't getting sloshed every night or we'd have heard about it from his managers. Souness called him playboy or whatever but he hardly intimated Dunn was a borderline alcoholic/drug addict. How often did Dunn get drunk compared to Simon Garner, how many fags did he smoke compared to Tugay, how many drugs did he take compared to Tony Adams? I don't remember any of these players careers being blighted by injury, and the same probably applies to most players before 1990.

Whether he should have been living the lifestyle he did with the money he was being paid is another matter. Whether it caused his injuries I seriously doubt. Seems to me fans are inclined to make out thats the case because they don't think he should have been living like that and want to assign an appropriate punishment to him for doing it.

• Backroom

Peoples bodies aren't all the same, SKH. Some need to be looked after a lot better than others, especially in the world of professional athletes. It's clear Dunn has not taken care of himself as well as he could have. It's impossible to say how much this contributed to his injury record, but I doubt it helped, as the multiple injuries he's sustained suggests he doesn't have the body of a natural athlete.

Tbh a Legend is a tale of deeds done long ago

So I suppose maybe one day the tale of Dunn may be told to future generations

Great Grandson: "Is it true Grandad that the Dingles almost beat Rovers?"

Great Grandad "Yes. My Great Great Grandad would have seen someone called David Dunn once score an equaliser during injury time when the record stood at 34 years"

Great Grandson "Wow. And the record is still intact over 60 years later"

Great Grandad "Aye. That was back when the Dingles were a league club"

Dunn isnt a legend for me just a fans favourite the same as Jansen, Flitcroft, savage, samba and duff. legends to have played for the club since winning the title Tugay, Friedel and Nelsen.

I do talk some rubbish(but at least i'm aware of it most of the time!), so your trying to say so -called 'loyalty' is the key to being a legend(Does that make MGP a legend)

Nelsen - professional, solid defender, good captain yes but how can you say for example he's any better or worst regarded than Flitcroft(a player who was at the club longer than nelsen, captained the club through thick and thin and also won medals.

I think b&w army above has nailed it, legendary status builds over decades,

Though lets hope the clubs still around then(as a professional club) for future generations to even be aware it existed though(otherwise all the legends will be forgotten over time and be resigned to the history books only)

Tbh a Legend is a tale of deeds done long ago

So I suppose maybe one day the tale of Dunn may be told to future generations

Great Grandson: "Is it true Grandad that the Dingles almost beat Rovers?"

Great Grandad "Yes. My Great Great Grandad would have seen someone called David Dunn once score an equaliser during injury time when the record stood at 34 years"

Great Grandson "Wow. And the record is still intact over 60 years later"

Great Grandad "Aye. That was back when the Dingles were a league club"

Brilliant. Love that. :tu:

“I hope the fans can somehow have some sympathy for the players"

Absolute load of old ********S

Why so ?

The fans are perplexed (to put it mildly) over events at Ewood so it's not surprising the players feel the same.

Look at it from their point of view: players need stability and certainty as much as anyone in the workplace and they've had five different managers giving them orders this season.

Rovers fans are in disgrace after the poor showing for the Millwall replay and it's time they showed their mettle, stand together and get behind the players.

David Dunn is bang on the money for me with most of his comments. The players (with one or two notable exceptions) must be as bewildered as we are with the nonsense and idiocy currently prevailing at Ewood. I understand that not one of them has an ounce of respect for Shebby and very little time for the other two nuggets. Hopefully the recent events can galvanise the players and fans and get us out of the mess (on the playing side) that we are in.

Who would perform well under the regime we have and have had for the last 2-3 years? You are only as good as the management let you be. That's not just the immediate manager but the whole setup at the club. We as fans are cheesed off and so why should players put in the effort that they would under any halfway decent set up? Yes, they get paid a fortune, but that's not what it's all about. Even getting paid loads doesn't make for a happy working environment. footballers, like all workers need guidance, support and motivating. Where has any of that been for our players for ages?

Archived