BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Battersby and Currie

Sounds like an unrealistic "Give us the Club for nothing" plea to me Bob.

We've been in this position with Messrs Currie and Battersby hopping about in the background for over 12 months now. If they're in any way serious it's time for them to put up or shut up now and stop unfairly raising the hopes of the fans.

If they haven't got the money, it really isn't helping anyone.

Alright Rev?

How can they "put up or shut up" Rev when they don't know the true scale of the debt and the owners won't talk to anyone? You'd be mad to show your hand at this stage.

As for "give us the club for nothing" - by the time this lot have finished that's exactly what'll it'll be worth. Oh, plus the debt as well. Oh, and no customers.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright Rev?

How can they "put up or shut up" Rev when they don't know the true scale of the debt and the owners won't talk to anyone? You'd be mad to show your hand at this stage.

As for "give us the club for nothing" - by the time this lot have finished that's exactly what'll it'll be worth. Oh, plus the debt as well. Oh, and no customers.

+1 Bob

Should we not give 'em a break folks

I'm certain they're genuine in their intentions and maybe our only source of salvation.

The issue is, it would appear they always get thrown a deaf 'un from 8,000 miles away for some reason as do everyone else.

There's an old saying.

"If you have to ask the price of something you can't afford it."

Seneca: Company with English owners without a pot to **** in in terms of owning a major football Club but with the possibility of introducing some serious backers.

Probiz: Company with Indian owners without a pot to **** in in terms of owning a major football Club but with the possibility of introducing serious backers.

Would that be a fair summation?

Last I checked Faisal was born and raised in Blackburn, not India.

We've been in this position with Messrs Currie and Battersby hopping about in the background for over 12 months now. If they're in any way serious it's time for them to put up or shut up now and stop unfairly raising the hopes of the fans.

Thats the whole point though Rev isnt it? Somebody local with as much gravitas as anyone we've seen so far trying their damnedest to get this out of the clutches of these idiots.Nobody has a feckin clue whether its £1m underwater or £100m underwater and the range is so massive in between that you cant possibly be more informative.

By the way i;m going to the estate agents tomorrow house hunting.Ive told them i can afford up to £500k-where do you start??

I think we should wait and see how this pans out or just let Shebby run riot and never come on here again.

Rev, you are aware that both Seneca and Rovers Trust have been banging down Venkys door in an almost literal sense for over 12 months now, right? That's what you call hopping around in the background? What are they supposed to do, go out in public and say a number? Where is that going to get you? I think it is highly unfair for you to come out and say something like that when you offer no alternative or suggestion as to how you would go about it were you in a position similar to theirs. Let's hear how you would handle the situation then?

There were some very minor conditions attached to the sale mentioned in the LT.

Not to move Jack's statue. Jack's son in law to stay on Board until certain date.

I think there are covenants safeguarding the future of the training ground at Brockhall.

Beyond that I'd be extremely surprised if there were any sort of conditions enabling the Trust to take back control of the Club. They couldn't wait to get us off their hands and that would be the last thing they'd want tbh.

Here is an excerpt from the the actual agreement, if it hasn't already been posted elsewhere (All Caps are my commentary) Admittedly most of this is not legally enforceable due to the language and disclaimers used in the rest of the document, but the utter failure and/or disregard for the promises they made is hard to swallow:

The Venky's Board has given assurances to BRFCI that Venky's:

(a) will commit funds on a consistent and systematic basis to future transfer and/or loan activity;

NET ODD £20m PROFIT ON PLAYER TRADING SINCE 2010

(B) intends to continue to support the existing management team and staff, and that it is committed to the future development of, and investment in, the Club’s academy and youth infrastructure;

WHO IS LEFT BUT PAUL AGNEW? £1m WAS INVESTED IN THE ACADEMY GROUNDS THIS SEASON FOR THE NEW PITCH

© will continue to support, promote and extend the Club’s local community and CSR activities (VH and its subsidiaries have their own trust engaged in significant charitable work);

BRCT HAS SEEN MASSIVE LOSSES IN FUNDING DUE TO RELEGATION THAT HAS NOT BEEN REPLACED OR MATCHED BY FUNDING FROM VENKYS

DERIAN HOUSE HAS BEEN GIVEN IN-KIND DONATIONS IN THE FORM OF ADVERTISING SPACE FOR FREE AT EWOOD

(d) will seek to extend the Blackburn Rovers name and brand into India, the rest of south-east Asia and beyond;

ROVERS TOOK PART IN A PRESEASON TOURNAMENT IN 2011, AND PLAYED IN PUNE DURING THE 2011 SEASON.

(e) will seek to develop and improve commercial performance across sponsorship, the Club's kit deal and general merchandising activity;

COMMERCIAL AND SPONSORSHIP REVENUES PLUMMETED EVEN BEFORE THE RELEGATION, OLD SPONSORS DID NOT RENEW, AND NO NEW SPONSORS WERE FOUND

(f) will seek to enhance the fan experience at Ewood Park itself on match days (and non match days) and to maximise season ticket sales and any remaining match day ticket sales; and

ATMOSPHERE AND ATTENDANCES HAVE REACHED 30 YEAR LOWS, SEASON TICKET SALES ARE LESS THAN HALF OF WHAT THEY WERE AT THE TIME OF TAKEOVER

(g) intends to improve the Club’s media platforms (for example the Club's TV channel) and to become more active in the social media space).

ABSOLUTELY NO ACTION HAS TAKEN PLACE IN THIS AREA WHATSOEVER, BESIDES THE REPORTED SPECIAL DIRECT FEED INSTALLED IN THE RAO RESIDENCE FOR THEM TO WATCH MATCHES LIVE

In line with this, pursuant to the terms of the Share Purchase Agreement, Venky's also has entered into the following contractual commitments with BRFCI and the Club:

(a) the principal activity of Blackburn Rovers will continue at all times to be that of a professional football club;

SEEMS MORE LIKE A THREE RING CIRCUS, BUT OK...

(B) the current President, Vice Presidents and Honorary Vice Presidents of Blackburn Rovers will not be removed from those positions before June 2011 without the prior written consent of those individuals;

MET THIS ONE

© the statue of Jack Walker outside Ewood Park will be kept in a good state of repair and will not be moved to a different location, obscured or have its prominence diluted without BRFCI’s prior written consent; and

MEETING THIS ONE SO FAR

(d) the name of the stand at Ewood Park currently known as the Jack Walker Stand will not be changed without BRFCI's prior written consent.

MEETING THIS ONE SO FAR

The Board of Blackburn Rovers welcomes Venky’s intentions regarding Blackburn Rovers’ employees, locations and operation of the Club set out in this paragraph and paragraph 8 below.

Commenting on the Offer, Anuradha J Desai, the Chairperson of Venky's, said:

We are very proud to be associated with Blackburn Rovers, a team with whom we share many values and ambitions. Going forward we plan to focus on leveraging the global influence in establishing Blackburn Rovers as a truly global brand. We will absolutely respect the Jack Walker legacy and will be actively supporting the organisation to ensure that Blackburn Rovers remains one of the best run clubs within the Premier League. We are particularly pleased that the deal has full support of the Walker Trustees, the Chairman and the management team who will of course remain in place with our full support."

There's an old saying.

"If you have to ask the price of something you can't afford it."

Seneca: Company with English owners without a pot to **** in in terms of owning a major football Club but with the possibility of introducing some serious backers.

Probiz: Company with Indian owners without a pot to **** in in terms of owning a major football Club but with the possibility of introducing serious backers.

Would that be a fair summation?

If Probiz are liked by the venkys then surly that's a clear sign they shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the club, even having there name on the shirt is taking the pee

It all smacks of intolerable arrogance. What can we (Venkys) do to promote their brand worldwide. Buy a cut price PL club. How unlucky were we? They have too many irons in other fires. The family wanted a prize poodle. To a large extent they had one - well run club blah blah. So what changed? Heads were turned by greedy self-indulgent agents, advisors, call them collectively "leaches". They turfed out quality, replaced with sycophants, and the grand experiment soon failed.

We've revisited this time & time again. They sit there with fingers in ears, as they are promised success at every turn by the likes of SS.

They now have failure advised by shadow & shelf, and failure advised by SS (untried managers).

I try to run a business! I try to learn by mistakes......but the adage, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, surely has the most hind sighted application to these clowns!

What rot is Singh feeding them......we on the verge of back to back relegations, a la Wolves.....what is their motivation to keep us. At least if they told us I could try to understand. Otherwise, why toy with failure? We are now a rescue dog!

Rev, you are aware that both Seneca and Rovers Trust have been banging down Venkys door in an almost literal sense for over 12 months now, right? That's what you call hopping around in the background? What are they supposed to do, go out in public and say a number? Where is that going to get you? I think it is highly unfair for you to come out and say something like that when you offer no alternative or suggestion as to how you would go about it were you in a position similar to theirs. Let's hear how you would handle the situation then?

Thanks Dan for bailing me out -i think thats where i was going with my reply=badly!!

There has been talk that Wayne and the Ian's are actually talking even though its all separate betwen Seneca and the Trust.have you any thoughts on it? have you ever met the ian's or do you know much about Seneca and their credibility?

Here is an excerpt from the the actual agreement, if it hasn't already been posted elsewhere (All Caps are my commentary) Admittedly most of this is not legally enforceable due to the language and disclaimers used in the rest of the document, but the utter failure and/or disregard for the promises they made is hard to swallow:

The Venky's Board has given assurances to BRFCI that Venky's:

(a) will commit funds on a consistent and systematic basis to future transfer and/or loan activity;

NET ODD £20m PROFIT ON PLAYER TRADING SINCE 2010

( B) intends to continue to support the existing management team and staff, and that it is committed to the future development of, and investment in, the Club’s academy and youth infrastructure;

WHO IS LEFT BUT PAUL AGNEW? £1m WAS INVESTED IN THE ACADEMY GROUNDS THIS SEASON FOR THE NEW PITCH

© will continue to support, promote and extend the Club’s local community and CSR activities (VH and its subsidiaries have their own trust engaged in significant charitable work);

BRCT HAS SEEN MASSIVE LOSSES IN FUNDING DUE TO RELEGATION THAT HAS NOT BEEN REPLACED OR MATCHED BY FUNDING FROM VENKYS

DERIAN HOUSE HAS BEEN GIVEN IN-KIND DONATIONS IN THE FORM OF ADVERTISING SPACE FOR FREE AT EWOOD

(d) will seek to extend the Blackburn Rovers name and brand into India, the rest of south-east Asia and beyond;

ROVERS TOOK PART IN A PRESEASON TOURNAMENT IN 2011, AND PLAYED IN PUNE DURING THE 2011 SEASON.

(e) will seek to develop and improve commercial performance across sponsorship, the Club's kit deal and general merchandising activity;

COMMERCIAL AND SPONSORSHIP REVENUES PLUMMETED EVEN BEFORE THE RELEGATION, OLD SPONSORS DID NOT RENEW, AND NO NEW SPONSORS WERE FOUND

(f) will seek to enhance the fan experience at Ewood Park itself on match days (and non match days) and to maximise season ticket sales and any remaining match day ticket sales; and

ATMOSPHERE AND ATTENDANCES HAVE REACHED 30 YEAR LOWS, SEASON TICKET SALES ARE LESS THAN HALF OF WHAT THEY WERE AT THE TIME OF TAKEOVER

(g) intends to improve the Club’s media platforms (for example the Club's TV channel) and to become more active in the social media space).

ABSOLUTELY NO ACTION HAS TAKEN PLACE IN THIS AREA WHATSOEVER, BESIDES THE REPORTED SPECIAL DIRECT FEED INSTALLED IN THE RAO RESIDENCE FOR THEM TO WATCH MATCHES LIVE

In line with this, pursuant to the terms of the Share Purchase Agreement, Venky's also has entered into the following contractual commitments with BRFCI and the Club:

(a) the principal activity of Blackburn Rovers will continue at all times to be that of a professional football club;

SEEMS MORE LIKE A THREE RING CIRCUS, BUT OK...

( B) the current President, Vice Presidents and Honorary Vice Presidents of Blackburn Rovers will not be removed from those positions before June 2011 without the prior written consent of those individuals;

MET THIS ONE

© the statue of Jack Walker outside Ewood Park will be kept in a good state of repair and will not be moved to a different location, obscured or have its prominence diluted without BRFCI’s prior written consent; and

MEETING THIS ONE SO FAR

(d) the name of the stand at Ewood Park currently known as the Jack Walker Stand will not be changed without BRFCI's prior written consent.

MEETING THIS ONE SO FAR

The Board of Blackburn Rovers welcomes Venky’s intentions regarding Blackburn Rovers’ employees, locations and operation of the Club set out in this paragraph and paragraph 8 below.

Commenting on the Offer, Anuradha J Desai, the Chairperson of Venky's, said:

We are very proud to be associated with Blackburn Rovers, a team with whom we share many values and ambitions. Going forward we plan to focus on leveraging the global influence in establishing Blackburn Rovers as a truly global brand. We will absolutely respect the Jack Walker legacy and will be actively supporting the organisation to ensure that Blackburn Rovers remains one of the best run clubs within the Premier League. We are particularly pleased that the deal has full support of the Walker Trustees, the Chairman and the management team who will of course remain in place with our full support."

Thanks Dan for bailing me out -i think thats where i was going with my reply=badly!!

There has been talk that Wayne and the Ian's are actually talking even though its all separate betwen Seneca and the Trust.have you any thoughts on it? have you ever met the ian's or do you know much about Seneca and their credibility?

Rovers Trust and the two Ian's have had open and constructive dialogue for some time now. We are keen to work together to find a solution to this massive problem our club has. I have had a chance to meet Mr. Battersby on a couple of occasions at Ewood when I have been back to Blackburn on Trust business, and he appears a proper businessman and a proper Rovers supporter. But I don't think anyone was ever questioning that, he has earned his reputation as such in both areas.

The thing everyone has to remember is that it wouldn't be Seneca buying the club, but rather a Seneca-led consortium of investors, and if Rovers Trust likes the kind of investors being brought into that consortium, then we would love to be able to support it and be an active part of it. From my brief impressions, I would hope that Mr. Battersby could be trusted to bring in the right kind of investors.

This is all speculation and hypothesising though at the moment.

What is the involvement of Ilyas Khan? Or has he backed off somewhat now?

If I remember correctly the gist of his involvement was such that Khan was being rumoured as the Seneca consortium's choice for Chairman should a bid led by them go forward. Khan commented in the media noncommittally when asked saying that Rovers were a class act club and that he would be honoured to be considered for such a position.

The big question though, how can anyone ever get the Rao family to communicate with them or even acknowledge them?

They don't appear to understand that if someone writes you a letter/email a typical response can be to reply.

They keep themselves to themselves and presumably just liaise with Shebby and their own 'advisers'.

• Backroom

The big question though, how can anyone ever get the Rao family to communicate with them or even acknowledge them?

They don't appear to understand that if someone writes you a letter/email a typical response can be to reply.

They keep themselves to themselves and presumably just liaise with Shebby and their own 'advisers'.

Entirely possible Agnew's rigged their computers to redirect all e-mail to himself.

'Takeover? Delete.'

Venky's have expressed no inclination to sell therefore I assume you'd put in a sensible subject to contract offer based on what you thought the Club was worth. If that didn't work I assume you'd raise your offer until Venky's became agreeable. Obviously if on inspection of the books there are liabilities you were not aware of you'd adjust your offer accordingly.

If Venky's don't actually want to sell, why should they entertain anyone on a "Give us the Club for nothing" or "Let us look at the books and we'll let you know if we want to give you anything for it" basis? Given the aggro and expense the Club is causing them (self inflicted admittedly) I find it very hard to believe they would actually turn down a serious and realistic offer despite all the claims they won't talk to anybody etc.

Apologies if I'm misreading the situation, but it surely shouldn't be that complicated for a serious suitor if they had appropriate funding.

That's the nub of the matter isn't it. Who would those investors be?

Good question, but with Seneca leading it, you would have to say that they would be worthy of a higher confidence level from the community than a Venkys-led Probiz consortium, wouldn't you say?

Venky's have expressed no inclination to sell therefore I assume you'd put in a sensible subject to contract offer based on what you thought the Club was worth. If that didn't work I assume you'd raise your offer until Venky's became agreeable. Obviously if on inspection of the books there are liabilities you were not aware of you'd adjust your offer accordingly.

If Venky's don't actually want to sell, why should they entertain anyone on a "Give us the Club for nothing" or "Let us look at the books and we'll let you know if we want to give you anything for it" basis? Given the aggro and expense the Club is causing them (self inflicted admittedly) I find it very hard to believe they would actually turn down a serious and realistic offer despite all the claims they won't talk to anybody etc.

Apologies if I'm misreading the situation, but it surely shouldn't be that complicated for a serious suitor if they had appropriate funding.

Apology accepted, Rev. That's just not how it works with mergers and acquisitions, and I'm not trying to be patronising. It isn't like buying a used car or bidding for a Rovers shirt on eBay or even buying a house. The sums are much larger than this, and therefore there is a lot more sizing up that is done between semi-interested parties. You can't go and say you are going to make a conditional offer, and just keep upping the number with the caveat that you will have to take a look at the books first, just as you can't go up to the owners of a multi million pound enterprise and ask them what they want for it. Due diligence is part of the process of coming to that number.

That process doesn't even begin unless the owner is interested in selling, number one, and number two, they have to know that you are serious enough and have the resources to complete the deal once they let you start fingering in their accounts.

Just as you don't want unserious buyers coming and test driving the used ferrari you have on the market, thrashing the clutch and the brakes, revving the stuffing out of the engine with no intention of buying, just wanting a joy ride, you don't want a bunch of people looking at your accounts who have no hope of completing a transaction that can be mutually agreeable.

I don't know where you get the idea that anyone is asking Venkys to give the club away for free. Just because the (correct) observation is continuously being made that the club's value is decreasing at an alarming rate doesn't mean that they are asking for Venkys to give it away for free. It is basically a warning that if they don't come to the table soon with someone, it actually WILL be worthless when they finally decide they've had enough. And if they can't reach an agreement with any potential buyer and they want to get out, then the real asset stripping may begin, as well as administration after that, etc.

So I hope you can begin to see why the supporters, Rovers Trust, Seneca, local and regional government officials, etc are up in arms in almost panic mode, trying to shake Venkys into doing the sensible thing.

Thanks for your detailed analysis Dan. Like you say I think most Rovers fans would trust a Seneca approved group of investors, than a Venky's/Probiz one. Has there been any dialogue at all between the trust/Seneca or are the Venky's stonewalling both groups completely? Or are there any signs that they may be coming around to the Idea of opening dialogue at all?

• Backroom

If I remember correctly the gist of his involvement was such that Khan was being rumoured as the Seneca consortium's choice for Chairman should a bid led by them go forward. Khan commented in the media noncommittally when asked saying that Rovers were a class act club and that he would be honoured to be considered for such a position.

Good question, but with Seneca leading it, you would have to say that they would be worthy of a higher confidence level from the community than a Venkys-led Probiz consortium, wouldn't you say?

Apology accepted, Rev. That's just not how it works with mergers and acquisitions, and I'm not trying to be patronising. It isn't like buying a used car or bidding for a Rovers shirt on eBay or even buying a house. The sums are much larger than this, and therefore there is a lot more sizing up that is done between semi-interested parties. You can't go and say you are going to make a conditional offer, and just keep upping the number with the caveat that you will have to take a look at the books first, just as you can't go up to the owners of a multi million pound enterprise and ask them what they want for it. Due diligence is part of the process of coming to that number.

That process doesn't even begin unless the owner is interested in selling, number one, and number two, they have to know that you are serious enough and have the resources to complete the deal once they let you start fingering in their accounts.

Just as you don't want unserious buyers coming and test driving the used ferrari you have on the market, thrashing the clutch and the brakes, revving the stuffing out of the engine with no intention of buying, just wanting a joy ride, you don't want a bunch of people looking at your accounts who have no hope of completing a transaction that can be mutually agreeable.

I don't know where you get the idea that anyone is asking Venkys to give the club away for free. Just because the (correct) observation is continuously being made that the club's value is decreasing at an alarming rate doesn't mean that they are asking for Venkys to give it away for free. It is basically a warning that if they don't come to the table soon with someone, it actually WILL be worthless when they finally decide they've had enough. And if they can't reach an agreement with any potential buyer and they want to get out, then the real asset stripping may begin, as well as administration after that, etc.

So I hope you can begin to see why the supporters, Rovers Trust, Seneca, local and regional government officials, etc are up in arms in almost panic mode, trying to shake Venkys into doing the sensible thing.

Ta for clearing it all up Dan :) If it weren't my club it'd be interesting. Because it IS my club, I just hope Venkys come to their senses soon.

The only way IMO for anyone to achieve a sale of BRFC is to work with the Walker Trust, to force a sale from Venkys through the warrants IB mentioned last night. Surely the Walker Trust would be willing to do this providing assurances were given that a third party (Rover Trust,IB or any other consortium) would buy the club from the Walker Trust once they had wrestled it from Venkys clutches. The Walker Trust made a massive mistake selling to the Venkys, the least they could do is help get it back,

This is my view also. I also think it is possible the only route left to get venkys out of the club. Protests, boycotts have all fallen on deaf ears. Pressure should, if possible be applied upon the walker trust.

Thanks for your detailed analysis Dan. Like you say I think most Rovers fans would trust a Seneca approved group of investors, than a Venky's/Probiz one. Has there been any dialogue at all between the trust/Seneca or are the Venky's stonewalling both groups completely? Or are there any signs that they may be coming around to the Idea of opening dialogue at all?

I don't know much about this venkys / probiz thing. Can anybody tell us more about this - via PM if need be.

I don't know much about this venkys / probiz thing. Can anybody tell us more about this - via PM if need be.

I think it was Kamy who said on Twitter that IF Venky's were to sell a stake in Rovers it would be to Probiz in his opinion. The thinking was I believe that Venkys would still keep a stake, for advertising and brand awareness purposses for their company. Whilst Probiz would bring some investors to the table. (this is all a hypothetical, but I think this was the idea being suggested)

There is one thing that has been bugging me for a while. Liverpool's board managed to force through a sale to rid themselves of Hicks and Gillett as owners.

Liverpool's situation was different in that Hicks and Gillett were seeking buyers for the club but didn't want to accept NESV's low offer. The board however did accept the offer and despite Hicks and Gillett trying to use the law to stop the sale - Liverpool's board got their way.

I am not privvy to all the finer points of our current boards power to do the same. But, say a group/individual/consortium wanted to buy Rovers and submitted an offer to the board - could Shaw, Agnew, Coar and Silk force a sale?

Or (as I suspect is the case) have Venkys got things sewn up so tightly that we are screwed until they decide to sell up/fold the club?

#clutchingatstraws

There is one thing that has been bugging me for a while. Liverpool's board managed to force through a sale to rid themselves of Hicks and Gillett as owners.

Liverpool's situation was different in that Hicks and Gillett were seeking buyers for the club but didn't want to accept NESV's low offer. The board however did accept the offer and despite Hicks and Gillett trying to use the law to stop the sale - Liverpool's board got their way.

I am not privvy to all the finer points of our current boards power to do the same. But, say a group/individual/consortium wanted to buy Rovers and submitted an offer to the board - could Shaw, Agnew, Coar and Silk force a sale?

Or (as I suspect is the case) have Venkys got things sewn up so tightly that we are screwed until they decide to sell up/fold the club?

#clutchingatstraws

Interesting angle on things. I would have thought for something like that to happen at Rovers - any potential buyer would need the backing of the current board.

Archived