BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Battersby and Currie

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seriously doubt that. Why make wild speculation without any factual basis? Especially when you know what this board is like.

Whichever way you want to spin it this club has benefitted greatly from the efforts of one particular family over virtually a full generation. It's arguable that their contribution even exceeded that of John Lewis. With the club never being financially self sustainable such a situation could never continue indefinitely and is the reason for my belief that lancashire should be represented by just one club formed by amalgamating the current Lancashire minnows.

Needless to say that if I had been Jack Walker circa 1990 that is exactly what I would have done! BWFC, Blackpool, PNE and Burnley were all 3rd or 4th Div and on their knees financially. All the old 'never over my dead bodies' dinosaurs would by now be be dead or dying and the club would be vibrant and well supported by anyone under the age of 40. It needs to be done.

Absolute bullkean. All the kids would be supporting Man Utd, as most of them do anyway.

I live in a city where two Highland League minnows (with over 100 years history each) were amalgamated just a few years ago. Despite considerable on field success, the atmosphere in the ground is just painful. And I do mean painful, embarrassing in fact. The gates are woeful, and the 'crowd' can be easily out sung by a couple of coaches of away supporters. It has to be seen to be believed, there are barely any songs, no pockets of noise and the lack of history makes the whole club seem hollow. The polite clap when ICT score is just a joke.

You can't create a club with six FA cups, two league championships, a league cup, a history that helped invent the game as we know it and a fairy tale made by Jack.

Please stop going on about your daft pipe dream. If Rovers are too small for you then go and switch allegiances to Man U or Real Madrid. Or alternatively if you want a fake club with no atmosphere then I believe MKDons are always looking for new fans. Nobody, nobody, nobody who follows the clubs you mentions wants this. NOBODY - it's a dead duck and I don't want to hear it again.

Thank you!

Absolute bullkean. All the kids would be supporting Man Utd, as most of them do anyway.

I live in a city where two Highland League minnows (with over 100 years history each) were amalgamated just a few years ago. Despite considerable on field success, the atmosphere in the ground is just painful. And I do mean painful, embarrassing in fact. The gates are woeful, and the 'crowd' can be easily out sung by a couple of coaches of away supporters. It has to be seen to be believed, there are barely any songs, no pockets of noise and the lack of history makes the whole club seem hollow. The polite clap when ICT score is just a joke.

You can't create a club with six FA cups, two league championships, a league cup, a history that helped invent the game as we know it and a fairy tale made by Jack.

Please stop going on about your daft pipe dream. If Rovers are too small for you then go and switch allegiances to Man U or Real Madrid. Or alternatively if you want a fake club with no atmosphere then I believe MKDons are always looking for new fans. Nobody, nobody, nobody who follows the clubs you mentions wants this. NOBODY - it's a dead duck and I don't want to hear it again.

Thank you!

+100

If by some miracle this happened i'd be off to AFC Fylde or Fleetwood or Chorley. Maybe these 3 clubs could join up and be the rivals of this Massive Lancashire club.

Thank you!

+10000

It's been said before but the fact remains anyone wanting to support a massive 'franchise' type operation will just go to Old Trafford as thousands already do, it's there, ready and tailor made for those types of fans. Genuine fans would support whatever shape or form remains of their team and the rest would give up. It's absolute bullkean and will never happen and IF it did it would just never take off. He only posts this to wind people up (it works lol).

The only time i could see something like this taking shape would be if something was done to try and build a club in the area to attract the Asian communities from Lancashire and beyond and give them their own club. Oh wait...oh @#/?...... :)

Thank you!

+ 1 Googleplex.

Thank you!

So say we all!

Thank you!

Bravo sir!

Game, set and match. Though you'll probably get a nice, facile little riposte chortling along at it's own worldly wit.

Thank you!

Oh so true, Worked with a mad keen Burnley fan 30 odd years ago who thought the same as Theno but his take on it was a Lancsashire Utd but based at Turf moor because they had the Superior ground in them days. It might happen in America but it is nether going to happen here despite the sound financial logic behind it.

Thank you!

A very good post.

But...

If both of those minnows had gone to the wall who would these people have supported (Rangers? Celtic?) gone to watch at all (no-one?). Sometimes it's a case of adapt or die.

Personally, I cannot imagine for one minute standing side by side with a (former) Burnley fan and cheering on a team together (or ex-Preston and ex-Blackpool) - and he certainly won't do that at Ewood Park. So we would need a purpose based stadium somewhere central.

From this map you would be looking centrally at Deepdale or Ewood or, if we build, Samlesbury or somewhere just North, on the M6 corridor. (Although if the FA got involved they would probably insist on it being based in Lancaster - much like they prefer a London-based national stadium, rather then a central, fan-based one.

map_lancashire.gif

And everyone commutes - Fleetwood, Blackpool, Morecambe, Preston, Blackburn, Burnley, Accrington, Chorley, Clitheroe. This in itself would create new problems. Bolton may want in, but all of a sudden, the completion just became less in number so maybe Gartside might want to be one of fewer teams giving them superior position. So this stick or twist mentality may set in.

But, in any case, this isn't a short term fix, you would be looking at several generations (Blackburn children are being born in Burnley now - much as it saddens me) and possibly a trophy win before people would begin to accept it. Although if they were playing in the PL against United, City and Liverpool, it would be considerably quicker, in sure. With respect, ICT probably suffer, not just because of the lack of history but the quality of football and lack of media interest / marketing. Certainly geography seems to be on their side.

If ICT won the Scottish Cup then the history book starts and a new wave of fans will become interested. Being from Inverness, I'm not sure how often you get to Ewood but I assure you the atmosphere sounds just as quiet despite all of our history and pride. Okay, we've had any spirit throttled out of us by Venkys actions but still, I've lost count of the number of times away fans have taunted "Your Support is @#/? @#/?".

I suspect it will take the death of one or two Lancashire clubs before this could possible happen anyway but I'd also imagine fans would be parochial in their efforts to rebuild rather than seeing a bigger picture. At that point the only real flaw in Gordon's argument is getting someone to 'Think Big' in that context. Now there's a challenge.

Merely surmising as indicated by my question marks.

Not unlike yourself who similarly has no idea, given the cloak of secrecy surrounding the parties.

However still worthy of consideration for a Rovers' supporters forum given the plight BRFC are in as result, don't you agree?

I'd still put your comments down as speculative mischief making without any foundation or recourse to facts.

Thank you!

Your head is on the wrong way. Try to look forward not back all the time.

Supporting a relatively successful club is something that the good folk of Inverness have obviously never been used to. It's not SAD syndrome that's affecting you all is it? No matter... I'm sure the under 25's will be loving it.

A very good post.

But...

If both of those minnows had gone to the wall who would these people have supported (Rangers? Celtic?) gone to watch at all (no-one?). Sometimes it's a case of adapt or die.

Personally, I cannot imagine for one minute standing side by side with a (former) Burnley fan and cheering on a team together (or ex-Preston and ex-Blackpool) - and he certainly won't do that at Ewood Park. So we would need a purpose based stadium somewhere central.

From this map you would be looking centrally at Deepdale or Ewood or, if we build, Samlesbury or somewhere just North, on the M6 corridor. (Although if the FA got involved they would probably insist on it being based in Lancaster - much like they prefer a London-based national stadium, rather then a central, fan-based one.

map_lancashire.gif

And everyone commutes - Fleetwood, Blackpool, Morecambe, Preston, Blackburn, Burnley, Accrington, Chorley, Clitheroe. This in itself would create new problems. Bolton may want in, but all of a sudden, the completion just became less in number so maybe Gartside might want to be one of fewer teams giving them superior position. So this stick or twist mentality may set in.

But, in any case, this isn't a short term fix, you would be looking at several generations (Blackburn children are being born in Burnley now - much as it saddens me) and possibly a trophy win before people would begin to accept it. Although if they were playing in the PL against United, City and Liverpool, it would be considerably quicker, in sure. With respect, ICT probably suffer, not just because of the lack of history but the quality of football and lack of media interest / marketing. Certainly geography seems to be on their side.

If ICT won the Scottish Cup then the history book starts and a new wave of fans will become interested. Being from Inverness, I'm not sure how often you get to Ewood but I assure you the atmosphere sounds just as quiet despite all of our history and pride. Okay, we've had any spirit throttled out of us by Venkys actions but still, I've lost count of the number of times away fans have taunted "Your Support is @#/? @#/?".

I suspect it will take the death of one or two Lancashire clubs before this could possible happen anyway but I'd also imagine fans would be parochial in their efforts to rebuild rather than seeing a bigger picture. At that point the only real flaw in Gordon's argument is getting someone to 'Think Big' in that context. Now there's a challenge.

Inverness Caley and Inverness Thistle, and a third Inverness team - Clachnacuddin (still going strong in the highland league), all existed fine at a lower level. The rise through the Scottish leagues of ICT, shows that both the traditional Inverness clubs might have done well in the Scottish leagues. As far as I'm aware going bust was not on the agenda, just a determination to get the joke that is the Scottish League to accept some highland clubs into it's non-pyramid based structure. Anyway I'm a Lancastrian ex-pat so I'm no expert.

Anyway, believe me a 0-0 draw at Ewood is 100x the experience of an ICT home win. Trust me on that, I don't get to Ewood much but the place is electric compared to the new club experience. If you think atmosphere now is an embarrassment then I promise you it would be nothing compared to the visit of a proud and authentic Yorkshire minnow like Barnsley or Huddersfield to your new Lancashire Plastic FC.

Also, it's worth pointing out that your concept of 'Lancashire' is a construct of 1970s central government cock-up, and doesn't even include BWFC. The ancient county of Lancashire includes Manchester, Liverpool and Wigan. As I stated before the club you're contemplating already exists and they fittingly play right next to the Lancashire Cricket Club. They are supported by kids all over the North West, have massive gates, a tremendous stadium and the on field glory your so desperate to experience. They are not quite called Lancashire United, but the name is pretty damn close. Go support them - you'd never have to put up with the threat of relegation to the third tier again.

Blackburn, Burnley, Bolton, Wigan, Oldham, Preston, Blackpool are all viable clubs who can potentially enjoy the occasional era of success. Supporting Bury, Rochdale, Accy or Morecambe must be a tough experience, but I expect their fans manage their expectations accordingly.

If chasing glory is your prime objective then as I say your Lancashire United is already established for you, conveniently located next to the cricket ground.

For those of us who respect our history, feel free to gloat at our lowly league positions from the heady heights of the PL and Old Trafford's upper tiers. It's nothing we're not used to.

With the greatest of respect IR, I think you are living in the past.

For me, it's not about glory hunting. Do you think I'd be a Rovers supporter in the 21st century if that was the case?

If BRFC were on a good financial footing and competing, we wouldn't be having this discussion. In fact, I'd rather have a northern league with all of the teams we've both mentioned than compete as one county in the current league system but financially it would make at lot of sense if we could some way around the tribalism issue. When a market or business is struggling, mergers are frequently formed. I find it very hard to believe that the two Inverness clubs were thriving with healthy fan bases, and one day just 'decided' to club together, rather than both going it alone, destined to reach the top together. Even more crazy and belligerent is the case of Dundee and Dundee United (ironic). They too could be a force if the joined together and avoided the two stadium costs.

dundee_dens_park.jpg

I'm sure they both have proud histories but dear oh dear, that must be an opportunity missed. Consider too that one of those will be empty EVERY week!

I'm a Blackburnian but also a Lancastrian and I can see plenty of flaws with the idea but it does make a compelling point of debate.

Your head is on the wrong way. Try to look forward not back all the time.

That kind of attitude was prevalent when the Communists tore down just about every architectural masterpiece of imperialist Russia and replaced them with soulless ill conceived concrete monstrosities. I feel it's a very fitting analogy for your own tradition busting wet dream.

Hopefully democracy will prevail, and the wishes of supporters will always override the madcap fantasys of would be totalitarian egoists, yearning for glory and psychologically incapable of dealing with temporary periods of failure.

Not alluding to anyone in particular of course!

Seems reading down that there are any number of dinosaurs plodding around here seeking extinction. Excellent points made by Stuart excepted. Good post Stuart and nice to see we have a person capable of some blue sky thinking on this board.... btw standing next to Burnley and PNE fans supporting the same team? How about England fans abroad?

So gentlemen instead of ganging up to put the boot in please feel free to tell me how this or any club in this long term seriously depressed area are ever going to see the success that we have enjoyed without in Alan Sugars's words 'an idiot with a death wish' spunking the equivalent of a lottery win in every year? Oh and all on much less than half price admission prices of course. :lol: Freedom of contract and ridiculous wage demands mean that we can no longer rely on the traditional income stream from player sales to the same extent as we used to before good ol Johnny B screwed it all up.

You have all been so spoiled by Jack Walkers legacy that are incapable of thinking in a logical manner.

Inverness Caley and Inverness Thistle, and a third Inverness team - Clachnacuddin (still going strong in the highland league), all existed fine at a lower level. The rise through the Scottish leagues of ICT, shows that both the traditional Inverness clubs might have done well in the Scottish leagues. As far as I'm aware going bust was not on the agenda, just a determination to get the joke that is the Scottish League to accept some highland clubs into it's non-pyramid based structure. Anyway I'm a Lancastrian ex-pat so I'm no expert.

Anyway, believe me a 0-0 draw at Ewood is 100x the experience of an ICT home win. Trust me on that, I don't get to Ewood much but the place is electric compared to the new club experience. If you think atmosphere now is an embarrassment then I promise you it would be nothing compared to the visit of a proud and authentic Yorkshire minnow like Barnsley or Huddersfield to your new Lancashire Plastic FC.

Also, it's worth pointing out that your concept of 'Lancashire' is a construct of 1970s central government cock-up, and doesn't even include BWFC. The ancient county of Lancashire includes Manchester, Liverpool and Wigan. As I stated before the club you're contemplating already exists and they fittingly play right next to the Lancashire Cricket Club. They are supported by kids all over the North West, have massive gates, a tremendous stadium and the on field glory your so desperate to experience. They are not quite called Lancashire United, but the name is pretty damn close. Go support them - you'd never have to put up with the threat of relegation to the third tier again.

Blackburn, Burnley, Bolton, Wigan, Oldham, Preston, Blackpool are all viable clubs who can potentially enjoy the occasional era of success. Supporting Bury, Rochdale, Accy or Morecambe must be a tough experience, but I expect their fans manage their expectations accordingly.

If chasing glory is your prime objective then as I say your Lancashire United is already established for you, conveniently located next to the cricket ground.

For those of us who respect our history, feel free to gloat at our lowly league positions from the heady heights of the PL and Old Trafford's upper tiers. It's nothing we're not used to.

The words of a very bitter person. It must be SAD! Think positive ffs! Rem the clocks go forward next week! :tu:

That kind of attitude was prevalent when the Communists tore down just about every architectural masterpiece of imperialist Russia and replaced them with soulless ill conceived concrete monstrosities. I feel it's a very fitting analogy for your own tradition busting wet dream.

Hopefully democracy will prevail, and the wishes of supporters will always override the madcap fantasys of would be totalitarian egoists, yearning for glory and psychologically incapable of dealing with temporary periods of failure.

Not alluding to anyone in particular of course!

Did they? Obviously you haven't travelled. The likes of Talin, Prague, St Petersberg, Budapest etc etc completely dispel that theory and especially so when one considers .... or rather remembers the tearing down all the buildings of charm around Blackburn town Centre in the 60's and 70's. Even the magnificent old Tech was destined for destruction in the 70's if the council (Labour? is there a link perhaps?) had had it's way.

Anyway lets not sidetrack the debate.

"Anyway lets not sidetrack the debate."

Of all your many charms, an inability to see the irony in your own ramblings is perhaps my favourite.

I also apply the above observation to your comments on me being bitter and a dinosaur.

And for the record, I will post no further replies as I won't be drawn into an exchange of insults with you. Your putdowns lack the required grace, humour or respect that is necessary for a worthwhile messageboard debate.

Bye.

Seems reading down that there are any number of dinosaurs plodding around here seeking extinction. Excellent points made by Stuart excepted. Good post Stuart and nice to see we have a person capable of some blue sky thinking on this board.... btw standing next to Burnley and PNE fans supporting the same team? How about England fans abroad?

So gentlemen instead of ganging up to put the boot in please feel free to tell me how this or any club in this long term seriously depressed area are ever going to see the success that we have enjoyed without in Alan Sugars's words 'an idiot with a death wish' spunking the equivalent of a lottery win in every year? Oh and all on much less than half price admission prices of course. :lol: Freedom of contract and ridiculous wage demands mean that we can no longer rely on the traditional income stream from player sales to the same extent as we used to before good ol Johnny B screwed it all up.

You have all been so spoiled by Jack Walkers legacy that are incapable of thinking in a logical manner.

The words of a very bitter person. It must be SAD! Think positive ffs! Rem the clocks go forward next week! :tu:

Listen Theno, the beauty of living in a free country is that, within reason, you can do anything you want. So why don't you and Stu start up your very own club? Just think, in years to come you may both be remembered , by legions of Lancashire United fans, in the same way we remember Arthur Constantine and John Lewis. Personally I couldn't give a stuff about Lancashire, for me it's Blackburn all the way ... so even if it's down to one man and a dog supporting the Rovers, I'll buy a dog and be that man. I really don't want to read any more of your wishy-washy Lancs Ure rubbish on a BLACKBURN ROVERS message board. Give it a rest.

Archived