BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Lancashire United-Pros and Cons

Guest Norbert

Guest Norbert

The Robert Coar thread has a lot of debate about Gordon's long running Lancashire United thing. I thought it should have it's own thread as it has little to do with Mr. Coar.

For what it is worth I am not at all sure it would work in this country. By closing down Preston, us, Burnley etc. you'd be ending over 100 years of rivalry and history, and asking former 'enemies' to sing for the same team. It would work in a franchise based league, like the NFL,or the sudden popularity of the IPL which was only created a few years ago. Our teams, and the leagues have been around too long for such a sudden change. There is also the point of how the teams would merge as people/organisations can only own 1 team.

So to sum up, there is a logic behind the idea, merging several smaller teams into one bigger team but football often doesn't follow cold logic as we sadly know in recent history.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz................Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..........................Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzz....................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.............zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.........................

If the football league was due to start in August from scratch then the idea of a 'Lancashire United' would seem a decent idea. A population of c.750,000 supporting the one team, with gates of 40,000 plus would make it very competitive...however the football league isn't starting in 2013, it started in 1888 and with 125 years of history, rivalry and everything that goes with it makes the idea a non-starter amongst (IMO) 99% of the fans.

If the football league was due to start in August from scratch then the idea of a 'Lancashire United' would seem a decent idea. A population of c.750,000 supporting the one team, with gates of 40,000 plus would make it very competitive...however the football league isn't starting in 2013, it started in 1888 and with 125 years of history, rivalry and everything that goes with it makes the idea a non-starter amongst (IMO) 99% of the fans.

Spot on

Everyone on this board would prefer a thriving, competitive BRFC but some can see a dwindling fanbase/club/town and think beyond. The only hope is that all of the new further educational facilities being built in town bring lots of young people to the area. However, with PL clubs only a train ride away, not many are likely to be interested in third tier football with bitter fans.

We seem to be back in the position we were before Jack came and with no prospect of another local business man being willing, able or even allowed (FFP) to do it again. Without this, we are reliant on the money generated through sponsorship and the turnstiles. With people abandoning Ewood in their droves, out if an already small catchment area, the only way forward seems to be to widen the catchment area.

The alternative is lower division football against Bury, Stanley, Morecambe and Preston, while Burnley limp along without us. If they don't survive this year, Wigan could follow - certainly the have an interesting future post-Whelan.

I don't expect it will happen any time soon from a grassroots level unless 10,000 fans rock up at a non-League newco - can't see it.

Perhaps it needs Dave Whelan to begin talks with local clubs to rename and relocate Wigan more centrally (MK Dons-style) - failing that he is likely to try to sell to avoid leaving an albatross for his family.

There are some good people trying to keep football clubs scraping by with innovative ideas to squeeze as much as they can out of their 'own' townsfolk - in a time of austerity and decline. It's such a shame to see them struggle when it could be so much more rewarding.

Meanwhile, we fans can't even see beyond our boundary walls when it comes to watching Lancashire football clubs play. Due to 'tribal rules'.

My cousin's step-son gets to go to watch Burnley and Rovers and enjoys both (he's 7). I hope he doesn't have that enthusiasm "grown-out" of him due to peer pressure.

In fact, I'm thinking of sacking my season ticket and instead taking in a pick of games across Lancashire - at all levels - next season. Maybe I could make a social club out of it. Who'd be up for that?

At the top of our power and strength we still could not fill the Ground unless Man U or Liverpool came and bought all the tickets.

The combination of BRFC and PNE is worth investigating -particularly whilst both teams are so much in the doldrums and really with little hope.

Hemmings is the one to ignite the idea -we are a rudderless ship.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz................Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..........................Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzz....................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.............zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.........................

Too much for you to take in? Bless.

Night night.

You can go down with the ship then. I'll carry on looking for a place in a lifeboat so my kids and their kids will have a team to be proud of instead of a rag tag outfit playing down the scratting sheds..

I am a Blackburn Rovers fan end of subject for me !

I hope your kids aren't for their sakes.

At the top of our power and strength we still could not fill the Ground unless Man U or Liverpool came and bought all the tickets.

The combination of BRFC and PNE is worth investigating -particularly whilst both teams are so much in the doldrums and really with little hope.

Hemmings is the one to ignite the idea -we are a rudderless ship.

It would need someone with that financial muscle. Unfortunately Hemmings although he reportedly hates football and footballers would be coming from a Preston background. Jack's biggest mistake was not doing it when he came in and our neighbours were all in Div 3 and 4 and the new Lanky County would forever have a Bburn tinge..

I hope your kids aren't for their sakes.

Theno, with all due respect, my kids are Rovers fans, always will be.

If you want to fly your Lancs Utd kite go do it elsewhere.

What you propose means the end of BRFC. Shove it up your flute.

BRFC may end anyway. Let's be honest, if we were thriving we would not even be discussing it. Not yet anyway.

imagine the policing every week because imagine rovers ,burnley ,nobbers and blackpool fans meeting every week .

I'd wager they don't fight when they are supporting England and they meet with their colours on.

Another with no viable suggestions just out of hand criticism. You disappoint me Bob.

Oh and don't be to sure about your kids.... they could quite easily follow the lead set by your grandchildren who wont want anything to do with a bunch of losers trawling the semi pro leagues like BRFC. Lets be honest why would they?

BRFC may end anyway. Let's be honest, if we were thriving we would not even be discussing it. Not yet anyway.

Cue cries of 'if there is no BRFC then I won't bother watching football anymore'. Surely Lancs County is better for folk than being embittered until the day they die.

Guest Norbert

That's England though, and club football is separate in that respect. Frankly, the current Blackburn Rovers Football Club is almost dead to me for as long as the 'crooks' and the charlatans are in charge as they are destroying a community's football club with the knowledge that the spineless authorities will do nothing at all to offend their commercial masters. The horrible thing is that those responsible for the clubs' demise will get away with it.

Like I say, there is a logic to the idea, but the various club's fans will never unite in the right way. Even the colour of the home shirt would cause arguments.

That's England though, and club football is separate in that respect. Frankly, the current Blackburn Rovers Football Club is almost dead to me for as long as the 'crooks' and the charlatans are in charge as they are destroying a community's football club with the knowledge that the spineless authorities will do nothing at all to offend their commercial masters. The horrible thing is that those responsible for the clubs' demise will get away with it.

Like I say, there is a logic to the idea, but the various club's fans will never unite in the right way. Even the colour of the home shirt would cause arguments.

Red. No team wears red and it's the colour of the Red Rose. That Norbert is the least of the problems.

Archived