BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Lancashire United-Pros and Cons

Guest Norbert

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can go down with the ship then. I'll carry on looking for a place in a lifeboat so my kids and their kids will have a team to be proud of instead of a rag tag outfit playing down the scratting sheds..

I tried to offer a constructive opinion to the Lancashire United idea - because it wasn't the response you wanted doesn't mean you should take the hump. Have you floated the idea on the MB's of other clubs? I'm pretty sure the response would be similar to that on here.

You don't (well shouldn't) support a team because its successful, you should support it because you have an affinity with it. You seem to put the later before the former so I'm sure there are a couple of clubs in the old Lancashire/new Manchester who could satisfy your craving for success.

So this is where the surrender monkeys come to chat while the fans are on the road SUPPORTING THEIR CLUB. Note to admin .... can you ban these clowns from peddling their anti Blackburn Rovers propaganda. Note to the surrender monkeys ... get off our board ... you will NEVER kill Blackburn Rovers FC.

I tried to offer a constructive opinion to the Lancashire United idea - because it wasn't the response you wanted doesn't mean you should take the hump. Have you floated the idea on the MB's of other clubs? I'm pretty sure the response would be similar to that on here.

You don't (well shouldn't) support a team because its successful, you should support it because you have an affinity with it. You seem to put the later before the former so I'm sure there are a couple of clubs in the old Lancashire/new Manchester who could satisfy your craving for success.

It comes down to what people want out of football.

I'd hazard that there are a lot of Rovers fans who do so because they are a league club (many who did so - and now don't - because we were a PL club).

I wonder how many go to watch Mill Hill in the Pelle Menswear league instead of Rovers, because they have an affinity with the club?

It's the same principle.

We are all Rovers fans because John Lewis and Arthur Constantine got together in a pub with 15 other wealthy blokes and decided to form Blackburn's third eponymous town club. But for that, we may all be supporting Blackburn Olympic or Stanley FC. Rovers til I die may be true for us, but perhaps not for our children's children's children. They may be scouring the interweb for historic information about Jack Walker and a club called Blackburn Rovers - back in the days when every town could afford to have it's own team.

As there become fewer and fewer fans of each of the local clubs, it makes sense to start to see some of them merge. We keep hearing that football clubs are on the brink of folding and it's ultimately when fans desert the club that it finally ends. Clubs like Plymouth and Portsmouth may well have been lucky and have supporter bases who rally round. Our supporters - barring a select few - don't seem to be the rallying sort. Although maybe that will change if/when the time comes.

All I would say is, how long should people spend trying to revive Blackburn Rovers and how much thought / market research should go into using a BRFC league share into creating a Lancashire County Football Club. Football is tribal and there will be some locals who would never support Rovers and/or have a hatred of Manchester United (they are officially the most hated brand in the UK). There may however be a niche in the market for a less parochial club (an ironic statement if ever I wrote one). They key question would be: would a Lancashire brand attract more sponsorship and supporters (eventually) than a Blackburn brand?

So this is where the surrender monkeys come to chat while the fans are on the road SUPPORTING THEIR CLUB. Note to admin .... can you ban these clowns from peddling their anti Blackburn Rovers propaganda. Note to the surrender monkeys ... get off our board ... you will NEVER kill Blackburn Rovers FC.

Happy-clapper-in-chief, right on cue.

Ewood Spark, if that is indeed your real name, I really hope you are right and we are wrong.

Oh, and you think it's us killing the club? Just remember where those other three fingers are pointing...

Happy-clapper-in-chief, right on cue.

Ewood Spark, if that is indeed your real name, I really hope you are right and we are wrong.

Oh, and you think it's us killing the club? Just remember where those other three fingers are pointing...

Aye ... so while I was 'Happy-clapping' myself hoarse at Hillsborough you were busy designing new kits for your new la-la-land club. Get a grip, or better still get lost ... there is a big wide web out there .... go and take your grotesque idea out there and see how far you get.

Aye ... so while I was 'Happy-clapping' myself hoarse at Hillsborough you were busy designing new kits for your new la-la-land club. Get a grip, or better still get lost ... there is a big wide web out there .... go and take your grotesque idea out there and see how far you get.

Designing new kits? I didn't design it, bub, it already exists. As it goes, I was sat by the radio - another couple of hours of my life lost to following Rovers. Just because you've thrown more good money after bad, don't take your frustration out on me.

I've already said, it needs Whelan and co to do the business, and/or Rovers to go bust.

I've also always said that my preference is a thriving BRFC.

I appreciate this is a very emotive topic, and one born out of the situation we find ourselves in. If you can't have an adult discussion about it, I suggest you leave it alone.

Apart from an entrenched "it's our town club and that's that", I've still not heard a good argument (post-Rovers) NOT to look at a Lancashire County idea.

I wonder how many go to watch Mill Hill in the Pelle Menswear league instead of Rovers, because they have an affinity with the club?

They key question would be: would a Lancashire brand attract more sponsorship and supporters (eventually) than a Blackburn brand?

Pelle Menswear - showing your age there Stuart :rover:

Wearing my business hat, I've no doubt that it would be a success in terms of advertising/hospitality revenue...

Wearing my football fan hat I'm equally sure it wouldn't be a success in terms of bums on seats...

If you could simply start up a new football team in a certain place and expect people to turn up then how come MK Dons don't get 30,000 on every week. There's bog all around it for miles, loads of money floating about but yet they still muster up less than 10,000 every week. Because it is part of the 'culture' of a place. I'd say a lot of us started going to Rovers because our parents went before us, and their parents before them. It's not something that can just happen over night.

In MKs favour they have little competition, and most people who go watching wont have had a team before (other than Man U probably). In Lancashire Utds hypothetical case, the teams that people have a strong affinity to have ceased to exist and then they'd be expected to go and watch something else. Just cant see why they would.

Also, in reality Lancashire United would be starting out in North West Counties league. Can't see 30,000 rocking up to watch that.

By the way, what happened to that FC Rovers or FC Blackburn or whatever it was called?

A reformed Blackburn Rovers of a similar name such as AFC Blackburn would be the only thing I'd be willing to support if Rovers went into liquidation. The club would have to have Blackburn in the name and play their football in Blackburn with at least some sort of tie to the old club.

Lancashire United would be out of the question for me and judging by most people's opinions on here it wouldn't be a success anyway.

By the way, what happened to that FC Rovers or FC Blackburn or whatever it was called?

...which is the alternative argument. Just as valid an opinion to form a newco Blackburn club but the question is would it be more or less viable than a Lancashire focussed one?

Because - unless people still have faith in Venkys (and some still do) - then this could be a real consideration in the next couple of years.

If you could simply start up a new football team in a certain place and expect people to turn up then how come MK Dons don't get 30,000 on every week. There's bog all around it for miles, loads of money floating about but yet they still muster up less than 10,000 every week. Because it is part of the 'culture' of a place. I'd say a lot of us started going to Rovers because our parents went before us, and their parents before them. It's not something that can just happen over night.

In MKs favour they have little competition, and most people who go watching wont have had a team before (other than Man U probably). In Lancashire Utds hypothetical case, the teams that people have a strong affinity to have ceased to exist and then they'd be expected to go and watch something else. Just cant see why they would.

Also, in reality Lancashire United would be starting out in North West Counties league. Can't see 30,000 rocking up to watch that.

Good points. But to be fair, MK Dons have been in business, what, 10 years(?) and they have 10k? We have been going for 138 years and we have similar! In another couple of generations, MK Dons could have 25,000 fans and we could be a glint in a the eye of someone's granddad.

Could you see 13,000 (let alone 30,000) rocking up to see FC Rovers of Blackburn?

A reformed Blackburn Rovers of a similar name such as AFC Blackburn would be the only thing I'd be willing to support if Rovers went into liquidation. The club would have to have Blackburn in the name and play their football in Blackburn with at least some sort of tie to the old club.

Lancashire United would be out of the question for me and judging by most people's opinions on here it wouldn't be a success anyway.

To be fair, if opinions on here counted for the majority of the fan base, we'd have had 10,000 marching on last season's protests...

Lancashire United pros...............................

*Tumbleweed blows across the screen*

If you really can't face supporting Blackburn Rovers because they've fallen on harder times than of late, there's always a number of other successful Clubs you can follow less than an hours drive away.

This Lancashire United wheeze really is the deadest of ducks. Always has been. Fairly poor taste to wheel it out at the current time as well imo.

There's enough clubs in the local area down there or there abouts that people might already have an affinity to such as Chorley or in my case Clitheroe, who they'd sooner go and watch than Lancashire United.

To be fair, if opinions on here counted for the majority of the fan base, we'd have had 10,000 marching on last season's protests...

Ask the opinions on other clubs messageboards then Stuart, I'll stick my neck out and say their opinions will be exactly the same as most on here.

Nothing to debate on this particular point Stuart. Completely redundant idea and I would say 99.99 % of people are completely of the same view.

You said that there were no 'pros' in the idea at all, when there are plenty.

Trouble is people are taking a short view and not a long one.

It's a hypothetical debate and it sure beats discussing Venkys at the moment.

There's enough clubs in the local area down there or there abouts that people might already have an affinity to such as Chorley or in my case Clitheroe, who they'd sooner go and watch than Lancashire United.

This is how I'd watch football should Rovers go under with no phoenix club floated, however I'd probably opt for Darwen rather than Clitheroe :blush:

.Good points. But to be fair, MK Dons have been in business, what, 10 years(?) and they have 10k? We have been going for 138 years and we have similar! In another couple of generations, MK Dons could have 25,000 fans and we could be a glint in a the eye of someone's granddad.

Hmm, you know we have more than 10,000k really. We wouldn't be having this 'serious' debate if we'd not been screwed over by some clueless nobheads and we'd still be averaging mid 20s. But anyway if MK Dons were made to start in the equivalent league (I dunno what it is there - Kingston league or somat) would they have 10k on by no. Not a chance.

It would take a good 10 years at least from inception to even make it into the football league, by which point everyone would've lost interest long ago. The most successful new club around here is FC United, they have potentially got a massive fanbase, they've got big money behind them, but their progression hasn't been as quick as everyone predicted once they got into the Unibond/Evostik. There's no evidence whatsoever to think that a Lancashire United team would do any better than that.

By the time Lancashire United reached the football league 'everyone' would have got bored waiting for a 'successful' local team.

Exactly, and its where people are already going. I've been going on Chorley for years but wouldn't deem them as my team, but if Rovers didn't exist they probably would be.

Ask the opinions on other clubs messageboards then Stuart, I'll stick my neck out and say their opinions will be exactly the same as most on here.

I'm sure you are right, but once again, it's a short term view.

People slated MK Dons, yet in 10 years, they have 10,000 fans. Not a bad start, in a place that wasn't a hotbed of football.

Archived