BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Lancashire United-Pros and Cons

Guest Norbert

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Derby is a city. In Derbyshire. As much as a county as Stockport. I believe that you will also find Chesterfield are also from Derbyshire.

You were waiting for that. Good old google, eh? ;)

it is the least of our problems but...

31kCx3hfooL.jpg

To throw a curved one in .... the Notts in Notts County stands for Nottinghamshire and not Nottingham.

..... trying to encourage Asians to Ewood .......

And there amidst all the carp you have spouted on this subject, is the one nugget of hope.

I'm pretty sure I covered your points in my posts. I didn't ignore it certainly.

As for Shilito, there's no point even trying to enter into a proper discussion about anything with you.

You're "only here for the laughs".

You haven't answered any of them because you haven't come up with any specifics.

Here's an idea, get a poll going on this site asking "If your club was to be deliberatly wound up, along with Bolton, Preston, Accrington and Burnley, but there as to be a new club, playing in a new 50,000 seat stadium in, say, Helmshore, would you and whoever attends with you attend that team's games just as much?" And let's be REALLY generous and assume by some miracle as yet undefined by yourself, the club is playing in the Championship as opposed to Conference North.

I estimate yuou will need around 80% to say yes for the idea to be viable, ie a lot better than each club enjoys now.

You haven't answered any of them because you haven't come up with any specifics.

Here's an idea, get a poll going on this site asking "If your club was to be deliberatly wound up, along with Bolton, Preston, Accrington and Burnley, but there as to be a new club, playing in a new 50,000 seat stadium in, say, Helmshore, would you and whoever attends with you attend that team's games just as much?" And let's be REALLY generous and assume by some miracle as yet undefined by yourself, the club is playing in the Championship as opposed to Conference North.

I estimate yuou will need around 80% to say yes for the idea to be viable, ie a lot better than each club enjoys now.

Whilst I don't have a problem with a poll, people will vote with their hearts not their heads. We have already established that people are looking at the short term rather than long.

I cannot give you specifics as it is only an idea at this stage. If it were a proper detailed proposal the a serious business case would need to be put forward. Much like it would for a newco.

An MK Dons style approach requires to be driven by existing football people so I cannot influence that.

However it should be considered as an alternative to any new Blackburn Phoenix club when the time comes. Unless people can come up with a sound proposal as to how a Blackburn town club would be self financing at a level above League One? Now that would be worth talking about...

Whilst I don't have a problem with a poll, people will vote with their hearts not their heads. We have already established that people are looking at the short term rather than long.

I cannot give you specifics as it is only an idea at this stage. If it were a proper detailed proposal the a serious business case would need to be put forward. Much like it would for a newco.

An MK Dons style approach requires to be driven by existing football people so I cannot influence that.

However it should be considered as an alternative to any new Blackburn Phoenix club when the time comes. Unless people can come up with a sound proposal as to how a Blackburn town club would be self financing at a level above League One? Now that would be worth talking about...

So, for the very crux of "your" idea - that large crowds would result - you dismiss the notion of asking the very people you expect to attend because they would say no and you think they are wrong to do so.

The onus is for you to come up with a THOUGHT THROUGH idea and not take the absence of someone else coming up with something else as validation for your impractical fantasy.

The idea of a merged Lancashire club is a necessary evil, based on FFP and the diminishing fan base, not a perfect solution.

Indeed. Future requirements NOT past glories.

Take the Jack Walker years which has left many with no sense of reallity out of the equation as we must, most others are living out a misty eyed recollection of the era when they shared the 1.30 bus from the Bouly with most of the the team. That'll never happen again, these buggers now want to live in a mansion in and around Manchester and drive up in a Lambo or Bentley.

Rem 'The only constant in life is change' and we must change too....or get left behind.

To be honest, I can't believe somebody has given you the ego massage of opening this thread, as of all the self indulgent crap that you post on here, the Lancashire United is the least viable. I'd be less surprised to see Jurassic Park open. The reason why? It's very simple, and I'm sure a man of great intellect like yourself :rock: will be able to understand it:

1. We don't want it to happen.

2. Burnley don't want it to happen.

3. Blackpool don't want it to happen.

4. Preston don't want it to happen.

5. Fleetwood don't want it to happen.

There. All your fantasy nonsense about Skyscraper stadiums and one million season ticket holders, red shirts and endless success end there. As Claire stated, MK Dons is living proof. There is no argument for you in order to counteract that, as there is a living proof that such schemes are unpopular, and frankly, unsuccessful.

However, please continue to post embarrassing nonsense like "I just want their to be a team left for my kids to support," as for me personally, knowing your messageboard 'persona,' find it greatly amusing seeing you spout such @#/?.

Why so personal and antagonistic?

Again I have to say that criticism is easy. Try to suggest a way forward for the local town teams please. That offer is open to all.

Without going into much detail;

This is the worst idea I have ever heard. Firstly, Lancashire United is a crap bus service, and secondly i'd rather give up on football altogether than give up on Rovers.

Times are hard, but Blackburn Rovers amalgamated with the other lancashire clubs would be ridiculous. I agree in certain situations like the 2 dundee clubs - but break up the founding member teams to create a lancashire newco?

There are just so many different cons - without bringing emotional and regional connection into it; Shocking name, Who's stadium and where? Who owns it?, Who funds it?, Who's training ground gets knocked down?, Who's academy closes? etc etc

Id rather watch Rovers vs Chester in front of 3000 fans ever week.

I bet you wouldn't. Talk's cheap.

So, for the very crux of "your" idea - that large crowds would result - you dismiss the notion of asking the very people you expect to attend because they would say no and you think they are wrong to do so.

The onus is for you to come up with a THOUGHT THROUGH idea and not take the absence of someone else coming up with something else as validation for your impractical fantasy.

Not sure there's any need for the sneering tone.

Do you really think large crowds would appear overnight for a new club that goes against the ideals of everyone around? I certainly don't. What part of 'long game' don't you understand? A poll would not tell me what generations yet to come will think.

Have you ever had a hypothetical discussion over a few beers? You seem to be ignoring the points that I've been made on this in favour of simply looking to score points.

Surely it's logical to expect that more people - eventually - would be in the catchment group for a Lancashire team than a Blackburn team? I've said many times, if people only want 5000 crowds then that's absolutely fine. But a lot of people (circa 15,000 don't share that view).

In any case, if I came up with a cast iron plan, with a valid business case and planning permission, and funding, for a new stadium, you would still say it would never work.

Ironic though, that a fan out of the country is arguing the toss with a season ticket holder about the need from a football club in Blackburn, don't you think? :)

Think about your kids though, I mean, is that what they'll want? Saying that, perhaps if they are that desperate to support a team in Red, called United, who are successful, they might be able to find one within spitting distance.

In effect that silly spoilt intransigent stance is benefitting the Manchester clubs no end. I'm looking for an alternative to strengthening that shower of sh1t cos be very sure local kids in their thousands will desert BRFC and migrate there or similar unless we can offer them a worthwhile alternative.

Just as an observation it doesn't apperar that there are many people in business on here are there? Too many underlings and bean counters imo.

Indeed. Future requirements NOT past glories.

Take the Jack Walker years which has left many with no sense of reallity out of the equation as we must, most others are living out a misty eyed recollection of the era when they shared the 1.30 bus from the Bouly with most of the the team. That'll never happen again, these buggers now want to live in a mansion in and around Manchester and drive up in a Lambo or Bentley.

Rem 'The only constant in life is change' and we must change too....or get left behind.

Why so personal and antagonistic?

Again I have to say that criticism is easy. Try to suggest a way forward for the local town teams please. That offer is open to all.

I bet you wouldn't. Talk's cheap.

As I've already stated Gordon, us apart, all the small town teams in Lancashire not been as strong as they have been recently for years. The way forward for any football club is the same as it always has been, and always will be. A good manager, good players, and a good board. Continue to employ good managers and good players, and everything will be fine for those clubs. Will they be competing with Man United for the title? No. But neither will another 90 teams.

Lancashire United isn't needed. It isn't wanted. And, it is nothing more than a figment of your imagination, and never will be.

In effect that silly spoilt intransigent stance is benefitting the Manchester clubs no end. I'm looking for an alternative to strengthening that shower of sh1t cos be very sure local kids in their thousands will desert BRFC and migrate there or similar unless we can offer them a worthwhile alternative.

Just as an observation it doesn't apperar that there are many people in business on here are there? Too many underlings and bean counters imo.

Natural selection. If we die, it's because we're too weak, and not enough people care. If in 30 years Blackburn is 95% Asian, and they don't want a football team, then they won't have one. Do I see this happening? Nope (well, not the second bit).

And your argument about United is pointless. If you're suggesting that by being crap more kids will support United then so what? Tell your kids not to be a Glory Supporter. Or, if they do want to be, get over it. You're looking for a solution to a problem that has never, and will never exist. Inventing a football team to try and challenge for top honours basically? I can't believe we've got to six pages.

Lancashire United isn't needed. It isn't wanted. And, it is nothing more than a figment of your imagination, and never will be.

I disagree. It might not be wanted at the moment but it is certainly needed. The local population cannot fund a professional team in either of the top two divisions. As we descend through the divisions crowds and revenue will fall further. So where will that lead us when all the 'millionaires with a death wish' run out? Off you go Batman.

WhHowever s. Unless people can come up with a sound proposal as to how a Blackburn town club would be self financing at a level above League One? Now that would be worth talking about...

It would be worth talking about if you could name (with evidence) the clubs in the top 2 tiers that are self-financing.

Over to you.....

I diagree. It might not be wanted at the moment but it is certainly needed. The local population cannot fund a professional team in either of the top two divisions. As we descend through the divisions crowds and revenue will fall further. So where will that lead us when all the 'millionaires with a death wish' run out? Off you go Batman.

Complete and utter nonsense. It's impossible to have a discussion when you keep writing sentences that are completely contradicted by what's actually happening in real life.

For the last decade Lancashire has consistently had a variety of teams in the top two divisions. And, none of these clubs has come even close to any form of financial ruin. Yes we're in free-fall, but that's quite simply because we have mental owners.

Complete and utter nonsense. It's impossible to have a discussion when you keep writing sentences that are completely contradicted by what's actually happening in real life.

For the last decade Lancashire has consistently had a variety of teams in the top two divisions. And, none of these clubs has come even close to any form of financial ruin. Yes we're in free-fall, but that's quite simply because we have mental owners.

Can you provide evidence of that?

As far as I can see most clubs only exist cos there is a sugar daddy that the banks will take guarantees off. We had Jack, Wigan have DW, bolton are in hock to the tune of over 100m to Eddie Davies, PNE are constantly being baled out by Hemmings, Blackpool need the Oystons and Burnley owe their current existence to Kilby and Flood and a very timely excursion in the Prem .

It happens but it shouldn't have to and there's a good chance that this situation is about to come to an end.

Can I provide proof? With financial ruin comes Administration, Liquidation etc. It's never happened. I don't know what else I can say? By your logic the country should consist of Lancashire United, Yorkshire Rovers, Tyne and Tees County, Wales, Mindlands Wanderers, the two Manchester Teams, The Merseyside Somethings, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs and then London Rejects City.

Most clubs in the country are reliant on one mans money, even the biggest clubs of the lot.

Can you provide evidence of that?

As far as I can see most clubs only exist cos there is a sugar daddy that the banks will take guarantees off. We had Jack, Wigan have DW, bolton are in hock to the tune of over 100m to Eddie Davies, PNE are constantly being baled out by Hemmings, Blackpool need the Oystons and Burnley owe their current existence to Kilby and Flood and a very timely excursion in the Prem .

It happens but it shouldn't have to and there's a good chance that this situation is about to come to an end.

Companies and countries live with debt and continue to trade and so do football clubs. There's been a global economic crisis for 5 years in which banks have gone bust and even the most solvent banks have reined in lending. In all this time - the worst economic crisis since the 1930s - not one bank has pulled the plug on a football club.

You're barking up the wrong tree here matey. We're in a pickle because of gross incompetence by the owners, not because the club is financially unsustainable.

It would be worth talking about if you could name (with evidence) the clubs in the top 2 tiers that are self-financing.

Over to you.....

Well, FFP is going to change that.

Try to suggest a way forward for the local town teams please. That offer is open to all.

OK, here's one. We carry on exactly as we are, about to enjoy our 14th season in the top 2 divisions. With a wage bill which roughly matches our income. Bottom half championship, top half league one is about where we should be, as it is for you, PNE, Barnsley, Huddersfield etc. With some luck, good management and a couple of youth team crackers, we've managed to stay away from the drop.

That's ok for me. It seems for you, you can't see past the Premier League now. Everything else is rubbish. Watching Rovers is rubbish, the championship's rubbish, not being on the telly is rubbish.

Deal with it.

Lancashire United, as already said on here by the sane majority, is alive and well at Old Trafford. So pop your dummy back in, and get back to Ewood. The Fourth Division was fun in parts.

Here's to another 34 years...

OK, here's one. We carry on exactly as we are, about to enjoy our 14th season in the top 2 divisions. With a wage bill which roughly matches our income. Bottom half championship, top half league one is about where we should be, as it is for you, PNE, Barnsley, Huddersfield etc. With some luck, good management and a couple of youth team crackers, we've managed to stay away from the drop.

That's ok for me. It seems for you, you can't see past the Premier League now. Everything else is rubbish. Watching Rovers is rubbish, the championship's rubbish, not being on the telly is rubbish.

Deal with it.

Lancashire United, as already said on here by the sane majority, is alive and well at Old Trafford. So pop your dummy back in, and get back to Ewood. The Fourth Division was fun in parts.

Good post, and as addendum I would say that we showed all Lancashire town clubs can survive and thrive in the top flight because up until 2 years ago our lot showed the way with good management on and off the pitch.

Deal with it.

If only we were a normal football club and relegation was the only thing to worry about.

I would 'get over it'.

But will it stop there?

Archived