BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Lancashire United-Pros and Cons

Guest Norbert

If it's a question of loyalty maybe I should remind people that I stated I was mistrustful of the Venky's from day one (and even before) whilst you slavishly grovelled and prostituted yourself before them for all you were worth and especially during your freebie 'elitist' Fans Forum trip to Pune whilst at the same time describing any fans who expressed disquiet and dismay over the Venky's tenure as 'tremblers'. To misquote George Orwell you obviously hold the opinion that "all fans are equal, but some fans are more equal than others". Most will know and realise that you sold your soul to the Devil on that trip and silly little digs like the one above will not endear yourself to the members on here. Try as you are doing you simply cannot re-write history.

My own thoughts on Lanky Utd, aside, that is spot on.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a supporter of Lancashire County FC for many years ie since the early 00s when we were in a position of great strength and PNE were ,as ever,sizeably under-achieving,there is an argument pro or anti to be made. And there is getting the timing right.

This time is neither appropriate or right NOW- unless PNE were to approach Venkys.

Uniting with Bumley is unthinkable and multi-Club combinations are unworkable. Plus they are not in Lancashire CC area.

So back to the back-burner again! If it happens there will only be a small fan-base to alienate and probably no BRFCS to stir up cynicism.

The next year might be 'melt-down'....training ground,Radio Rovers and infrastructure dilapidation.

I can't remember Pete playing for Blackburn Olympic but I remember well his halcyon days as a prolific scorer for Mullards and Ewood Amatuers.

Yes, you're right ref I think it was Ewood Amateurs, and I should have known that really given that I was chatting to Eggy about those days fairly recently - he played for the same team!

From a commercial viability standpoint, I think that there are positives for a concept such as LU.

Extend it further, and there would be perhaps 30 or 40 professional teams to sustain. Players would find their options more limited, thereby driving down their ability to force moves and wage rises.

Existing generations of football fans would find themselves with tricky "moral" decisions but this would diminish over time with new fans ignoring the protestation of their parents and going to watch live football however they can.

The TV companies would likely market their product increasingly around the players, rather than the teams themselves. You would probably find that enough people are interested in seeing particular players (or can at least buy into whatever narratives are created, as is increasingly the focus these days) to sustain a reasonable level of revenue.

However, I have discovered that a combination of Venky's and my lack of proximity are totally killing the enthusiasm I had for Rovers in the 20 or so years that I went regularly. And for me, the proximity aspect highlights how crucial the sense of community is to following a club, and how the "us vs them" mentality is such a large part of the enjoyment.

On a personal level, I've discovered that without the "tribal" element of football, it isn't even my favourite sport to watch. I didn't actually realise this until watching Rovers every week was taken away from me.

LU *may* be the way to sustain the game in the long-term, but I think the effect that it would have would kill my passion. Football would still be a great sport, but it wouldn't sit apart as the best in the way that it did when I was 10 years old, or even 25. I'd still watch football for enjoyment, but that element that put it above every other sport would almost definitely go missing.

That said, I think too many people are considering this an "open and shut" argument without considering human psychology. We adapt to situations, and we are more than capable of focusing our energies and emotions on completely unforeseeable entities. If we couldn't, we would never change our friendship circles, or re-marry. You never consider that you could devote yourself to another person when you marry for the first time, but people do.

When somebody close to you dies, you never forget them, but you do re-allocate time and emotional energy elsewhere. Perhaps reluctantly, but it still happens. It's very, very human to do so.

Too many people are either missing this point, or do not want to consider it.

FWIW, I think it's an intriguing question and I'm glad that it has been put out there.

bellamy11, you've just made my personal heartache on this thread worthwhile. Even though you don't necessarily agree, you have made a well reasoned post. Thank you.

The irony.

You've accused everyone under the sun of being unwilling to debate the issue but as soon as EIT posed some valid questions about how the logistics and practicalities of this hare brained notion would work, you ignored them completely!

Then made a vague reference to the FFP regulations without explaining how that advances your argument.

Your contributions on this thread are a bit like you trying to start a debate along the lines of "That Hitler, he wasn't such a bad bloke after all" and then getting annoyed with people because they won't argue both sides of the case.

I've just had some very sad news and frankly I don't care what you think right now.

Whilst I hope it's not too bad and everything is okay, I'm not quite sure why you felt the need to bring it into an internet debate in such a way.

theno said

"How bad does it have to get before you change your opinion YB? Surely
you are not one of the many who will simply take you bat and ball home
and retire to your satellite sport should BRFC fold? "

yes i would take my bat and ball home as i would think would any die hard rovers fan.

why would i want to support anybody else ?. thats for plastic fans.

theno said

"How bad does it have to get before you change your opinion YB? Surely

you are not one of the many who will simply take you bat and ball home

and retire to your satellite sport should BRFC fold? "

yes i would take my bat and ball home as i would think would any die hard rovers fan.

why would i want to support anybody else ?. thats for plastic fans.

Thats quite a good point which you have inadvertantly introduced. You are obviously a football fan as opposed to a fan of football.... if you get my drift.

Yeah, now it's your turn.

Grow up. You have contributed nothing to the debate other than to goad and provoke in an attempt to ridicule. Stuart has put forward good points but you don't appear to have the intellect to even debate them. If you have nothing worth adding then stfu. If you have something worth adding to provide top level football in this area then lets hear it.

Grow up. You have contributed nothing to the debate other than to goad and provoke in an attempt to ridicule. Stuart has put forward good points but you don't appear to have the intellect to even debate them. If you have nothing worth adding then stfu. If you have something worth adding to provide top level football in this area then lets hear it.

Can't you read? I've made and justified my points with perfect clarity. And you getting annoyed due to somebody ''attempting to provoke and ridicule?" Really?! You don't like it when somebody can give it back do you?

Archived