BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tugay- best rovers midfield ever

Just now, darrenrover said:

And Tugay was a half back or inside forward?

Tugay would have been what was known as a wing half then, either No 4 or 6. When I first started teams were just beginning to copy the Brazilian style of play which was 4-2-4. Teams had one predominantly attacking wing half supporting the forwards along side a deep lying forward  and one predominantly defensive wing half covering the centre half. You can guess which role Tugay would have played.

6 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Tugay would have been what was known as a wing half then, either No 4 or 6. When I first started teams were just beginning to copy the Brazilian style of play which was 4-2-4. Teams had one predominantly attacking wing half supporting the forwards along side a deep lying forward  and one predominantly defensive wing half covering the centre half. You can guess which role Tugay would have played.

Strange how formations over the years have changed. Best 'no 6' for me was Ronnie. I always saw Tugay as something of a hybrid between 6 and 10 in old money.

Edited by darrenrover

My favourite piece of Tugay play was when he made Steve Gerrard look an absolute mug on Boxing day 2006.

He skinned him with a beautiful step over right in the middle of the pitch before slipping a perfect pass through the scousers defence for MGP to run onto and slide across for Benni to score the winner.

• Like 4

Just now, darrenrover said:

Strange how formations over the years have changed. Best 'no 6' for me was Ronnie. I always saw Tugay as something of a hybrid between 6 and 10 in old money.

Ronnie was a right half , No 4 surely ? 

25 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Well when I started watching in the 1961-62 season Dougie was playing on the right wing but it wasn't long before he was moved to the attacking midfield role wearing the No 10 shirt. I'd have him in midfield Jim, you want you best player on the ball as much as possible.

Yep, me too. Imagine Tugay and Duggie in the same team, two wonderful players but Duggie had the edge. 

Dougie was quicker and he had that change of pace that did people. Tugay was a better passer of the ball though.  First time I really saw him play he floated a long ball down field for Jansen to run onto.  He'd put back spin on the pass so just as Matty got to the ball it sat up perfectly for Matty to lob the goalkeeper. Brilliant.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

My favourite piece of Tugay play was when he made Steve Gerrard look an absolute mug on Boxing day 2006.

He skinned him with a beautiful step over right in the middle of the pitch before slipping a perfect pass through the scousers defence for MGP to run onto and slide across for Benni to score the winner.

Me and my friends still talk about that to this day!

• Like 1

Brilliant Rog, you can just picture the little fella doing exactly what you have described..

However I seem to recall that routine indirectly costing us a couple of points against City at Ewood in Allardyce's early tenure - the ref added loads of injury time on after Tugay had been subbed on about 85 minutes, during which City pulled it back from 2-0 to 2-2 with the help of some doziness from Matt Derbyshire.

2 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

This one Mark?... 50 odd seconds into the clip...... Not HD

Read big sams autobiography. He waxed lyrical about the likes of okocha during his bolton days. So i was expecting some special praise for tugay who lets be fair was head and shoulders above okocha. All he said was 'blackburn also had a good passer of the ball in a player called tugay" i mean come on

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, roverandout said:

Read big sams autobiography. He waxed lyrical about the likes of okocha during his bolton days. So i was expecting some special praise for tugay who lets be fair was head and shoulders above okocha. All he said was 'blackburn also had a good passer of the ball in a player called tugay" i mean come on

Context:

Okocha was his purchase and Sam achieved something with him.

Tugay was a Souness purchase who Sam achieved nowt with.

For all Tugay's brilliance, Douglas would be the top man for me - didn't they call his role "the schemer" when he moved from right wing?! Destroyed West Ham away 8-2; Spurs 7-2 in same season with him pulling the strings. Good goal scoring record as well. Most on here probably weren't alive when Dougy was king of Ewood. The  nostalgia for the likes of Tugay & others is understandable given where we find ourselves at the moment. So sad guys.  

• Like 1

I guarantee that if you asked every Bolton fan who was better they would say Okocha, whilst every Rovers fan would say Tugay.

Both brilliant footballers who will forever be cult hero's for our respective clubs.