BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Baroness Thatcher Dies

Why not just throw the body in the reservoir and have done with it? Very cheap.

Like it or not, she was a Prime Minister who was the dominant political UK figure of her time, and a world statesman. If you're going to argue against her funeral, you should also be arguing that the Queen should be put up in a council house, when foreign dignatories visit they should be put up in a Premier (get it?) Inn, where does that sort of approach end?

It's an illogical argument, because that funeral has not eaten into the welfare budget for the UK.If you want a legitimate target, try the current administration, or bankers. The previuous Labour governemnt also like spraying the cash around quite liberally, but I didn't see the Millennium Dome get turned into a homeless shelter.

Let's face it, your comments ar ejust motivated by spite. I wasn't a fan of her's, but carrying around anger like that for the rest of your life will do you no favours.

I'd of set fire to her and sent her down the Thames . Don't care who she was 10 million for a funeral is @#/? .

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why not just throw the body in the reservoir and have done with it? Very cheap.

Like it or not, she was a Prime Minister who was the dominant political UK figure of her time, and a world statesman. If you're going to argue against her funeral, you should also be arguing that the Queen should be put up in a council house, when foreign dignatories visit they should be put up in a Premier (get it?) Inn, where does that sort of approach end?

It's an illogical argument, because that funeral has not eaten into the welfare budget for the UK.If you want a legitimate target, try the current administration, or bankers. The previuous Labour governemnt also like spraying the cash around quite liberally, but I didn't see the Millennium Dome get turned into a homeless shelter.

Let's face it, your comments ar ejust motivated by spite. I wasn't a fan of her's, but carrying around anger like that for the rest of your life will do you no favours.

Great post Bryan

New Labour inherited a strong economy and a decade + later left an economic disaster and a country in unbelievable debt Abbey. How many meals and beds did that cost?

To repeat for the hard of learning, Labour inherited an economy that under the Tories had been through 3 boom and busts, the ERM debacle and rampant inflation and unemployment. Blair and Brown rebuilt public services and institutions that had been wilfully neglected for 19 years and in some cases such as schools and hospitals were literally falling down. If there is any criticism of the Labour leaders it is that they did not spend enough. The current economic woes were caused by the worldwide financial crisis and ensuing global recession which led to tax receipts plummeting. Brown had to bail out the banks to keep them alfloat and stop them going bust. When Labour left office in 2010 this country was out of recession and starting to grow again - the subsequent double dip recession and rise in unemployment was a direct result of the Tory-led govt's vindictive austerity programme in which the poor are having to pay for the greed and stupidity of the rich.

Next.

To repeat for the hard of learning, Labour inherited an economy that under the Tories had been through 3 boom and busts, the ERM debacle and rampant inflation and unemployment. Blair and Brown rebuilt public services and institutions that had been wilfully neglected for 19 years and in some cases such as schools and hospitals were literally falling down. If there is any criticism of the Labour leaders it is that they did not spend enough. The current economic woes were caused by the worldwide financial crisis and ensuing global recession which led to tax receipts plummeting. Brown had to bail out the banks to keep them alfloat and stop them going bust. When Labour left office in 2010 this country was out of recession and starting to grow again - the subsequent double dip recession and rise in unemployment was a direct result of the Tory-led govt's vindictive austerity programme in which the poor are having to pay for the greed and stupidity of the rich.

Next.

Makes sense to me Jim, I'm just amazed some people see it differently.

• 8 months later...

If they ever do that I'll go into work, for nothing if need be

What a woman! You've got to hand it to her. Even from beyond the grave she is getting the hard line, work shy, commie agitators back to work!

No doubt your works will be shut Tyrone. Tell you what.....Come and mow my lawn and weed my garden whilst were all having a barby and raising a glass or three in her memory if you are so keen to work for nowt! Bring jimmk2 as well cos judging what he wrote about the great lady in my sig he's a great admirer. You ready to come out of the closet yet jimbo?

How long do you have to hold a grudge?

There are some things you can't change.

Those that you can, you do something about, those that you can't, you adapt and move on.

And I am no lover of MT.

To the grave for that sort Dave. Irrational hatred and embittered anger is what makes life worthwhile for them. As a marker ive noticed that Thatcher haters tend to be Churchill haters too.

• Moderation Lead

No doubt that she divided opinion, but as the debate has been done to death (please excuse the pun) and given the depth of feeling against her, don't you think it would highlight just how out of touch with society the current government is if they were to go ahead with this Bank Holiday name change?

K-Hod, now that would be downright bad form. A resurrection of all the pain that should be forgotten.

I perhaps should have read some of the more recent comments about the public holiday. Rude, to the extreme.

Is that the move of a government under pressure?

• Moderation Lead

K-Hod, now that would be downright bad form. A resurrection of all the pain that should be forgotten.

I perhaps should have read some of the more recent comments about the public holiday. Rude, to the extreme.

Is that the move of a government under pressure?

I think even this government must be aware, given the demonstrations at her funeral (which I deplored btw), that it would re-open old wounds if they did go ahead with the re-naming of the Bank Holiday. Naming holidays is a very American thing, and not something I think we have ever really done in this country....

Like I said, Theno, I'm no lover of MT, (and I could never have voted for her), but there is a time to let go. Focus on the positives in your life, move forward with the times.

I certainly hold no grudges against MT and have many better things to concentrate in my life.

However if we are to begin renaming bank holidays after great British leaders (obviously debatable for many in this instance) or Britons I would argue there are many historical figures who should also be considered. Churchill for one.

I think we have to ask what right has the current government to rename a bank holiday on what is probably a whim?

If we look here

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/Pages/characters/default.aspx

we see just a few who might be considered. Also note this:

As part of its programme of issuing new banknotes, the Bank has the honour of celebrating a diverse range of individuals that have shaped British thought, innovation, leadership, values and society.

If that's a definition for bank notes it could also be a criteria for public holidays?

I certainly hold no grudges against MT and have many better things to concentrate in my life.

However if we are to begin renaming bank holidays after great British leaders (obviously debatable for many in this instance) or Britons I would argue there are many historical figures who should also be considered. Churchill for one.

I think we have to ask what right has the current government to rename a bank holiday on what is probably a whim?

If we look here

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/Pages/characters/default.aspx

we see just a few who might be considered. Also note this:

As part of its programme of issuing new banknotes, the Bank has the honour of celebrating a diverse range of individuals that have shaped British thought, innovation, leadership, values and society.

If that's a definition for bank notes it could also be a criteria for public holidays?

Quite right Paul. No sane UK citizen could argue against a Churchill Day but to name a Bank Holiday in respect of St Margaret woul simply lead to a rash of counter suggestions once there was a change of Govt. 'Scargill Day', (Around the)Benn Day, Bliar day and no doubt Mandela Day and Osama Day would be proposed by some more extreme lunes.

Better to just stick to the present range of ladies clothes.

How long do you have to hold a grudge?

There are some things you can't change.

Those that you can, you do something about, those that you can't, you adapt and move on.

And I am no lover of MT.

I've moved forward OK thanks. That doesn't mean I have forgotten the damage she did to British Industry. Hitler only managed to bomb bits of it, which grew back up again after the war. She wiped large tracts of it out for ever. Were you living in the UK at the time or had you keaned off already ?

Churchill Day ? Not for me. I share the opinion of the millions of servicemen that threw him out on his ear in 1945.

I've moved forward OK thanks. That doesn't mean I have forgotten the damage she did to British Industry. Hitler only managed to bomb bits of it, which grew back up again after the war. She wiped large tracts of it out for ever. Were you living in the UK at the time or had you keaned off already ?

Churchill Day ? Not for me. I share the opinion of the millions of servicemen that threw him out on his ear in 1945.

What a strange embittered person you must be. Back then you had the two choices which you have mentioned Hitler or Churchill. Now try again Vidkun.

As for British Industry. Truth is the nation was sick of paying ransom to the Trades Unions within Nationalised Industry who were holding the nations citizens to ransom. There were very many innocent casualties but much of it was mercy killing. Would you still buy Pedigree Chum every week and pay pet insurance once your dying dog had been put down? Of course you wouldn't.

• Backroom

Why do we have to name a holiday after anyone? And why someone so controversial?

The likes of Admiral Nelson or Churchill should surely come first? Even Darwin or Nightingale would make more sense.

Guest Norbert

Thatcher Day? Who proposed that?

I can't see such a divisive figure being first in line for such a celebration. There are many more deserving people, be it Darwin and Wallace, Alan Turing, Tommy Flowers, Thomas Huxley, Henry Cavendish, Daley Thompson, Frank Whittle, James Starley, Isembard Kingdom Brunel, John Logie Baird or Alexander Bell.

• Backroom

Charles Babbage, Jane Austen, Elizabeth Fry, Shakespeare, the 2 Ronnies, Eric&Ernie. All equally worthy and less controversial candidates.

Tim Berners-Lee would be another, more modern, candidate.

Archived