BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Baroness Thatcher Dies

Missing the point. Do you want a dunce's hat ?

Bitter about what she did to this wonderful country...yes I am probably.

Please explain why you identify with a load of southern, Oxbridge-educated toffs who declared war on the northern working class ?

And try to do it without doffing your cap and licking their boots.

Because every time Labour get into power they nearly bankrupt the country.

Example: A couple of years ago i decided to change jobs,i was fed up of making rich miserable people even more richer and more miserable (note:That was in manufacturing of which i had worked for 25 years since leaving school).So i decided to work for county council supporting adults with learning disabilities in their own homes.anyway to start this job i needed to do a Learning Disability Qualification course in Kirkham.i was there for 2 weeks in November 2010,imagine my surprise when i was told you get free drinks and biscuits when we had a break.Not nearly as surprised when i was told we got FREE meals at lunchtimes though! (and i'm not talking about just a sandwich either).I was gobsmacked when they were serving high quality meals (roast beef dinners etc) without charging even a nominal fee.

The 2 weeks i was there were the last 2 weeks of the canteen serving meals,the staff were gutted at being reposted somewhere else but weren't surprised.Neither was i when the head chef told me it was costing county Council £10.50 per MEAL for every person that was on them courses for the 2 weeks i was there!

Is it any wonder the finances are in such a state when the spending under the previous government were at these levels? I estimate there were at least 50 people per day every day getting this freebie and that is in just ONE small training centre in ONE county.How much do you reckon they had wasted over the years providing this generous but unnecessary waste of taxpayers money?

Btw i see you STILL haven't answered the question so I shall repeat it YET again:why did Labour make single parenting whilst claiming benefits they hadn't earned a career move that is such a drain on the country's finances?

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Example: A couple of years ago i decided to change jobs,i was fed up of making rich miserable people even more richer and more miserable (note:That was in manufacturing of which i had worked for 25 years since leaving school).So i decided to work for county council supporting adults with learning disabilities in their own homes.anyway to start this job i needed to do a Learning Disability Qualification course in Kirkham.i was there for 2 weeks in November 2010,imagine my surprise when i was told you get free drinks and biscuits when we had a break.Not nearly as surprised when i was told we got FREE meals at lunchtimes though! (and i'm not talking about just a sandwich either).I was gobsmacked when they were serving high quality meals (roast beef dinners etc) without charging even a nominal fee.

The 2 weeks i was there were the last 2 weeks of the canteen serving meals,the staff were gutted at being reposted somewhere else but weren't surprised.Neither was i when the head chef told me it was costing county Council £10.50 per MEAL for every person that was on them courses for the 2 weeks i was there!

Is it any wonder the finances are in such a state when the spending under the previous government were at these levels? I estimate there were at least 50 people per day every day getting this freebie and that is in just ONE small training centre in ONE county.How much do you reckon they had wasted over the years providing this generous but unnecessary waste of taxpayers money?

Btw i see you STILL haven't answered the question so I shall repeat it YET again:why did Labour make single parenting whilst claiming benefits they hadn't earned a career move that is such a drain on the country's finances?

The legacy left by Thatcher in respect of 'claiming benefits' was that, to manipulate the unemployment figures at the time, claimants were encouraged to go on to invalidity benefit (as was) rather than unemployment benefit. That worked out well, didn't it?

All sounds very good to me and a fine example of a civilised country providing excellent public services for the disadvantaged.

You have to remember that in 1997 Labour inherited a country whose public institutions were on their knees after 19 years of Tory neglect. Schools, hospitals etc were in desperate need of investment with crumbling buildings and infrastructure. Tony Blair made a tour of the country of the worst examples and was shocked at what he saw. Labour was right to embark on a massive spending programme - my gripe with them is they did not spend enough, particularly on public transport.

You are also perpetuating the right wing myth that the previous govt caused this economic crisis when the truth is the blame can be paid firmly at the hands of the greed and incompetence of the banks in the City. Not for the first time, London has landed the nation's finances in a mess and the rest of the country and the north in particular is paying the price.

The legacy left by Thatcher in respect of 'claiming benefits' was that, to manipulate the unemployment figures at the time, claimants were encouraged to go on to invalidity benefit (as was) rather than unemployment benefit. That worked out well, didn't it?

Thatcher was able to get away with her 1980s mass unemployment programme because the benefits were paid for by North Sea oil revenues. People wonder where North Sea revenues went and why they weren't invested in a national infrastructure and that is the answer. The advent of the "underclass" we see today can also be traced back to the 1980s.

All sounds very good to me and a fine example of a civilised country providing excellent public services for the disadvantaged.

So you seriously think it is ok to spend taxpayers money on expensive freebie lunches for council workers? Jeez what are you on? If that had been a Tory government doing that you would have criticising them (and rightly so).

You are also perpetuating the right wing myth that the previous govt caused this economic crisis when the truth is the blame can be paid firmly at the hands of the greed and incompetence of the banks in the City. Not for the first time, London has landed the nation's finances in a mess and the rest of the country and the north in particular is paying the price.

If that is the case why did a Labour government do nothing about it during it's 13 years in power?

So do you still think it is acceptable for people to view being a single parent and claiming benefits as a career move? (4th time of asking! ;) )
Also do you think it is right that families with children who don't work are better off than families with children that do work?

So you seriously think it is ok to spend taxpayers money on expensive freebie lunches for council workers? Jeez what are you on? If that had been a Tory government doing that you would have criticising them (and rightly so).

If that is the case why did a Labour government do nothing about it during it's 13 years in power?

So do you still think it is acceptable for people to view being a single parent and claiming benefits as a career move? (4th time of asking! ;) )
Also do you think it is right that families with children who don't work are better off than families with children that do work?

What the deuce have single mothers and benefits got to do with the economic crisis ? Oh sorry I forgot, the real cause of our economic misery isn’t bankers taking all the money, or politicians playing disaster capitalism so they can give the money to their mates in healthcare, banks, G4S or whatever… it’s all single mums and people on benefits.

Why do you keep peddling this stuff straight from the leader columns of the Daily Mail ?

To remind you, this economic hole was created by rich people and your friends in the Tory party think the poorest and weakest should be made to pay for it.

Now explain why you think that is fair and why you support a load of southern Oxbridge-educated toffs ?

Yeah, that's right, lets all get bent out of shape about a £ 10.50 meal . Meanwhile back in the real world £23 billion pounds was paid out in housing benefit last year, £9.2 billion of this was paid straight to private landlords. I've had plenty of free meals working in private industry, indeed the best buffets I've ever had came courtesy of industry based bean feasts. You need to get out of Bacup matey, is it still 1966 there ?

• Backroom

I see they have banned playing the #1 song on the beeb. The witch carries on censoring the working class even when she's dead .

The censorship is (imo) correct. To dance on a frail old woman's grave is abhorrent and only lowers the tasteless celebrations to Thatcher's level.

I only hope the protesters will have the decency to allow her family to grieve without hassle. But I doubt it somehow. Personally, I think anyone disturbing any sort of memorial for any person who has passed on deserves any beating they may get from over-zealous cops.

Yeah, that's right, lets all get bent out of shape about a £ 10.50 meal . Meanwhile back in the real world £23 billion pounds was paid out in housing benefit last year, £9.2 billion of this was paid straight to private landlords. I've had plenty of free meals working in private industry, indeed the best buffets I've ever had came courtesy of industry based bean feasts. You need to get out of Bacup matey, is it still 1966 there ?

you obviously missed the point......that £10.50 meal per person works out over £100,000 per annum for ONE training centre (of which there are numerous) in ONE county (of which there are numerous).And that is assuming there only 50 people per day that pass through there (i should think there would be more at the much larger centres).My point was this was only ONE part of the public spending gravy train that was seriously flawed,how many others do you think there were?

Thanks: I knew that graphic was on the web somewhere but I couldn't find it.

But yet again another thing that Labour could have chosen to do something about......and didn't.

And that is the whole point most of you are missing,Thatcher did some things that were for the good of the country and some that weren't.But out of the things that Thatcher got wrong (in Labour's eyes) just which of them did Labour put right? The stopping of free milk for primary schoolchildren? nope. The re-nationalisation of privatised companies? Nope.The re-opening of mining pits? Nope.the abolition of the council/poll tax? Nope. Not a single one of these actions was reversed by Bliar and co.You condemn Thatcher and yet Bliar and co had every chance to reverse these and didn't. So which one of these let you down the most?

The censorship is (imo) correct. To dance on a frail old woman's grave is abhorrent and only lowers the tasteless celebrations to Thatcher's level.

I only hope the protesters will have the decency to allow her family to grieve without hassle. But I doubt it somehow. Personally, I think anyone disturbing any sort of memorial for any person who has passed on deserves any beating they may get from over-zealous cops.

Not like thatchers police to stick truncheons in.

I will be so happy to see her funeral wrecked .

But yet again another thing that Labour could have chosen to do something about......and didn't.

And that is the whole point most of you are missing,Thatcher did some things that were for the good of the country and some that weren't.But out of the things that Thatcher got wrong (in Labour's eyes) just which of them did Labour put right? The stopping of free milk for primary schoolchildren? nope. The re-nationalisation of privatised companies? Nope.The re-opening of mining pits? Nope.the abolition of the council/poll tax? Nope. Not a single one of these actions was reversed by Bliar and co.You condemn Thatcher and yet Bliar and co had every chance to reverse these and didn't. So which one of these let you down the most?

Did you ready my previous posts or just choose to ignore them ?

And while you're at it answer the question of why you think that is fair for the Tories to target the poor and weakest in society when the greedy and wealthy who caused the problem get off scot-free and why you support a load of southern Oxbridge-educated toffs ?

you obviously missed the point......that £10.50 meal per person works out over £100,000 per annum for ONE training centre (of which there are numerous) in ONE county (of which there are numerous).And that is assuming there only 50 people per day that pass through there (i should think there would be more at the much larger centres).My point was this was only ONE part of the public spending gravy train that was seriously flawed,how many others do you think there were?

Very few and in the overall scheme of things the cost was pennies. Now look at how your rich friends in Bacup evade taxes (see graphic above) to see where the real problem lies.

Not like thatchers police to stick truncheons in.

I will be so happy to see her funeral wrecked .

Let me know when your nearest and dearest pass on - I'd like to pop round for a spot of grave dancing

You have to remember that in 1997 Labour inherited a country whose public institutions were on their knees after 19 years of Tory neglect. Schools, hospitals etc were in desperate need of investment with crumbling buildings and infrastructure.

Same happened in 1979 when Thatcher took over, the country was on its knees, green goddesses in the streets, power cuts, unions crippling the country with strikes over the amount of cheese in the sandwiches in the works canteen, you can’t have it both ways Jim.

Blairs government left the country bankrupt and even more criminal than that they never regulated the banks, 12yrs in power and didn’t regulate the banks, WTF was all that about?

Labour and the conservatives are no different these days, 2 peas in a pod full of career politicians out for themselves and nobody else.

As for Thatcher, I have no time for the woman, whats she did to communities and industry in the north was disgusting, but she was helped by the incompetence of people like Arthur Scragill, now what a plank he was/is!

And around £2 billion of that was paid out in 'excess' Housing Benefit relating to property originally bought under the Right to Buy. In other words, the difference between what the 'social' rent would have been, and what the private landlords are charging. Some flagship policy eh? And that's without even mentioning the lack of building adequate replacements. So for all those highlighting Right to Buy as one of Thatcher's 'good' policies, yet again it resulted in a limited number of individuals gaining, but at a cost to the public good (and purse).

We could start a thread on the legacy and broken promises of New Labour after all the promises they made during the 17 years of Conservative Govt. For a start I can't remember them honouring any promises made from the Thatcher years but not only that....

1. First job they did was immediately making the Bank of England free from governmental controls and the setting up of the FSA lapdog in it's place .

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/may/6/newsid_3806000/3806313.stm

"The Chancellor went straight from that meeting to a news conference at which he unveiled his plans to give the bank freedom to control monetary policy. He said: "I want to set in place a longterm framework for economic prosperity... I want to break from the boom

bust economics of previous years."

He certainly did that didn't he? Unfortunately Bust bust is his legacy.

2. Tony Blair with an eye to sucking up to the Americans invented some weapons of mass destruction and took us into a conflict with Iraq which alienated muslims the world over and brought Muhammedans to commit terrorist actions all over the globe. Needless to say the fullness of time reveals that his actions have left him as rich as Croesus.

3. Broon sold off our Gold Reserves whilst the price of gold was on the floor of the bargain basement, and then stole our pensions.

4. Had a public and unseemly spat at the top over a number of years for the position of PM. And ultimately put an unelected person into number 10.

5. Presided over the banking crisis and the deepest recession since the Big One.

6. Cracked up big time and Blamed his @#/? ups on a bigoted lifelong Labour supporter from Oldham.

Apart from that nauseating showbiz performance at Princess Di's funeral I really can't think of much else New Labour will be remembered for...... and certainly nothing positive or beneficial to the nation thats for sure.

Have I missed anything?

Let me know when your nearest and dearest pass on - I'd like to pop round for a spot of grave dancing

My dearest and dearest are not evil and shafted people who don't have as much money as them and don't order the police to beat joe public up .

Do I ever call the dead .. No

But in this case .she deserves every bit of flack she gets.

Not aimed at you Paul but all the dancing on graves stuff being rattled about , how many of these folk have not slagged jimmy saville ? She's has evil as is IMO .

My dearest and dearest are not evil and shafted people who don't have as much money as them and don't order the police to beat joe public up .

Do I ever call the dead .. No

But in this case .she deserves every bit of flack she gets.

Not aimed at you Paul but all the dancing on graves stuff being rattled about , how many of these folk have not slagged jimmy saville ? She's has evil as is IMO .

You know full well that Joe Public were neither in the front line at Orgreave nor that at the Poll Tax riot in London. They were anarchists and activists. Do the pictures of ugly people in their twenties dancing and celebrating her death not repulse you?

You are labouring your point Abbey and to compare Margaret Thatcher to Jimmy Saville is just repugnant.

My uncle for one was a miner in Barnsley .

I for one believe it or not was signed up to be a police cadet ( apprentice) at West Midlands. I then packed it in , too my parents horror , after 1st watching the police hammer the miners and then when rovers went to man city and lost 6-1 (I think) the police that day hammered anyone who got in there way and I decided there and then I wanted no part of being a thatcher henchman. Also she stopped drinking on away coaches !!

There's other things that I won't bring putting in the public domain

Archived