BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rhodes- exit clause in contract

Maybe we should start a Jordan Rhodes transfer rumours thread

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11676/8679699/Championship-Jordan-Rhodes-happy-to-stay-at-Blackburn

Jordan Rhodes has pledged to stay with Blackburn Rovers, after they successfully staved off relegation.

Rhodes joined Blackburn last summer for £8million from Huddersfield, and he has lived up to his price-tag with 29 goals - which have proved invaluable to the Lancashire outfit.

The Scottish international is being linked with a move to the Premier League this summer, but he says he would like to help Rovers back to the top-flight.

Rhodes said: "It would be nice to bounce back up with this club. This is a Premier League club.

"It's just a shame this year we have not given ourselves a proper chance.

"There's not that much we need to tweak. We let in too many goals from 85 minutes onwards and should be 10 or 15 points better off.

"Being in the bottom three wasn't nice. But we showed terrific character.

"When the going got tough a lot of people stepped up and got us out of trouble."

Rhodes would not be drawn on whether he though current caretaker Gary Bowyer was the best man to take charge full-time.

"It is not for me to say who the next manager should be. But we will do our best for him, whoever it is," he said.

Lord I hope this is true. If Bowyer stays I can see him getting the Best out of Rhodes myself. He's not ready for the Prem yet IMHO. Our biggest threat to losing him is from one of the sides coming down. QPR or Newcastle if they drop. Don't see the likes of Reading or Wigan stumping up that much cash. I don't see anyone else with the readies in this division to get him.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's no such pledge there.

Quite true, perhaps I should have read it BEFORE I typed my last post.

Whilst I salute the sentiment, it's difficult to think positive when you let reality seep in for a second or two.

Yes, we survived - just - but unless something changes next season, it's hard to see how things will improve organically. We have no manager, no board to speak of and owners who are still running the club from India. Still giving us cheap words and even cheaper actions. Let's see if we get an experienced, credible CEO who is allowed to make football decisions, because as it stands even the people in charge now don't have the authority to sign managers contracts (or so Venkys would have us believe).

If we have NO money then Rhodes is worth whatever we can get for him in a short space of time. That's why people see his value as low.

Now, if Venkys do really have money, and this last two years have been some kind of bizarre test of everyone's faith then congratulations, you've passed, and we won't have to sell Rhodes - even if he asks to leave (which of course he won't in this positive world we've created).

Let's hope you are right, Pete. Genuinely. But football isn't played on grass at Ewood these days, it's played out in the papers.

It should, what with all the manure that has been shoveled our way. To the actual thread topic. does anyone know if he actually has a clause in his contract.

Ben1142 will probably know.

to quote my good friend...

"There are known knowns; there are things we know that we know.

There are known unknowns; that is to say, there are things that we now know we don't know.

But there are also unknown unknowns – there are things we do not know we don’t know."

this is a known unknown... :)

to quote my good friend...

"There are known knowns; there are things we know that we know.

There are known unknowns; that is to say, there are things that we now know we don't know.

But there are also unknown unknowns – there are things we do not know we don’t know."

this is a known unknown... :)

That clears that up then !

On the surface without his goals we would have been relegated - but IMO that is too simplistic. His lack of pace and ability to hold the ball up (though I think some of this is down to the service he gets) without doubt impacted the team as a whole. I would liken it to Linekers short spell at Everton - prior to signing him they had won the 1st division - the following season he scored 40 goals in 57 matches and they came second !

Whoever is manager next season has to sort out the Rhodes quandary - how we improve overall team play while not impacting his ability to score. Not certain there is an easy answer - though possibly the return of the Leon Best we saw in pre-season prior to his injury would help (rather than the, understandably, off pace one we saw post injury).

Whoever is manager next season has to sort out the Rhodes quandary - how we improve overall team play while not impacting his ability to score. Not certain there is an easy answer - though possibly the return of the Leon Best we saw in pre-season prior to his injury would help (rather than the, understandably, off pace one we saw post injury).

Has Berkowitz hung his boots up yet? :rover:

Guest Norbert

I don't think a man who thought his neighbour's dog told him to kill people in New York could help our team score more goals Gordon. Help get rid of our 'owners/investors', if released, then yes but I don't think he could he could instruct our midfield to arrive late in the box or put cheeky through balls between defenders.

They could, easily, it's just not their policy. Buy young and obscure and sell them for a profit is what Celtic do. They won't want Rhodes.

i can't see anyone wanting him for around 6 million. Sunderland have Wickham, Wigan won't buy him, Villa perhaps but they aren't going down, Norwich have Holt who would stay, Stoke have Jerome and Jones, Newcastle probably won't go down, QPR already have championship goalscorers, as do Reading.

I could only see Newcastle buying him and they have QPR next. Rhodes will still be here come September. Nobody (else) buys a player for upwards of 6 million when they're in the Championship.

The thing in favour of Rhodes staying is his huge wages, doubt anyone will want to match or better them even if they are prepared to cough up a fee. Unless we have to turf him out or he really wants to go and would will take a pay cut. He's young and knows if he sees out this contract then he's set for life and can still move on, he'd probably refuse to go unless it's a good club that comes in.

what`s in our favour is why would anyone pay 10m for rhodes, when they could probably sign both murray and austin together for the same amount? i think he`ll be staying.

But they couldn't though could they because either of those will cost similar to Rhodes.

Archived