BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rhodes- exit clause in contract

I can't see Rhodes scoring many in the Prem as his finishing is nowhere near as good as some people think - witness v Derby. His all-round game/target man capability is not even good enough at Championship level (eg even CK-R is much better) and nobody plays 2 strikers in the Prem. Rhodes certainly lacks the physicality that has worked for the likes of Holt and Lambert.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know Allan. I'm prepared to put it down to a spell of poor form, in a struggling side.

There's just something about Rhodes. He seems like a bit of a throwback to a time when lads just loved playing football.

Not sure if he can can come good in the PL but just maybe Allardyce can see a "pre-muscle" Kevin Davies in him.

We also are thankfull for that as without his contribution we'd be rooted to the bottom spot. That is unless in the unlikely event that Kean had signed someone decent instead. To me though all Allardyce is ever looking for in a striker is someone to mould into the next Kevin Davies :)

He'll be sorely disappointed with Rhodes then. They could not have timed that story better could they, day before a massive game.

Sam and West ham bid % million for him in January 2012. Hoyle turned them straight down as He wanted Rhodes to stop and get us promotion. This is why he agreed to the summer sale but it had to be for 8 million and above. As I said in the summer we never thought that Blackburn would actually fork out the 8 million. A big thanks goes to Shebby for that one.

West ham and Sam rate him.

Where do you think you'd be if you'd kept him? We know where we would be. You might not be thanking Shebby after tonight huh?

The numpty wouldn't play for us and there was little interest in him from anywhere else. We were lucky to get what we did for him eventually imo.

Interesting to see he now seems to be in the process of taking Stoke down, hard to see how that could happen when according to some he is Ya Ya Tore mark 2

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/Stoke-City-Steven-Nzonzi-fifth-best-signing-year/story-18392197-detail/story.html#axzz2Qd3syDJe

Very talented footballer. Only problem with him is that he's French and has a silly petulant attitude. He takes some managing, as do many players.

In the right hands he's a great asset to have. Unfortunately, like Nelsen, Emerton, Diouf and the rest, Venkys decided to shower their misguided loyalty all over the real 'numpty' in the situation.

I can't see Rhodes scoring many in the Prem as his finishing is nowhere near as good as some people think - witness v Derby. His all-round game/target man capability is not even good enough at Championship level (eg even CK-R is much better) and nobody plays 2 strikers in the Prem. Rhodes certainly lacks the physicality that has worked for the likes of Holt and Lambert.

I've maintained this throughout the season. Rhodes is a goalscorer, and there's nothing wrong with that - up until a certain level.

How many players are there in the PL now that can't play back to goal or the lone striker role? IMO £8m was an awful lot of money and was a punt taken by a clueless man who titles himself 'Global Advisor'. Release clause or not, we won't get anywhere near £8m for him I don't think.

Question for everyone... Who would you rather have... Shane Long or JR?? I'd take Long - I use him as an example because I would have him down as a solid PL player in an established PL club.

And before anyone jumps on my back, he's been our P.O.T.S and I have nothing against him, just my observation from watching him.

Jordan Rhodes, he scores when he can (mostly based on a chance/goal ratio, assuming our manager, which could be anyone this week, decides to pick a team with an ounce of creativity).

I think it flows.

I've maintained this throughout the season. Rhodes is a goalscorer, and there's nothing wrong with that - up until a certain level.

How many players are there in the PL now that can't play back to goal or the lone striker role? IMO £8m was an awful lot of money and was a punt taken by a clueless man who titles himself 'Global Advisor'. Release clause or not, we won't get anywhere near £8m for him I don't think.

Question for everyone... Who would you rather have... Shane Long or JR?? I'd take Long - I use him as an example because I would have him down as a solid PL player in an established PL club.

And before anyone jumps on my back, he's been our P.O.T.S and I have nothing against him, just my observation from watching him.

I totally agree with you. Michael Owen was quoted recently saying that strikers like him (i.e. goalscorers that need to play off a target man) don't have a place in the modern game. It's not enough to just convert chances anymore, it's a team game. Has there been a single game this season where anyone could say Rhodes played well for ninety minutes (I know you could level this at most players, but then they didn't cost £8 million)?

I honestly believe we would have been clear of relegation this season if £8 million and been split between defence, midfield and attack. The fee isn't Rhodes' fault of course and he's probably done as well as can be expected for a player stepping up from League One in a team that was set up purely for him to score goals (a luxury that can be afforded in lower divisions).

I think he'll develop in time to be similar to the likes of Danny Graham, Steven Fletcher, Ricky Lambert, Bobby Zamora - i.e. top Championship/lower half PL striker. It took those players quite a few years in the lower divisions to develop their all round game, and they all share limitations with Rhodes in terms of pace. The bonus for them was that they were able to get on with it without the weight of a hefty fee.

Re Rhodes chants .

The most silly is ... He scores when he wants...

If he did we would win 10-0 every game . It should be .... He scores when he can .

i'm sorry but "bring your vodka..bring your charlie..jordan rhodes is having a party" really is pathetic!!

i'm sorry but "bring your vodka..bring your charlie..jordan rhodes is having a party" really is pathetic!!

What kind of party would that be?

Sounds like something from Shameless.

Give me quiche, vol au vents and pass-the-parcel any day.

• Backroom

we never thought that Blackburn would actually fork out the 8 million. A big thanks goes to Shebby for that one.

Not often I say this and I don't want to make a habit of it but what the hell, thank you Shebby as well :P

The thing is, they originally didn't need the money because of Dean "God" Hoyle.

So I'm not sure why they're even that bothered about the 8 million over 4 or 5 seasons.

What's that? An extra million a year in the transfer kitty? That might stabilise them until it ran out. Players like Rhodes could have taken them to the next level.

25 goals now in this mediocre Rovers side?.....bigger clubs will be looking on make no mistake.

Agree with this. If he plays in a team that can fire crosses to him from all over the oppositions half rather than knocking it long and watching him chase it all game he could score more than 25 over a season no question.

I dread to think where we would of been without his goals .

Best been injured most of season and has not looked upto being consistent in the 10 games or so he has played .

Whilst no one else in squad seems capable of hitting double figures.

Strikers come at a premium rate , yes the odd bargain emerges now and again , however I think that 8 million will be the difference come May.

It can be argued we should of spent that money in other departments , however that would of left rovers goal shy IMO

• Backroom

Let's face it, if that money had been spent elsewhere is it likely it would have been spent on decent players, given the recruitment policy in general over the summer?

If we stay up this year Rhodes will have played perhaps the biggest part with his goals. My hope is that his current wage with us (around £40k p/w?) will put off lower end prem clubs and other Championship clubs. If a mid-table or upper-table Premier League club comes in for him then he's off.

• Backroom

I dread to think where we would of been without his goals .

Best been injured most of season and has not looked upto being consistent in the 10 games or so he has played .

Whilst no one else in squad seems capable of hitting double figures.

Strikers come at a premium rate , yes the odd bargain emerges now and again , however I think that 8 million will be the difference come May.

It can be argued we should of spent that money in other departments , however that would of left rovers goal shy IMO

You can't argue that Jordan hasn't done the job he's meant to do and we should be thankful, while I personally believe 8 million on a couple of other players could have seen us stronger as a unit and possibly better off overall its all hypothetical at this stage and there is nothing to suggest Shebby / Kean / anyone else would have brought the desired players in

Sam and West ham bid % million for him in January 2012. Hoyle turned them straight down as He wanted Rhodes to stop and get us promotion. This is why he agreed to the summer sale but it had to be for 8 million and above. As I said in the summer we never thought that Blackburn would actually fork out the 8 million. A big thanks goes to Shebby for that one.

West ham and Sam rate him.

Where do you think you'd be if you'd kept him? We know where we would be. You might not be thanking Shebby after tonight huh?

So??? Lost for words are we Ben?

Archived