BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Greatest Goal Ever Scored At Ewood Park.

It'll be 50 years ago this Saturday the 13th since I saw what I consider to be the greatest goal I ever saw at Ewood Park.

It was Easter Saturday and the day before Rovers had played really well in beating a good Sheffield Wed team 3-0 at Ewood. Next day Rovers were playing West Brom,also at home. We were in the old 1st Division and both teams were good footballing teams who liked to entertain.

Rovers attacked the Blackburn end and started quite slowly allowing the Baggies to take an early lead courtesy of a defensive error by the normally rock solid Matt Woods. Rovers gradually got back into the game and equalised on about the half hour mark with a calmly taken Bryan Douglas penalty.

The teams went in all square and I made my way along to the Darwen end to stand behind the goals.

The moment I refer to came roughly on the hour mark. Bryan Douglas who had been tormenting the Baggies throughout the first half with his probing runs from centre midfield picked up the ball in the centre circle, slipped past an oncoming tackler and set off for goal with his usual shuffling run.

Opposing players came at him from either side but with a feint and change of pace he left them both behind. On he went down the old inside right channel, more would be tacklers confronted him but were left looking at an empty space as his absolute mastery of ball control left them for dead.

About 25 yards out the last line of WBA defenders decided to come out in a last ditch attempt to stop him at all costs. He jinked inside the on-rushing centre half then straightened up and moved the ball onto his right foot. After a quick glance up he just calmly side footed a firm drive into the top corner right in front of where I was standing. I just stood there open mouthed at what I had witnessed.

With that he turned briskly on his heel and jogged back to the centre circle. No grabbing the ball out of the net or running to the corner flag for a knee slide, just a little smile that crept across his face. His team-mates shook his hand and slapped his back but the greatest tribute came from the WBA players who to a man applauded him back to the centre circle.

I think he beat 7 or 8 Baggies players, given the fact he never really got into top gear, he beat some of them twice ! After he put them on their backside some of them got up, ran after him and had another go but with the same outcome.

Mick McGrath got a tap in from about 2 yards out to make the game 3-1 and safe for the Rovers about 10 minutes from the end of the game.

Alf Thornton in his match report for the " Last Sports " praised the goal to the skies saying that " Douglas was one of the few players in the world capable of scoring a goal of such genius ".

I used to have the match report and a great photo from one of the Sunday papers. It showed Bryan in the act of scoring with 4 or 5 WBA players scattered around, some on the ground, some getting back to their feet with a dotted line showing where Bryan had dribbled past them !

I won't there in body on Saturday but I'll be there in mind and spirit. About 4.25 in the afternoon I'll raise my glass and give a toast to the greatest goal I ever saw in the flesh and the greatest player I ever saw wearing the famous halved shirt. Cheers Dougie, I hope you remember it as well as I do.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool idea, enjoyed that Tyrone. Thanks.

Best I was actually present for was probably Tugay vs Fulham.

Best I've seen by a Rovers player, probably Tugay vs Spurs.

Best ever? Probably Matt Le Tissier.

Best ever? Probably Matt Le Tissier.

This is the correct answer. Just a ridiculous goal. Almost the whole of the Blackburn end stood and clapped.

My fave Rovers goal is probably that lob against Norwich. Pederson v Fulham is also up there, mainly because of the ridiculous cross by Kuqi that he would never be able to do again in a million years.

Good topic... For me it's:

1. Le Tissier

2. Tugay vs Portsmouth ( my daughters first ever game at the age of 4)

3. Duff vs Wimbledon

I might see Bryan this weekend so will ask him about WBA but sounds like a great goal!

4. Pederson vs Fulham

5, Batty vs Leeds (top corner screamer)

6. Warhurst chip vs Man Utd

• Backroom

1) Matt Le Tiss

2) Shearer vs QPR

3 ) Tugays volley

These are the best goal I have been present for I would say with some notable mentions being Paul Warhursts against united and a free kick a city defender scored from about 45 yards

One of my favourites was Shearers chip in the 7-1 thrashing of Norwich

These are the best goal I have been present for I would say with some notable mentions being Paul Warhursts against united and a free kick a city defender scored from about 45 yards

One of my favourites was Shearers chip in the 7-1 thrashing of Norwich

Michael Tarnat -

Thanks TS for reliving that memory. I was 13 then and can remember the WBA players applauding but couldn't see from my stool at the BBE as to what was the reason for their admiration. I can still remember all that red crap on my shoes from the track though.

Bryan Douglas; my all time hero.

Liverpool FA Cup was 1987 I think.

1983 was Man Utd.

Might have been the season before ? It was a cracking control and shot on the turn against a brilliant Liverpool side. I was kid stood in nuttal Street enclosure and i couldn't believe we were beating Liverpool. Lasted about 5 mins lol we lost 2-1.

Opposition again straight off top of my head

The City goal mentioned 00's

Less Tiss 90's

Megson for Sheff Wed 80's

great memories Tyrone. I was there thar day myself.

Second greatest ever goal at Ewood? How about Thierry Henry's fantastic solo effort when he took the ball from the edge of his own area, down the left wing and hammered in an unstoppable shot off the underside of the crossbar. Can't remember the year.

great memories Tyrone. I was there thar day myself.

Second greatest ever goal at Ewood? How about Thierry Henry's fantastic solo effort when he took the ball from the edge of his own area, down the left wing and hammered in an unstoppable shot off the underside of the crossbar. Can't remember the year.

If it is the one I'm thinking of then it was about 2007ish. But that one he played a one-two with Fabregas, then scored....despite us having 6 men back.

It'll be 50 years ago this Saturday the 13th since I saw what I consider to be the greatest goal I ever saw at Ewood Park.

It was Easter Saturday and the day before Rovers had played really well in beating a good Sheffield Wed team 3-0 at Ewood. Next day Rovers were playing West Brom,also at home. We were in the old 1st Division and both teams were good footballing teams who liked to entertain.

Rovers attacked the Blackburn end and started quite slowly allowing the Baggies to take an early lead courtesy of a defensive error by the normally rock solid Matt Woods. Rovers gradually got back into the game and equalised on about the half hour mark with a calmly taken Bryan Douglas penalty.

The teams went in all square and I made my way along to the Darwen end to stand behind the goals.

The moment I refer to came roughly on the hour mark. Bryan Douglas who had been tormenting the Baggies throughout the first half with his probing runs from centre midfield picked up the ball in the centre circle, slipped past an oncoming tackler and set off for goal with his usual shuffling run.

Opposing players came at him from either side but with a feint and change of pace he left them both behind. On he went down the old inside right channel, more would be tacklers confronted him but were left looking at an empty space as his absolute mastery of ball control left them for dead.

About 25 yards out the last line of WBA defenders decided to come out in a last ditch attempt to stop him at all costs. He jinked inside the on-rushing centre half then straightened up and moved the ball onto his right foot. After a quick glance up he just calmly side footed a firm drive into the top corner right in front of where I was standing. I just stood there open mouthed at what I had witnessed.

With that he turned briskly on his heel and jogged back to the centre circle. No grabbing the ball out of the net or running to the corner flag for a knee slide, just a little smile that crept across his face. His team-mates shook his hand and slapped his back but the greatest tribute came from the WBA players who to a man applauded him back to the centre circle.

I think he beat 7 or 8 Baggies players, given the fact he never really got into top gear, he beat some of them twice ! After he put them on their backside some of them got up, ran after him and had another go but with the same outcome.

Memory is a strange thing and often plays tricks on us. I think this game was the one when the radio had made a big mistake in announcing that it would be the game to be broadcast live that afternoon. They never named the venue in case it reduced the gate for the home club.

I took my transistor radio with me to listen whilst watching the match from the Blackburn End. My recollection of the goal was that Dougie set off from near the Riverside touchline and halfway line heading diagonally towards the "D" of the WBA penalty area. The WBA players seemed to stand off expecting him to pass but he suddenly beat two or three in the penalty area and scored a cracking goal that West Brom least expected.

As I said memory plays strange tricks.

One of my favourite Rovers goals was by Kevin Gallacher at Old Trafford where he beat the Utd centre back (Pallister?) for speed and flicked the ball past Schmeichel with the outside of his right boot so the ball just nestled into the net. You don't have to shoot with power to score good goals.

Well that's three of us guys that witnessed that goal, sometimes I think it was all a dream. The gate was 11,451 apparently ! Nothing much has changed there then.

Your description of the goal was tremendous Tyrone. I want an honest answer to this - how much do you "definitely" remember about that goal?

Archived