BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Greatest Goal Ever Scored At Ewood Park.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a relief this thread is !! Something tells me there'll be more nostalgia threads coming up soon....

Unfortunately I can't recall one specific goal which sounds bad, but I always remember the sight of Fred Pickering towering over the centre half to flick the ball on to Andy McEvoy steaming along in the inside right/left position and going on to thump the ball int'back o'tnet. This happened more than once....

• Backroom

Unfortunately I have very little choice. Fortunately, there are still some right belters in there:

Tugay's Special vs Spurs (and Robbo).
Henry down the LM, 1-2 with Fabregas and a 30yd rocket in off the bar and post.
Pedersen vs Fulham (and Tugay vs Fulham for that matter).
Benni McCarthy vs Arsenal in the FA Cup.
For sheer shock value, Bentley's hat-trick goal vs ManUtd to make it 4-1.
McCarthy stepover, turn and low drive vs Salzburg
Bentley's mad (half?)volley vs Salzburg.
N'Zonzi vs Everton a couple seasons back was a good'un. As was Roberts' one-touch volley later on.
Even Mokoena vs Sunderland in the FA Cup (Givet's debut, I believe?)

My God, we've had some good goals there and that's only in my ST years.

Duggie's goal was from my era but I must have missed that game - shame. Best Rovers goal from those days I can remember poeple talking about was Mike Ferguson's away to Aston Villa - apparently he danced round the whole Villa defence and then sat on the ball on the Villa goalline before tapping it in. Brilliant !

From the modern era for sheer technical brilliance I have seen nothing better than Di Canio's scissor-kick volley for West Ham against I don't know who. For a forward it's hard enough to get a good contact on a ball that is coming across you at pace but to do so on the volley and with a scissor kick to boot was extraordinary.

anyone mentioned matt jansen's debut goal v spurs? gets the ball, flicks it up and volleys it into the bottom corner, was in the blackburn end and people around me looked stunned, whilst looking at one another, wondering how the kean he did that.

Can't find it on youtube and forget who the opposition was, but I always remember Le Saux 30 yards out brings down the ball with back heel of one foot and then with the same movement volleys into the top corner with other one. it bugs me now that I can;t remember who or when? anyone remember?

Arsenal at home I think Robert. He also scored a cracker away to Man City in our title winning season.

I'm pretty sure that was against Arsenal as well.

We've seen some belters over the years. Top 4 for me, no new ones here.

1. Shearer v QPR - hat trick goal. Never seen a shot like it. (Ok, maybe Steven Reids at Wigan, but this was further out and Shearer added dramatic effect by making it bounce of the crossbar first) Just a shame that the cameras didnt properly capture it, it was vicious!

2. Tugay v Fulham. Middle of the bat, the sweet spot. What technique he had.

3. Speedie v Derby. Our 4th goal and what a come back.

4. Garns v Man City. Right in the postage stamp. Another hat trick goal.

Gav mentioned it earlier but the Newell screamer in the first leg of the play offs v Derby.

The Premiership dream was fading to nothing but when that ball hit the net every rovers fan at Ewood knew we were going up. The ground was bouncing for all of the HT break.

Unforgettable.

Archived