[Archived] Squad for next season

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brief resume of the article:

Loanees (8)

GK Greg Sandomierski - Rovers have first option to sign him

RM CKR - the same

Cameron Stewart, DJ Campbell, Karim Rekik, David Bentley - return to their clubs

David Jones - contract ending at Wigan, could stay

Todd Kane - new contract at Chelsea, could sign season long loan

Out on loan (6)

Ruben Rochina - has played regularly, Saragoça have option to sign him, still isn't clear because they could go down, 2 more years of contract with Rovers

Formica - has hardly played, should come back. Has one more year of contract

Paulo Jorge - hasn't played

Edinho Junior - has been called to Portugal under 21 team

Diogo Rosado - has been a regular for Benfica B

Bruno Ribeiro - ends loan and has one more year of contract

Out of contract (17)

John O’Sullivan, Raheem Hanley, Hugo Fernandez, Micah Evans, Osayamen Osawe, Christopher Dilo, Matty Urwin, Jamie Maclaren, Will Beesley, Reece Hands, Curtis Haley, Peter Wylie, Kellen Daly, Ryan Humphreys, Danny Laverty and Darragh Lenihan from the youth team

David Dunn - possible new contract

Under contract (30)

Seb Usai, Ryan Edwards, Tim Payne, Jack O’Connell, Anthony O’Connor and Robbie Cotton.

Danny Murphy, Nuno Gomes, Gael Givet, MGPedersen, Bradley Orr, Markus Olsson, Lee Williamson, Josh Morris - contract until 2014

Robinson, Dann, Martin Olsson, Grant Hanley, Josh King, David Goodwillie, Nuno Henrique, Fabio Nunes, Anton Forrester and Jordan Slew signed deals until 2015.

Jake Kean, Jason Lowe and Leon Best have contracts until 2016

Rhodes and Adam Henley - 2017

Thanks Oklahoma. Good work. A briefer description of the article is that we're utterly maxed in our wage bill and squad size with no room to maneuver.

Not sure if am more disappointed by the "seasoned pros" taking a big wage like Murphy, the Portugese wasters being on the books, or that clearly substandard players like Marcus Olsson and Slew still have contracts with us.

Shame as amongst all that dross is a good nucleus for a promotion push: Givet, Hanley, Henley in defense, Kean or Robbo in goal, Lowe as a great utility option, Martin Olsson and King are good wingers at this level, Rochina is an outstanding talent, Rhodes is a beast and I still think the likes of Pedersen and Williamson have things to offer Heck even Ribeiro looked decent at this level!

Sadly there's no room to build around this because of all the other players in the squad. Shows what a mess we are.

• Backroom

Quite worrying just how many young lads are out of contract

You could see them not renewing a lot of them as a cost cutting measure

Fernandez will have to be given a chance soon though or I think he'll be off. Judging by some of his tweets this season he seemed to be growing increasingly impatient - not surprising considering how poor our midfield has been at times.

Chris Burke would be excellent signing and I think out of contract at Brum in the summer.

I will look at Yeovil striker Paddy Madden who has scored 23 league goals for them and get them into the playoffs.

another player I would look is Luke Murphy from Crewe who is centre mid and only 24.

plus look at out of contract players this summer and aswell loan players from premiership clubs like Chelsea and Man City

Chris Burke has signed a one year extension.

I sent a message to the club about Aleksander Ring, a young Finnish midfielder. It was two years ago and he was about to play his first international game. Now he is close to sign for Newcastle from Monchengladbach for £500K. Not PL standard player but would be useful in the championship.

Don't you think we have enough 'Rings' at the club already?

I hope we have a massive clear out. Some we won't be able to get rid of due to the money they are on but out of all the loanees I would only like to see jones signed and hopefully get Kane back for a season. Jones on a free is a no brainer. He may not be dazzling to watch but he is the kind of player we were crying out for.

I don't understand the obsession with ckr. Never looked interested. He has talent but only when he can be bothered does he show it.

I can't help but feel next season is going to be a bigger struggle

Well, it turns out our current squad as more problems to solve than I thought.

According to this LT article, Givet and Robinson still have one and two years of contract. So, unless someone wants them, we have to keep them for more time.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/10400201._/?

Unbelievable that we have 61 players at our disposal, we could surely get by on around half with a little more quality and a little less quantity. 4 0 out the very outside including youngsters.

Absolutely imperative for me that we keep Rhodes and recall Rochina. Sandomierski,

Jones and Kane look like they would be good acquisitions. One or two of the younger lads will presumably have enough potential to be offered new deals and Bowyer should be well equipped to advise on that.

I've previously identified a core of 15-16 senior players I'd like to see us keep. The rest can all go for me we'd need 6 or 7 inspired signings and then have the best of the younger players as back up. Of course it won't work out as drastic as that in practice, it won't be possible to shift some players on high wages, Pedersen will probably still be here drawing the adjusted for inflation equivalent of 50k p.w. when he's 90.

• Backroom

Well if Pedersen continues to improve our win percentages as drastically as he has this season I'm happy for him to collect that wage

Stats are often misleading but there must be something more than a coincidence there

Well if Pedersen continues to improve our win percentages as drastically as he has this season I'm happy for him to collect that wage

Stats are often misleading but there must be something more than a coincidence there

Pedersen has gone through the motions once again this season and contributed next to nothing apart from that very smartly taken goal when he went and produced the walking stick. And reportedly was an embarrassment in games such as Burnley away.

You can manipulate the stats all you want, the evidence of watching the games and his performance and effort levels on the pitch tell a very different story.

Tom, the way the finances are nobody should be getting anything like that sort of money at Ewood Park, especially any of the wasters. The penny doesn't seem to have dropped for you does it ?

• Backroom

Sorry I couldn't quite understand that

Any chance you could make it more patronising? :P

Of course I don't really think he should be paid ridiculous amounts but there is some proof to show he has been valuable to us this season

Sorry I couldn't quite understand that

Any chance you could make it more patronising? :P

Of course I don't really think he should be paid ridiculous amounts but there is some proof to show he has been valuable to us this season

"The little 'k' after 50, as in 50k, means 'thousand', you know!!!"

:P

• Backroom

Is he actually on that though? And if so who is likely to offer him the same so it may be academic anyway.

Fantastic servant to the club in his time that can still offer something but no we shouldn't be paying anyone close to that amount

He's past it Tom. Even at this level. He should be playing in the legends match later in the month.

Time to let go.

Meanwhile, in Venkyworld, like Bowyer he's probably better than the likely alternative. :(

Is he actually on that though? And if so who is likely to offer him the same so it may be academic anyway.

Fantastic servant to the club in his time that can still offer something but no we shouldn't be paying anyone close to that amount

Unfortunately Tom, that time was 2004-2008!

Archived