BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] A study of Blackburn Rovers

I'm currently doing a study of Blackburn Rovers and wondered if you could help me with a few things.

I'm studying the how league performance affects gate attendances and over the last 10 years yours has been pretty standard i.e. as you've performed better your attendance has slightly increased and vice versa. But in 2006 you finished 6th which is the highest you've finished in the last 10 years but your average gate attendance was only 21,000 which is the lowest it's been in the last 10 years.

Just wondered what the reason for this is? Was it high ticket prices or ground redevelopment or something?

I'd appreciate any help, thanks.

I've made a graph if anyone would like to see it. Not sure how to get it onto here though.

Season before wasn't all that great which would've influenced season ticket sales.

Also I think that was just before the club significantly reduced season ticket prices.

Thanks for the reply. Attendances barely increased the season after though despite you finishing 6th the season before. But then in 2008 they increase greatly which I guess is when the ticket prices were reduced?

And apologies for my ignorance but when did the Venky's takeover and has their been a boycott of matches at any point because of them?

Thanks for the reply. Attendances barely increased the season after though despite you finishing 6th the season before. But then in 2008 they increase greatly which I guess is when the ticket prices were reduced?

And apologies for my ignorance but when did the Venky's takeover and has their been a boycott of matches at any point because of them?

Venky's bought Rovers in November 2010 (heaven forbid). I think there have been boycotts ever since later on that season, they have a lot to answer for in a drop in attendance since they have arrived.

Venky's bought Rovers in November 2010 (heaven forbid). I think there have been boycotts ever since later on that season, they have a lot to answer for in a drop in attendance since they have arrived.

Yeah I see there has been a decline. Why is that then? Is it higher ticket prices or selling best players or something else?

• Moderation Lead

Yeah I see there has been a decline. Why is that then? Is it higher ticket prices or selling best players or something else?

Awful, awful ownership- bad decision after bad decision etc.

I could go on, but along with others I'm fed up of the whole thing!!

ticket prices have pretty much been the same...

venkys have lost the fans in droves with how they treat the fans with contempt, and continually employing No-marks, and taking rank bad advice off people who should have no contact with the game...

i could go on and on

many fans have said they will not attend again till venkys go.......

statistically it would be interesting to see if that actually did happen

The prices were creaping up significantly that season i seem to remember. Also a reflection of that was seen in away support visiting Ewood. Blackburn is just one of those places were every pound counts, no matter how good the team is if it's expensive to watch then people will pick and choose or not go at all. The other side of the coin is the team can be mediocre but if it's reasonably priced we'll get good crowds compared to the population as seen under Allardyce etc. Oh and when it's crap and owned and run by tossers with hidden agendas people won't watch at any price :(

Boycotts have not been a particular orgainised thing, it is simply; once loyal fans and fans of Premier League Football waking away because they percieve very little enjoyment is watching highly paid players not give 100% and losing week after week to supposed inferior teams.

There are fans of many years that won't return untill Venkys have gone. But most of the ones that no longer attend are used to Permier League football and seeing Permier League Stars week in week out. These fans probably watch Barca and Real Madrid on SKY instead.

As for ticket prices Blackburn is poor as you can get... Even £200 for a season ticket is too much if you have no work.

The biggest reason going forward as to why attendances will not increase significantly, is that he demographic of footballs fans is not serverd by the population of Blackburn. The typical fan is a ever decreasing breed in this part of the world.

So no matter what division BRFC are in, OR who the owners are. The price to pay prefessional footballers can not be sustained by a future reduction in eligable fans to put bums on seats and money through the door.

Expect BRFC attendances to be sub > 9999 next season. This is more the true figure of pepole willing to "attend" football matches at Ewwod Park to support BRFC.

Thanks for all the responses so far, they've been very helpful.

I hope Blackburn stay up this season (I think you will) a decent club that doesn't deserve to be anywhere near L1.

I'm sure I'll have more questions at some point and I'll post the final report up if anyone is interested in reading it. I've been looking at the club in detail including the accounts and some of you might find it interesting.

Most people also forget that the first organised protest happened almost a year after Venky's bought the club. (Think the bald one had about 10 months in charge by then).

That was the Arsenal game in mid-september.

Do you live on the dark side of the moon ?

I'm currently doing a study of Blackburn Rovers and wondered if you could help me with a few things.

I'm studying the how league performance affects gate attendances and over the last 10 years yours has been pretty standard i.e. as you've performed better your attendance has slightly increased and vice versa. But in 2006 you finished 6th which is the highest you've finished in the last 10 years but your average gate attendance was only 21,000 which is the lowest it's been in the last 10 years.

Just wondered what the reason for this is? Was it high ticket prices or ground redevelopment or something?

I'd appreciate any help, thanks.

I've made a graph if anyone would like to see it. Not sure how to get it onto here though.

Like it or not we live and work in a town that is not affluent and the population is not that great.

People rightly need value for money for their liesure activities.

Now compare the attendance of say Arsenal, Spurs or Birmingham against population as a per centage? You can take out the population of London and reduce by a factor of 8 taking in other London clubs, the same with Birmingham by a factor of 4 and do the same calculation. Now who are the better supported teams, despite the drop? William Hill will close the betting on that one.

Thanks for all the responses so far, they've been very helpful.

I hope Blackburn stay up this season (I think you will) a decent club that doesn't deserve to be anywhere near L1.

I'm sure I'll have more questions at some point and I'll post the final report up if anyone is interested in reading it. I've been looking at the club in detail including the accounts and some of you might find it interesting.

"I've been looking at the club in detail including the accounts and some of you might find it interesting".

Yet you don't know when the takeover was.

Archived