BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Would you be in favour of dropping the Blue & White Halves?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But it did.

I just don't believe that our "history" or "identity" is contained within colours. It's in the people, the name, the fans and all we've achieved as a club. That's what's real and tangible. Keeping things the same "because it's always been that way" is just very strange to me.

But it did.

I just don't believe that our "history" or "identity" is contained within colours. It's in the people, the name, the fans and all we've achieved as a club. That's what's real and tangible. Keeping things the same "because it's always been that way" is just very strange to me.

Why is the name more important than the shirt? If being called Blackburn Google or Blackburn Pepsi meant we were bank rolled in the same way then what's the difference?

You are right about identity but in my opinion "blue and white halves" is up there with "Rovers" as key elements of our identity.

Why is the name more important than the shirt? If being called Blackburn Google or Blackburn Pepsi meant we were bank rolled in the same way then what's the difference?

You are right about identity but in my opinion "blue and white halves" is up there with "Rovers" as key elements of our identity.

Because we are called "Blackburn Rovers". If you say that name, people know who you are talking about. It identifies us. If you say "the team that plays in blue and white" that doesn't narrow it down enough.

Our name is unique. Our colours are not. As I keep saying, what does heritage and tradition actually do for you? For me all it does it stop you from moving forwards.

• Backroom

I would accept any change as long as all the following stay in place:

Name contains Blackburn Rovers
Blue/White halves.
Crest involving the Red Rose of Lancashire.
Based at Ewood (or at least in/around Blackburn).
The 'Named' Stands do not get name changes (other than ADDED sponsors).

In terms of something I would change (not important), I would like a future crest to re-incorporate the original Maltese Cross in some way.

Because we are called "Blackburn Rovers". If you say that name, people know who you are talking about. It identifies us. If you say "the team that plays in blue and white" that doesn't narrow it down enough.

Our name is unique. Our colours are not. As I keep saying, what does heritage and tradition actually do for you? For me all it does it stop you from moving forwards.

The blue and white halved strip is the most famous and well-known thing about Rovers. Every football fan in Britain and a decent proportion of the rest of the world know that blue and white halves is Blackburn Rovers. When Spurs used it for their 125 year anniversary season, I watched a game on tv where a commentator said it didn't look right because it was Blackburn's kit. This is talking about one of the biggest and most successful ever english clubs, and they were criticised for wearing our kit. Could City make such a claim on light blue? Maybe one day, but they'll have to spend a lot more time at the top and a lot more money to take that kind of ownership over a strip. Barcelona have it, Inter and AC Milan have it, there's not many others. That kind of iconic status is almost priceless, ask Burnley fans how they feel when someone thinks they're in Villa or West Ham colours. It'd be a crime to change it.

The blue and white halved strip is the most famous and well-known thing about Rovers. Every football fan in Britain and a decent proportion of the rest of the world know that blue and white halves is Blackburn Rovers. When Spurs used it for their 125 year anniversary season, I watched a game on tv where a commentator said it didn't look right because it was Blackburn's kit. This is talking about one of the biggest and most successful ever english clubs, and they were criticised for wearing our kit. Could City make such a claim on light blue? Maybe one day, but they'll have to spend a lot more time at the top and a lot more money to take that kind of ownership over a strip. Barcelona have it, Inter and AC Milan have it, there's not many others. That kind of iconic status is almost priceless, ask Burnley fans how they feel when someone thinks they're in Villa or West Ham colours. It'd be a crime to change it.

Spot on SKH. It is instantly recognisable. Whenever we travel to games from Scotland, and me or my lads are wearing the shirt, people always come up and talk to us and don't need to look at the badge or the shirt sponsor to suss out which team we support as you do with most other club's shirts. Others that fall into the same category are Celtic, Hibs, Wolves, Blackpool, Arsenal (borderline), Bristol Rovers (though I bet they get mistaken for Blackburn Rovers on occasions). There are probably others but I can't instantly think of any (Bradford/Motherwell maybe). One of the few things left to be proud of!!

Most fans would begrudgingly accept it if the club was doing well.

I dont believe that for one minute,the colours we wear are part of our heritage and long history.

The style and colours are part of the identity that makes us Blackburn Rovers...nobody would want to see that change NOBODY!

Add the fact that it is one of the smartest kits around...leave well alone!!

blackburn_1878_300.jpg

I dont believe that for one minute,the colours we wear are part of our heritage,nobody would want to see that change NOBODY!

It would have been interesting to ask some of those Cardiff fans taking part in the pitch invasion how they felt about it at that moment in time.

It would have been interesting to ask some of those Cardiff fans taking part in the pitch invasion how they felt about it at that moment in time.

I take your point LeChuck, but Cardiff's kit wasn't instantly recognisable (some would say unique) in the way that ours is, and I think in that sense it lessens the impact of their change.

I take your point LeChuck, but Cardiff's kit wasn't instantly recognisable (some would say unique) in the way that ours is, and I think in that sense it lessens the impact of their change.

Indeed. They have only played it in since 1910 and are nicknamed the Bluebirds so I expect their fans barely noticed the change

Indeed. They have only played it in since 1910 and are nicknamed the Bluebirds so I expect their fans barely noticed the change

Very clever. But I think you've totally missed my point. Plenty of teams play in all blue shirts. Nobody was suggesting that Cardiff fans would be happy about it, but if you saw a guy on a train with a blue football shirt on, you don't automatically think "Ah, there's a Cardiff supporter".

Yeah you're right, it's priceless. That's why we stand on the precipice of League One.

I dont believe that for one minute,the colours we wear are part of our heritage and long history.

The style and colours are part of the identity that makes us Blackburn Rovers...nobody would want to see that change NOBODY!

Add the fact that it is one of the smartest kits around...leave well alone!!

blackburn_1878_300.jpg

I never said fans would want it, I said they'd 'accept it' if the club was successful. Sure, they might grumble, raise concerns at the FF (for all it's worth), but I doubt there'd be mass boycotts for changing the strip.

I never said fans would want it, I said they'd 'accept it' if the club was successful. Sure, they might grumble, raise concerns at the FF (for all it's worth), but I doubt there'd be mass boycotts for changing the strip.

I really don't think they would. The strip obviously means a lot more to some fans that it does to others, I'm with those who find the very idea nauseating. Personally I'd go from buying the shirt every season to never buying it again, and I honestly think my enthusiasm and loyalty would take a big blow. When I've had a drink or 2 I can see our shirt somewhere and practically glow with pride. Its a shirt that has achieved the recognition it has on the back of 3 League Titles, 6 FA Cups and 1 League Cup. Whats this "success" we're getting for changing it? Another spell around mid-table in the PL? So you're throwing away the symbol of a glorious history in exchange for a temporary future of moderate but ultimately unrewarded success. You're also throwing away something that has lasted 138 years for something likely to last less than 10. There really is little to no merit in this argument, its daft.

Struggling to see how those 2 things are connected. We don't stand on the precipice of League One because we've got no money so what on earth are you talking about.

Ok, I'll dumb it down for you.

Keeping certain colours achieves NOTHING. Sticking with tradition achieves NOTHING. What have either of these things done for us recently? NOTHING. It's all psychological, non-tangible nonsense.

The original post was asking if we would change colours in light of Cardiff's promotion. In other words, if success were to come with it, would we accept it? My answer is a resounding yes, and this original question is the basis for my responses. If its playing in League Two in blue and white halves, or in the Premier League with all red shirts, the answer is a complete no brainier for me.

I can never understand why people give so much power to things that are, in the scheme of importance, incredibly trivial. We are debating the colour of the players clothes, and whether it would be better to have success or dress a certain way and be rubbish. Why is it even debatable?!

Ok, I'll dumb it down for you.

Keeping certain colours achieves NOTHING. Sticking with tradition achieves NOTHING. What have either of these things done for us recently? NOTHING. It's all psychological, non-tangible nonsense.

The original post was asking if we would change colours in light of Cardiff's promotion. In other words, if success were to come with it, would we accept it? My answer is a resounding yes, and this original question is the basis for my responses. If its playing in League Two in blue and white halves, or in the Premier League with all red shirts, the answer is a complete no brainier for me.

I can never understand why people give so much power to things that are, in the scheme of importance, incredibly trivial. We are debating the colour of the players clothes, and whether it would be better to have success or dress a certain way and be rubbish. Why is it even debatable?!

Why not just change the name too then, while we're at it? We're only called Blackburn Rovers because that's what we've always been called, so let's have a go at something else for the cash. How would you feel about that?

Archived