BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Watford v. Blackburn Rovers preview

Watford v Blackburn Rovers

Saturday 20th April

Kick off 3pm

Vicarage Road Stadium, Watford. WD18 0ER.

Following on from 2 consecutive home victories, most would have anticipated that the six points gained would have seen Rovers almost home and hosed in the quest for Championship survival. Unfortunately our fellow relegation strugglers have failed to read the script and the game against Watford is of greater significance than one would have hoped, with Rovers sat just 2 points above the bottom three with a game in hand and still probably requiring an additional 5 points from the four tricky fixtures remaining to ensure safety.

Watford too are in dire need of points, probably needing to win all three of their remaining games to have any chance of automatic promotion as they trail Hull by 6 points. Gian Franco Zola's side's results of late have been less than impressive and would appear to have imploded at just the wrong time in the season. In the last nine games they have gained only nine points; winning only twice and recording defeats against Blackpool, Peterborough, Millwall and Barnsley in the process.

Despite the recent dip in form, Watford are still comfortably the Championship's leading goalscorers having netted 78 times this season to date. The principle goalscorers have been forwards Matej Vydra (20), Troy Deeney (16) and Fernando Forstieri (8) ably supported from midfield by Almen Abdi and Mark Yeates with 14 between them. Three of the afore mentioned are currently on loan from Udinese.

For Rovers to build on the past couple of games they will need to forget about the most recent bout of off-field nonsense, stem the inevitable first twenty minute onslaught from Watford and build from there. If it is goalless after 30 minutes, I suspect Rovers will leave Vicarage Road with at least a point (ever the optimist!).

The Hornets are likely to select from: Almunia, Abdi, Anya, Battacchio, Cassetti, Chalaobah, Deeney, Doyley, Ekstrand, Forestieri, Hogg, Pudil, Vydra, Yeates and Briggs.

With Hanley and Richards still unavailable because of suspension, Givet will hopefully be given the nod to start at the back for Rovers. Therefore likely starting line up for Rovers: Sandomierski, Kane, Dann, Givet, Olsson, Williamson, Lowe, Jones, King/Dunn, Best and Rhodes.

The Pozzo family

In an era where clubs are put under fierce financial pressure and owners and chairmen don't seem to understand the need to have decent players in place to achieve their goals, a different kind of chairman arrived on the scene in England, offering his club the chance to achieve things via an alternative method, a method generally frowned upon by footballing authority. This is the curious case of the Pozzo Family and their ownership of Watford FC

The Pozzo Family, fronted by Italian businessman Giampaolo Pozzo, are the owners of three different football clubs (Udinese of Italy, Granada of Spain in addition to Watford), different not only geographically but different in mentality. Despite their differences the three Pozzo clubs work together in harmony in order to achieve success on all three fronts. Udinese have had success in Serie A, gaining European qualification on numerous occasions, Granada have had success in the Spanish leagues, going from the brink of destruction in the third tier of Spanish football to back to back promotions which took them into La Liga for the first time in 35 years. They managed to survive albeit in 17th place. Now Watford are looking to follow in their footsteps. The 'secret' to the success of th Pozzo Family is merely an arrangement which allows players to move on loan between the network of clubs which enables clubs to acquire the players they need and the players to get the games that they need. Watford's current first team squad of 32 includes 12 loan players from either Udinese or Granada.

Is what the Pozzo family are doing harmful to football? They are facilitating the growth and prosperity of three different clubs. The Pozzo family are often criticised in the media, whilst other owners either heap ridicule, mismanage, spend beyond their club's means or use their club to boost their own bank balance and remain unquestioned by the footballing authorities.

Time dictates that I can write no more.

My prediction 1 -1.

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good preview.

Watford are almost out of the race for an automatic promotion slot so we are either going to get hammered as they throw everything at us in a last final throw of the dice or if we can avoid conceding early and frustrate them, we might nick something.

My gut feel is we are going to need one win from either Watford or Millwall if we are not going to pay a return visit to the bottom three at some point in the rest of the run-in.

I think we can get something from this game. A win would be terrific but a draw is certainly achieveable and in my opinion the most likely outcome. Having seen Watford several times this season they like to play in a certain way, they have a kind of Zola footprint about them. I'm sure Gary will have had them watched and will have a plan to stifle their more creative players. For us it is critical that we carry on the momentum gained from the last two games. Keep the tempo and work rate high and the journey home will have made it worthwhile.

I'm predicting a 2-1 win for Rovers. Just think confidence will be high after Tuesday and everything will come together. Crikey, it has to at some point this season!

Looking forward to this one as it's only 20 miles down the road from home. Makes a nice change from the 200 miles up the M6 for a home game!

i'm goin too Jimmy , apparently best place to park is on a girls school car park (£5 but secure) , away fans pub is the oddfellows???

i'm expecting to get beat , so i'll be happy with a draw

i'm goin too Jimmy , apparently best place to park is on a girls school car park (£5 but secure) , away fans pub is the oddfellows???

i'm expecting to get beat , so i'll be happy with a draw

I'll be getting on the train as I live in High Wycombe - Not sure what the away pub is. The Middlesbrough fan on above link recommends it. I guess many Rovers fans will be in the town centre at the Wetherspoons.

Macs Bar, the nearest pub to the ground for away fans.5 mins walk

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs...cs_Bar/Watford

Moon Under Water, a weatherspoons pub

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs..._Water/Watford

this link will cover the other pubs, and bars near the ground.

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs...html?l=watford

This was taken from Watford fans forum under - 'pubs for away fans'

• Moderation Lead

Very interesting preview, nice work!

I try not to be too cynical, but I know what usually happens when Rovers play out of form teams, the buggers always have a habit of re-discovering it!!

Great preview!

Coming over to England this weekend to visit this match, really looking forward to be in the away-end at Vicarage! Only problem is that I don't know all the songs you're singing (except the 'Jordan Rhodes scores when he wants' and very basic Rover ones), so hopefully someone can explain.

See y'all this Saturday in the away end. Goalfest-draw would do for me, as in all my visits, I only witnessed a victory one time...(which in fact also was a very important match at the end of April, 2 seasons ago, home vs. Bolton, 1-0 with Martin Olsson scoring)

Another must win game this season. Hopefully the other teams fighting to avoid relegation will have bad results this time.

rovers to win 0-1.

My team for this game would be:

Sandomierski

Kane, Givet, Dann, Markus Olsson (if Martin is still not available)

Lowe, Jones, Williamson, King

Dunn

Rhodes

Just read that Orr and Bentley are probably available to be selected. I hope Bowyer doesn't even consider select them for the bench.

Other important games this weekend (for us):

Huddersfield vs Millwall

Burnley vs Cardiff
Charlton vs Wolverhampton
Derby vs Peterborough
Nottm Forest vs Barnsley
Sheff Wed vs Ipswich

It's an important game but by no means as important as it could have been. If two of the teams below us slip up and we lose then not much harm will have been done.

If all 4 teams (excluding Bristol obviously) win then that would be bad news for us. Tbh, it's gonna be difficult for Barnsley to overtake us now. Even if they beat forest at the weekend they wont go above us due to gd. They then have Hull and Huddersfield which are tough games. Think they'll get 3/4 points which probably wont be enough.

4 more points will almost certainly be enough. 4 games to get those points.

I once set off from Watfords ground at 2 mins past 5 following a Rovers game and arrived back in Wheelton just 3 minutes after 7, the "powerful" hired Montego just managed to get past the Red Cat and we free wheeled down the hill to the Red Lion. Memories of how away days used to be !

I really think Rovers can get something from the game as long as they dont concede first.

Just praying for a draw!

Millwall seems to be our bogey team this year, played them 3 times already an have 2 losses and a draw. Getting a draw at Watford with Burnley getting thumped by Cardiff sounds good to me, then they are also below us. As many clubs down there with us as possible please! Problem is that P'boro, Barnsley, Wolves and Hudds all have winnable matches as well - we probably have the toughest match of the weekend of that group, outside Burnley.

P'boro and Wolves propping up the form table along with Ipswich doesn't help. This table is the tightest in this division since 3 points for a win was implemented, and it is also going to require the highest number of points to stay up ever in the history of the division this year! The all-time highest minimum points for safety (52 points) is already matched now with at least 3 matches to play for all clubs.

Also looks like one of the lowest number of points ever required to make the playoffs as well. 70 points is the lowest so far under a 46 game schedule, and to match that Leicester need to take 6 of the last 9 available points, or Bolton/Forest 7 of 9.

Only 7 points between 9th and 22nd!!

We can theoretically still finish within tasting distance of the playoffs on 65 points, or rooted at 22nd on anywhere from 53-55 points. For a neutral, this would be one heck of an exciting few upcoming weeks!! For us it is going to be a nail biting nightmare!!

There's something inside me screaming 3 points.

I think we will at least draw.

Keeper

Kane Dann Givet Olsson3 (or Markus/Morris)

Bentley Williamson Jones King

Best Rhodes

Would be my team. Jones is wasted right wing, he's our best central midfielder. Bentley hasn't played well, but is capable of more than anyone in this side. Hopefully he hits some form.

The first Rovers player who hits the ball high into the air, close to Shittu should be subbed. Along with any second or third player who does the same.

Its a simple game lads just move Shittu around and catch him out.

I think I'd go with the same team but put Bentley in place of Best and have him behind the Rhodes. Watford play some good stuff in the middle of the park, I don't think 4-4-2 is the right formation to play at their place.

I think I'd go with the same team but put Bentley in place of Best and have him behind the Rhodes. Watford play some good stuff in the middle of the park, I don't think 4-4-2 is the right formation to play at their place.

As i've posted on the Rhodes thread LC - It's the most outdated formation in modern football now.

For me the norm formation (interestingly adopted in the early noughties (Bolton) by a one Sam Allardyce) is the 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation.

As i've posted on the Rhodes thread LC - It's the most outdated formation in modern football now.

For me the norm formation (interestingly adopted in the early noughties (Bolton) by a one Sam Allardyce) is the 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation.

Yeah I fully agree there. I hope we'll try to move that formation next season. I guess the problem is that we really only have King suited to the wide striker role (I think he'll make a very good left sided forward in time). Rochina could possibly make a good wide striker as well if he returns. Ideally you want wide strikers on the 'wrong' side so that they cut inside and support the front man, with full backs being the ones to get forward and supply crosses. Jones would provide very nice balance to the central area if we can hold onto him.

I can see why we've settled for 4-4-2 in desperate times because it's probably the easiest formation to implement, but only because it is pretty static and rigid. I just think the weaknesses will be heavily exposed by Watford's fluid system if we do it here.

Yeah I fully agree there. I hope we'll try to move that formation next season. I guess the problem is that we really only have King suited to the wide striker role (I think he'll make a very good left sided forward in time). Rochina could possibly make a good wide striker as well if he returns. Ideally you want wide strikers on the 'wrong' side so that they cut inside and support the front man, with full backs being the ones to get forward and supply crosses. Jones would provide very nice balance to the central area if we can hold onto him.

I can see why we've settled for 4-4-2 in desperate times because it's probably the easiest formation to implement, but only because it is pretty static and rigid. I just think the weaknesses will be heavily exposed by Watford's fluid system if we do it here.

Martin Olsson would be my left hand side choice if he's fit? He was at his best when Allardyce had him playing there i.e. Burnley away etc.

Our weakest area undoubtedly is Central Midfield but....

Sand

Kane Dann Givet Marcus

Williamson Lowe

Jones Dunny King

Rhodes

I believe CKR unavailable for the next two matches? Left side hasn't got a tackle between them there so perhaps swap jones and king around?

Martin Olsson would be my left hand side choice if he's fit? He was at his best when Allardyce had him playing there i.e. Burnley away etc.

Our weakest area undoubtedly is Central Midfield but....

Sand

Kane Dann Givet Marcus

Williamson Lowe

Jones Dunny King

Rhodes

I believe CKR unavailable for the next two matches? Left side hasn't got a tackle between them there so perhaps swap jones and king around?

Depends whether you're leaning more towards 4-3-3 or 4-5-1 I guess. I prefer a more fluid 4-3-3 with 1 proper striker and 2 wide strikers, complemented by overlapping fullbacks and a solid central midfield. To be more 4-5-1 (which would suit us far better at the moment) I agree Olsson would do well on that side. The only problem in that system is that your front man can get isolated because someone like Olsson won't come inside from that left wing naturally. However, the upside is that naturally more defensive players will make you harder to beat.

I guess the beauty of that formation is you change your wide places to suit the opposition. Even Man Utd do this, in tough games they'll play more conventional wide players in Giggs/Valencia etc and go more 4-5-1 for solidity, in games where they want to be on the front foot they'll go more 4-3-3 with wide strikers in Nani/Welbeck. Just one easy example, a lot of times seem to set themselves up like this nowadays. It's where 4-5-1/4-3-3 offers far more variation, 4-4-2 doesn't have that flexibility.

Archived