BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] News Article -> Rovers away at Millwall in the Championship, 23rd April.

• Backroom

To add to the Dortmund thing: They've had one of the best managerial prospects in Europe for years. Surprised Klopp hasn't had more widespread praise before now tbh.

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To add to the Dortmund thing: They've had one of the best managerial prospects in Europe for years. Surprised Klopp hasn't had more widespread praise before now tbh.

With a forward line of Lewandowski, Gotze, Reus and Blaszczykowski and a defence of Subotic and Hummels it'd be hard to fail!

Obviously that's doing him a disservice, Germany nurturing terrific young coaches as well as managers it seems. But they've got a hell of a team, I hope they keep them together but it's one that they've taken time to develop.

• Backroom

With a forward line of Lewandowski, Gotze, Reus and Blaszczykowski and a defence of Subotic and Hummels it'd be hard to fail!

Obviously that's doing him a disservice, Germany nurturing terrific young coaches as well as managers it seems. But they've got a hell of a team, I hope they keep them together but it's one that they've taken time to develop.

His achievements at Mainz, too, were remarkable before their downfall. Their first Bundesliga appearance and their first UEFA Cup qualification :)

Also, wanna say a massive thanks to Gary Bowyer for saving our season. Him and Rhodes are the guys I'll really be clapping on the lap of honour on saturday.

I really hope they don't do a lap of honour on the grounds of managing to stay up when we were one of the favourites for promotion at the start of the season, it would be cringeworthy.

• Backroom

I really hope they don't do a lap of honour on the grounds of managing to stay up when we were one of the favourites for promotion at the start of the season, it would be cringeworthy.

I think you misunderstand the purpose of a lap of honour. It's not a celebration, it's to say 'thanks'. Last season they didn't have one, which was absolutely insulting imo and solely to protect Kean.

I think you misunderstand the purpose of a lap of honour. It's not a celebration, it's to say 'thanks'. Last season they didn't have one, which was absolutely insulting imo and solely to protect Kean.

Talk about an empty gesture then, certain players in that team have made clear their dislike for the fans. I hope the likes of Orr, Murphy and Best don't decide to join in as that would be an insult imo.

His achievements at Mainz, too, were remarkable before their downfall. Their first Bundesliga appearance and their first UEFA Cup qualification :)

Okay I was only making a hypothetical scenario, I worked in Germany so know how big the team was/is, My point was the fans and the team seem to be united, as i remember we were in our promotion season with Flitcroft, Jansen, souey etc, and we need to get that back, how, well thats the million dollar question, if we got that feeling back then we would be getting somewhere.

Edited by EgyptianPete

Yeah, fair play, I agree with all you and DE say, not arguing it. We were well run and everything was going well for a long time back then. I know that. It's more the presumption that things were going to continue that way.

The writing was always on the wall that we were going to struggle to maintain that level, I think John Williams even said it himself in an interview once. Just look at Bolton and Wolves, similar clubs to us, both relegated. And Wolves's predicament now. All done without Venky's. Wigan will no doubt go down this season after a good run up there. It's tough to keep fighting with the big boys. Stoke and Sunderland have spent fortunes and very nearly slipped towards the trapdoor this season.

That's all I am saying really. There was certainly no guarantees over our future IMO, and the notion that we were a stable top 10 or even mid-table club seems flawed to me. We could well have been heading on a not too dissimilar path regardless, the annoying thing about Venky's is that it has all been so avoidable, and through their sheer incompetence they have compounded the already fragile situation we were in.

I agree with this. Ince inherited a much better team than Baldy did yet had us going down before he'd even got his nameplate up on the door. But for the miracle that was Jon Stead, Souness would have taken us down also.

Yeah but he said worst season, not team. Didn't you bounce between division 2 and 3 in the 70's? Surely seasons where you were relegated to the third tier have to be classed as 'worse' - though I accept possibly my favourite season was when we were in the 4th division so what do I know.

Either way, we are back to 2 bald men arguing over a comb as one poster so succinctly put it, we have both been @#/? this season and look like staying up by the skin of our teeth - though we are still slightly in danger of dropping.

We've had kean teams in the past but at least the blokes out there were giving it their best shot. This season I can't say that, we've had too many who had nothing beating under the badge.

• Backroom

So was the highly rated prospect myles Anderson then?

Unwin and Dilo (assuming you're referring to your Q re: released youngsters?)

Edited by darrenermike

I love the way Phillip has gone silent on this 'released youngster' comment. Truth is if they'd have been good enough then we wouldn't have released them.

And before someone says it I know there have been exceptions to the rule over the years from clubs worldwide.

Edited by Somerset Rover!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.